Brooks Range 2021 Return Training and Gear Prep Begins

OP
B

bates

WKR
little update...

a buddy of mine who has done numerous mountain hunts recommended that I contact Todd Bumgardner about some programming.

we connected chatted about the hunt, he sent over an assessment and sample programming.

I have since signed up and receive programming direct from him.

Most weeks are 6 days of work, typically heavier strength training early in the week with some cardio on the other days. lifting typically 2 or 3 days per week with cardio the rest.

so far its been great, definitely getting stronger, usually Saturday entails work in the pack, still early in the process but have gotten a good dose of pack work so far.

he has a podcast - Human-Predator-Pack Mule

I would highly recommend anyone training for a hunt or just life in general reach out to him.

I don't go on any hunt here in AK without my lost park parka. It is by far the best puffy I have used.

I ran the Kuiu Kutana rain pants this past year and to my disbelief they help up to everything. They dry super fast too. My hunting partner rain the jacket with no issues for the last 2 years. I have ran the Firstlite SEAK rain jacket for a few years and it has been good to me. All rain gear has its pros and cons you just have to be honest to your own needs to make the determination.
In your opinion, the firstlite seak is a solid system to bring to Alaska? I’m planning a moose hunt and normally wear first lite stuff, just wondering if it’ll hold up fine or if I should save some money up and look elsewhere for rain gear? Thank you

AKaDougie

FNG
In your opinion, the firstlite seak is a solid system to bring to Alaska? I’m planning a moose hunt and normally wear first lite stuff, just wondering if it’ll hold up fine or if I should save some money up and look elsewhere for rain gear? Thank you
It all depends...
The only "solid" rain gear is the rubber stuff, however, I will not hike with that stuff on.
For normal wet weather (no kodiak weather) I would say the FirstLite SEAK is good to go if you already have it. I am running Seak jacket and Kuiu Katana pants for most all hunts.

I really like the Kuiu Yukon set (have had a set for about 7 years), however, once it gets wet all the way through it takes forever to dry.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
little update...

a buddy of mine who has done numerous mountain hunts recommended that I contact Todd Bumgardner about some programming.

we connected chatted about the hunt, he sent over an assessment and sample programming.

I have since signed up and receive programming direct from him.

Most weeks are 6 days of work, typically heavier strength training early in the week with some cardio on the other days. lifting typically 2 or 3 days per week with cardio the rest.

so far its been great, definitely getting stronger, usually Saturday entails work in the pack, still early in the process but have gotten a good dose of pack work so far.

he has a podcast - Human-Predator-Pack Mule

I would highly recommend anyone training for a hunt or just life in general reach out to him.

I think in regards to training, the "missing link" for a lot of folks is what he addresses in his podcast- "Train all day"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/25-train-all-day/id1519359067?i=1000509550782

Cardio is great, HIIT is great, strength training is great, but time on your feet is the one piece missing from a lot of folk's training- I'm sure part of it is time restraints.

If you want to hunt all day long and day after day, you'll do yourself a huge favor by including some very high volume days prior to your hunt.

Many moons ago, when I was logging in NW Montana- hauling a heavy chainsaw up and down mountains 5 days a week, we never gave training even a thought in regards to elk hunting. We didn't need to, we were getting high volume "training" on a regular basis.

It's been 40-ish years since I toted a chainsaw for a living, but I've embraced high volume training (time on your feet) as a very critical piece of the puzzle for mountain hunting.

OP
B

bates

WKR
Yeah I agree
Just getting started but I did 5 miles in the pack on Saturday

and plan to do 7 to 10 miles this Saturday. definitely good to get time under the pack and with hunting boots on, i could feel a little tightness in my calve the following day, but good to go now.