Brooks Range 2021 Return Training and Gear Prep Begins

bates

WKR
Reality is finally starting to sink in and its time to get ready for sheep hunting again.

I hunted up in the Brooks a few years ago, loved it, I have now sat out for 4 years and ready to return.

Overall I plan to keep alot of things the same but will make a few changes in gear and training as the hunt approaches

I am 240 ish days out but this year I need to do a few things different in training.

One sitting here today I need to loose 20 -25 or so pounds to be the similar weight as I was 4 years ago. this covid defiantly has had an effect Ive gained an easy 15lbs over the past few months. Mainly just poor food choices, little cardio, increased drinking and eating with everything going on. Not horrible i still work out and do some running 1 to 3 times per week but starting 10lbs or so heavier than last go around.

but its time to turn things around and get back on the right direction

Also this time I will be down in the Keys for 2 weeks in July so I need to plan that into the training program, i will be able to do some training down there but most of it will be flat roads, so I can run and walk with a pack, with that in mind I am starting my training now to give myself more time to get ready.

Training wise what I did last go around was lots of cardio and running for a few months after the start of the new year, mainly to drop some weight and increase my aerobic base. I kept that up doing a long run every Sunday peaking 2 weeks before the hunt then tapered off , I plan to do the same and get to wear I can easily run 7 to 8 miles and peak around 10miles for a jog.

I plan to still do some bodyweight and weight training, once or twice per week. I live in Florida so I found thrusters, weighted lunges and jumping lunges to really help.

In general I am planning on 90 to 95 days of weighted pack work.... for me that starts out around 35lbs with the bulk of my training in a 50lb pack I will probably go up to 70 lbs for a few work outs but the majority will be at 50lbs.

For me most of my work is on a stair climber at the gym with the goal being minimum of 2 days per week but sometimes 3 days per week on the stair mill. I will probably start at 20min and build up to an hour but vary the time on how I am feeling.

Then i will also add in longer hikes with a weighted pack, we have a state park with soft sand that works and breaks things up.

Diet wise I am going to try an every 2 to 3 day extended 14 to 20 hour intermittent fast. Main goal is just to eat clean, clean protein, lots of veggies, coffee naturally and some carbs in the form of potatoes, brown rice and pasta just maintain a balance and cut out snacks, fried food etc.

will still have a cheat meal from time to time but just going to clean things up

the biggest thing for me is reducing the alcohol consumption, I have definitely drank more this year than prior, usually a glass or 3 of wine 2 to 5 nights per week but for me that usually is followed up with some snacking or when i am drinking at dinner i will over eat.

I will still drink some wine from time to time but just limit it to a few times here and there.....

excited to begin this journey

OP
B

bates

WKR
Gear List

Alot of this will be the same or similar gear as last time.

The 2 big unknows right now are rain gear and puffy jacket.

Last time i took a yukon jacket and chugach pants, that jacket was too heavy and once we got rained on it stayed damp the entire trip, just added extra weight and bulk.

after 10 days on Kodiak last year I saw how the helly hansen performed and became a believer

My plan this time is to watch the weather and game a game time decision

I have 2 options for your typical packable/breathable rain gear

Kuiu Katana Set
Arcteryx Beta AR jacket and Leaf Alpha Lt Pants (well technically have both the alpha and alpha lt pants)

I havent used the katana in the field but just based on intial feels and impressions i am leaning towards Arcteryx.

I have been super impressed with the gear so far, main draw back is the noise... its not the most quiet, but i will be rifle hunting...

other item up for debate is puffy jacket. last time i took a kuiu ultra hooded, it worked but I did think it was a bit lacking warmth wise, I have since on the past few hunts used the lost park, to me its like putting on a sleeping bag, its keep me warm when i have been cold and wet.

but i am also looking at the new sitka gear kelvin lite down jacket, its a blend of down and primaloft

enough rambling on to the known items

Gear
Stone Glacier 6900
Exped HL sleeping pad
Kuiu 15 degree sleeping bag
tent provided by outfitter

Clothing

Stone Glacier Pant
Peleton 97 zip off long johns
ex offico boxers
kuiu katana gaiters
kuiu superdown old school puffy pant

first lite light weight merino long sleeve shirt
one extra shirt- Sitka gear core
kuiu 97 peleton hoody

farm to feet socks with a lightweight liner
lathrop and sons boots

couple of pairs of light liner gloves
kuiu guide gloves
neck gaiter
lucky carhartt beanie
kuiu glassing down mits
ball cap

small personal kit
wet wipes
tooth brush
contacts, glasses and solution
leukotape

small fire starter kit, lighters and trioxane
iridium go
extra battery packs
black diamond head lamp

swaro el 8x32 bino w/ leica rangefinder in stone glacier or outdoor vision harness

nalgene bottle
spoon

Good luck!
Look up my fitness pal app. It will help you keep on your food and water intake goals. I used it for a while to change my eating habits.
Good luck.

I’m 220 6’2 and hope to get to 205 and possibly sub 200 by summer. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen sub 200

wyosteve

WKR
I use a Kelvin lite down jacket and have been happy with the warmth. Although I haven't worn it in any negative temps.

