Brookes Ranges Aviation

montee77

FNG
Hi guys me and a buddy are going on are first caribou hunt in 2015 late august early sep, has anyone flown with jay and judy? How was the hunt? any info would be great.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have flown with them, though not for caribou. They are very well organized and seemed to run a top notch outfit.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I did a caribou drop with BRA a few years ago. I was very happy with their operation. They were professional, friendly, responded quickly to email questions, and had quality planes and pilots.

When we came out of the field we boned out our meat in the back of the hanger where they have a kitchen area with some large counters for processing meat. Then boxed up our meat and stored it over night in their freezers. They also have a bunk house for something like $10 a night or a couple small cabins if you want something to yourself.

I've flown in and out of Kotzebue a number of times for work and can say that for a few extra dollars Bettles offers a much more enjoyable experience. Would love to get back up to Bettles for another trip with BRA. It was an awesome trip.

OP
M

montee77

FNG
Thanks for info, in your guys experience when is the best time of year for caribou hunt?

Akdaniels

FNG
Great company. Dropped us in great spot with lots of animals. Going with them again in 2016.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, Jay and Judy are good to go. Flew with them on a DIY dall sheep hunt up in the Gates of the Arctic refuge. Just don't buy beer at the local bar in Bettles. I think I paid $35.00 for a six pack. And I would have to say it was worth it................

Randy

ckr

FNG
Montee77, sounds like my partner and I might see you there. Just sent deposit to Judy for hunt this year. We'll be coming from NW PA. If all goes moderately according to plan we'll be in Bettles on Aug. 29th, hoping to get flown in on Sat. the 30th. Appreciate some of the info. here in regard to shipping gear, packing meat etc. We've been working on logistics and differnet ways to get stuff there and back for a while now. I'm sure it'll all work out but it definately requires some planning and organization.

Im in Erie. Have hunted Brooks Range Caribou twice. If you need any help or advice let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Johnboy

WKR
ckr, I'm heading into a different part of the Brooks in 2016, but I did very detailed research of various options and concluded that BRA would be my prime choice for flying into the central Brooks.

The way I would do it is to fly into Fairbanks, rent a U-Haul van in Fairbanks and then drive to Grayling Lake via the Haul Road (5-6 hour drive). BRA will pick you up from Grayling Lake via Beaver on floats and fly you directly to the bush. Then on the backstretch, they'll take you back to your U-Haul and you'll head back to Fairbanks with your gear and hopefully a good cache of meat.

I would have arrangements made for this guy to pick up your meat/antlers and deliver them to a rendezvous point near(ish) your home in PA: http://www.alaskaexpresstrucking.com/. Note that this operation used to be called "Alaska Meat Express". It's the same operation now run by a different operator. It's the best deal going for getting entire animals and un-split antlers back to the lower 48.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your hunt!

Lil-Rokslider
Not many if any U-haul vans to rent in Fairbanks. They have 1 or 2 pick-ups and very few Box Van trucks but don't get caught taking them up the Dalton highway because they not allowed by company policy. I think there are a couple of places that rent vehicles you can take up the Haul Road but it want be cheap. Yes, I live in fairbanks and have lived here for 20+ years. I have also flown with BRA numerous times and they are good people. I will fly with them again and Grayling Lake is a nice pick up spot but they have been having issues with another charter sservice that has started using Grayling lake. The other charter service thinks they own Grayling lake but thats another story.

mooster

WKR
ckr, I'm heading into a different part of the Brooks in 2016, but I did very detailed research of various options and concluded that BRA would be my prime choice for flying into the central Brooks.

The way I would do it is to fly into Fairbanks, rent a U-Haul van in Fairbanks and then drive to Grayling Lake via the Haul Road (5-6 hour drive). BRA will pick you up from Grayling Lake via Beaver on floats and fly you directly to the bush. Then on the backstretch, they'll take you back to your U-Haul and you'll head back to Fairbanks with your gear and hopefully a good cache of meat.

I would have arrangements made for this guy to pick up your meat/antlers and deliver them to a rendezvous point near(ish) your home in PA: Alaska Express hauling moose and caribou to lower 48 from Alaska. Note that this operation used to be called "Alaska Meat Express". It's the same operation now run by a different operator. It's the best deal going for getting entire animals and un-split antlers back to the lower 48.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your hunt!

Johnboy, sorry for my ignorance, but whats the advantage of meeting them on the haulroad instead of flying into Bettles?

Johnboy

WKR
Johnboy, sorry for my ignorance, but whats the advantage of meeting them on the haulroad instead of flying into Bettles?
It's been a while since I've weighed out these options, but I think it came down to meat transport. Hauling a couple of moose (meese?) back to Fairbanks was a lot cheaper by ground than by air.

Last edited: