Brook Trout

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
September 3-9th I'm going on a backpacking scouting/fishing trip. Brook trout is what I'm focusing on but I don't have much experience with trout. The ones I have caught are the little guys in streams and small creeks but I've got a lake I'll be packing into and spending a few days on. Bait wise, what would be a good option to better my chances at catching a few meal size fish instead of snack size? I figure I'll catch a couple crickets, flys, moths, and other natural eatery along the way to and at the lake itself but I wanna have something I can fall back on and just enjoy a few days at the lake with. Thanks guys!

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Rooster tails or Panther Martins, have a variety of colors, and go and have fun. In my experience, brookies are the easiest trout to catch and are pretty voracious feeders, so I wouldn't be too concerned regarding having any trouble catching them in a lake that requires a backpacking trip to access.
Thank you! I caught all my little ones on quarter inch white grubs from gulp. I loved runnin rooster tails for crappie and bluegill back home in Missouri so I'll break out my "back home" box and give em a swim for the first time in about 2 years. Thanks so much!

mlgc20

WKR
I have caught all sorts of different trout on Jakes Stream-a-lures. I generally just take those in a variety of colors. Although, I’ve had the most success on the gold and red version.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
September 3-9th I'm going on a backpacking scouting/fishing trip. Brook trout is what I'm focusing on but I don't have much experience with trout. The ones I have caught are the little guys in streams and small creeks but I've got a lake I'll be packing into and spending a few days on. Bait wise, what would be a good option to better my chances at catching a few meal size fish instead of snack size? I figure I'll catch a couple crickets, flys, moths, and other natural eatery along the way to and at the lake itself but I wanna have something I can fall back on and just enjoy a few days at the lake with. Thanks guys!

I would bring a 1/16th oz, gold Rooster tail. That has been the best spinner for creek and high mountain trout I have used. I usually carry a few of those and nothing else.

I was tossing little flowers into a creek a few years ago, and the brookies were hammering them lol-

They’re not a tricky fish to catch, good suggestions so far, hope you enjoy your trip.

Trr15

WKR
Not sure where or how high you’re going, but trout in high alpine lakes will hit just about anything in my experience. Just had my son out on Saturday fishing lakes about 10k feet and he was hammering them on wax worms, red worms, salmon eggs and I was pulling them on flies (tenkara rod) no matter the pattern. Their window to eat is small at elevation, so they’re easy to catch. Fun too. Enjoy the trip.
1595303541266.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brookies love pistol Petes.

Also, call me a cheater but I take a spinning reel and throw a bubble with a fly. Currently, my backpacking setup is a takedown Shakespeare with an ice fishing reel loaded with light fluorocarbon. That and a few Caddis flies pulled about 30 cutthroats out of a high lake a few weeks ago for me.

Laramie

WKR
I like a bubble and fly personally. That allows you to cast significantly further to reach more fish. Small renegade, QT, black gnat, small wolly (black or green), etc... Run a 5-6' leader of 4-6lb XL line. I haven't found a mountain lake yet that these didn't work on.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
As others have pointed out Brook trout are not finicky. I've caught 10 inch Brooks on 2 inch minnows,. I've had success with earthworms and several different fly patterns along with the spinning hardware stuff.

If there are large Brook trout where you are going and you want to target them try catching/using crayfish, minnows, night-crawlers etc. Big Brook trout are serious meat eaters.

Laramie

WKR
Nice fish. I wouldn't expect to find them that size where I pack in to. I think our best was 19" in a high mountain lake in southern Wyoming. Pretty rare to get them over 14" up there.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
That is a native Lake Nipigon, Ontario brookie. We have caught them up to 27" in June. They are in 2-4' of water 30 miles from shore on island rock beds at that time of the year. My favorite fish!

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I always throw in a couple blue/silver little cleo spoons. If I cant get them to go on mepps/panther martins they usually will still hit a spoon.