I'm pumped for you man! I'll be up there as well.
Draw will determine location...

Shoot me a text on the rain gear...I did another gear comparison between 8 different companies/pieces. Same as last time. Shower test, humidity test, stretch test with jig, water weight retention test, plus weight/material/noise etc. May have a solution for you.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I recommend skipping the Sitka puffy for an alternative. I had one and found the weight and volume penalty too much for the little warmth it offered. Recommend taking a look at the Stone Glaccier, First Lite Chamberlin or a custom Nunatak.

OP
B

bates

WKR
Thanks for the info.... i have been eyeing the Stone Glacier puffy but they havent been in stock in my size for a bit.....

Cant think of a better puffy for dall sheep hunting than the nunatak PCT but I think they may be done making Apex completely..

It's not sexy but you can approach Kif Lost Park warmth and weather resistance at down puffy weight/space.

I know a couple of Jonah's guides were very intrigued by mine last year.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
For what it is worth...... Two years ago I did a mountain back pack hunt with a pack that was a weighed 65#. I was in really good cardio shape and was doing hours and hours of cardio each week.....like 7-12 hours a week. My trip was good but I struggled a bit. This last year I went on the same trip with the same pack weight and I did a bunch more weight lifting. I actually thought I might have done to much and not enough cardio. Well my results were a little surprising. I had a much easier time the second year when I did much, much more weight lifting than cardio. My recovery time was much less and I got around much better. Something to think about but I would focus on doing a bunch more weight lifting and maybe a little less cardio.

OP
B

bates

WKR
wind gypsy, yes i definitely agree i lift weights usually 2 to 3 times per week

and agree that it helps

i know i did an archery elk hunt and did nothing but running and once i added weighted stair steps, weight thrusters, lunges and squats I noticed an improvement in my mountain performance

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For what it is worth...... Two years ago I did a mountain back pack hunt with a pack that was a weighed 65#. I was in really good cardio shape and was doing hours and hours of cardio each week.....like 7-12 hours a week. My trip was good but I struggled a bit. This last year I went on the same trip with the same pack weight and I did a bunch more weight lifting. I actually thought I might have done to much and not enough cardio. Well my results were a little surprising. I had a much easier time the second year when I did much, much more weight lifting than cardio. My recovery time was much less and I got around much better. Something to think about but I would focus on doing a bunch more weight lifting and maybe a little less cardio.

I’ve had similar experiences, the first time I ever went sheep hunting was a decade ago, during that time all I did was run for training, I was lean but the hunt was hard, 2 years later, work had gotten in the way of high volume training, all I did was lift heavy 3 days a week, I felt much better hunting that year. I’ve also had a few years where all I did for training were kettlebell swings and Turkish get ups with a 70lb kettlebell, I did that 5-6 days a week and felt great when it was time to hit the mountains.

Cardio training is great but I prefer an emphasis on strength over just pure cardio.

AKaDougie

FNG
I don't go on any hunt here in AK without my lost park parka. It is by far the best puffy I have used.

I ran the Kuiu Kutana rain pants this past year and to my disbelief they help up to everything. They dry super fast too. My hunting partner rain the jacket with no issues for the last 2 years. I have ran the Firstlite SEAK rain jacket for a few years and it has been good to me. All rain gear has its pros and cons you just have to be honest to your own needs to make the determination.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don't go on any hunt here in AK without my lost park parka. It is by far the best puffy I have used.

I ran the Kuiu Kutana rain pants this past year and to my disbelief they help up to everything. They dry super fast too. My hunting partner rain the jacket with no issues for the last 2 years. I have ran the Firstlite SEAK rain jacket for a few years and it has been good to me. All rain gear has its pros and cons you just have to be honest to your own needs to make the determination.

Same here, I keep a LPP pullover and pants in a stuff sack. Can be a lifesaver.

OP
B

bates

WKR
ha ha after 2 years I am starting to feel the same way about my LPP and why i sold most of my down

i agree on those Kutana drying super fast, last year on Kodiak i had on Yukon pants, buddy wore Kutana and his pants dried alot faster, my yukon stayed wet the entire trip.

that is why i bought the kutana set after that experience

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Ive been using that stone glacier rain jacket this past year, its ok, the pockets always feel wet though.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
For me, if I had to do only one exercise to prep for a sheep hunt, it'd be air squats...lots of em. Look up the app "squats coach". Builds cardio and muscle. Lately I've been incorporating a 35 lb kettle bell into the work out. It gets harrrrddd!

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with of the posts above. Look to training that will duplicate your sheep hunting. This is the SAID theory and stands for Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. My opinion is based on my vast experience from my one and only sheep hunt.
You will be walking and climbing on broken ground and rock/shale. A stair master is ok but I thought using a step up box (with items under it to make it unstable) and wearing a backpack helped me. I also added a stool that was about knee high and would go from step box to floor to stool and vice versa. Thought it helped my core as well. I watched a lot of sheep hunting videos while doing this.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Also doing a Dall Sheep hunt in 2021. Used the Stone Glacier puffy all year -- from Nevada to Washington and Wyoming and it's coming with me to AK. Really recommend it.