Brooks range hunt

I’m headed up to the brooks range middle to through late September for a 15 day hunt. I’ll be doing a hourseback spike camp hunt.
I thought I had everything planned out but a few things.
I’ve never done anything like this. I’m from Alabama where people wear jackets when its 40 degrees.
I duck hunt in ND every year and that’s really the only cold I’ve ever delt with. I’ve never done wet and cold.
The things I’m concerned on are everyday pants. I think they need to be insulated and rain pants.

I own or borrowed the following
Thermals
1 light weight set of Sitka thermals
1 heavy weight set of Sitka thermals

Shirts
1 Kuiu insulated snap shirt
1 Kuiu heavy weight pull over
1 Cabela’s long sleeve medium weight shirt.

Pants
Cabela’s guide pants ( I don’t love them ) they just aren’t real comfortable and thin.
Sitka light pants ( don’t know what type I’ve had them 10+ years)
First light Puffy Pants.

Jackets
Kuiu super pro puffy
First light seek water proof jacket

Socks
3 Medium weight
3 heavy weight

Undies
6 pair

Gloves
Insulated leather and unislated leather for riding days
Sitka fleece gloves with liners

Head gear
Sitka heavy weight hat
Kuiu water proof hat

Boots
Crispi uninsulated
Pacboots with insulated liners

Personal note when I’ve hunted in ND in single digit temps and I’m walking fields where everyone is bundled up with a neck warmers multiple layers. I’ll have a light jacket and a thermal top.
However when I stop I do get pretty cold and will bundle up like if I’m laying in a lay out blind.
I did a Nebraska hunt in the teens and I sweated my honey off. When we set up to glass I froze!
So Healy Hanson for waterproof scare me as I tried them on and just afraid I’ll sweat

Thanks guys

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
An advanced welcome to Alaska to you! You are going to have an adventure for sure, and the Brooks Range is truly spectacular and unique. Sounds like you are going on a guided hunt, so I'm sure you're already getting some good guidance.

September up here (and that far north), you have to think cold at times and very likely wet at times (hopefully, not ALL the time), and I can see that you are already thinking about that...excellent. In the spirit of being helpful, I'll make a couple of suggestions...

A reliable rain coat and rain pants are always first and foremost up here...period. You've got to have total confidence in what you bring to keep you dry (and then hope you don't need them!). Are you totally confident? My preference is a rain jacket that breathes and has pit-zips so I don't sweat myself wet, and rain pants that breathe with a full length side zipper for easy on/off and venting options. The best rain jacket and pants that I have ever owned is my KUIU Yukon set...well worth the money for me as an active outdoor Alaskan, but not for everyone and a bit pricy.

You're going to be very happy with your puffy jacket and pants in the evening when eating your "umteenth" Mountain House dinner at the end of a long day, as well as when glassing in a cold wind...good move sir! That said, you sure don't want to wear those when hiking and walking around. I didn't really see another jacket on your list other than rain jacket. Think about another jacket to wear when on the move, e.g., one with pit-zips, some lite insulation, and wind protection with a hood. You can wear your fleece layer under or not, and throw your puffy over as needed (or rain coat layer if raining). I learned early on that I quickly work-up a sweat when active and wearing down insultation, so I always have another jacket that I pretty much live-in...adding the puffy/down as needed. I also always have an insulated vest that I can wear to give me some options...like when I'm up to my armpits field dressing an animal.

Add a light-weight stocking cap that you can wear under your everyday hat...it's kind of nice in the wind. Also you can sleep in it at night...I pretty much wear mine continuously until I get into a shower at the end of the hunt!

I wish you the best and apologize for the long post!

Last edited:
I’m headed up to the brooks range middle to through late September for a 15 day hunt. I’ll be doing a hourseback spike camp hunt.
I thought I had everything planned out but a few things.
I’ve never done anything like this. I’m from Alabama where people wear jackets when its 40 degrees.
I duck hunt in ND every year and that’s really the only cold I’ve ever delt with. I’ve never done wet and cold.
The things I’m concerned on are everyday pants. I think they need to be insulated and rain pants.

I own or borrowed the following
Thermals
1 light weight set of Sitka thermals
1 heavy weight set of Sitka thermals

Shirts
1 Kuiu insulated snap shirt
1 Kuiu heavy weight pull over
1 Cabela’s long sleeve medium weight shirt.

Pants
Cabela’s guide pants ( I don’t love them ) they just aren’t real comfortable and thin.
Sitka light pants ( don’t know what type I’ve had them 10+ years)
First light Puffy Pants.

Jackets
Kuiu super pro puffy
First light seek water proof jacket

Socks
3 Medium weight
3 heavy weight

Undies
6 pair

Gloves
Insulated leather and unislated leather for riding days
Sitka fleece gloves with liners

Head gear
Sitka heavy weight hat
Kuiu water proof hat

Boots
Crispi uninsulated
Pacboots with insulated liners

Personal note when I’ve hunted in ND in single digit temps and I’m walking fields where everyone is bundled up with a neck warmers multiple layers. I’ll have a light jacket and a thermal top.
However when I stop I do get pretty cold and will bundle up like if I’m laying in a lay out blind.
I did a Nebraska hunt in the teens and I sweated my honey off. When we set up to glass I froze!
So Healy Hanson for waterproof scare me as I tried them on and just afraid I’ll sweat

Thanks guys
I have not used the Cabela’s guide pants, but I love the First Light Catalyst pants! Light weight, warm but not too warm, and they stretch and feel like pajama pants. The new ones even have zippers on the legs to dump heat and they are DWR coated. Absolutely awesome.

I would also recommend the FL merino boxers. They dry fast and have never stank even when wearing the same pair for 7 days backpack hunting. I would think 2 pairs would be enough.

You'll beat me to the Brooks range but I would cut back on the underwear. Ditch the Cabela's pants and get some from Kuiu/Sitka/First Lite. And get a set of quality rain gear.

rayporter

WKR
i would personally advise against full length zippers on rain pants that you will ride in. you cant keep out the water when in the saddle.

cold wet leather gloves are no fun. i would either bring another pair of wool gloves or leave out one pair of leather.

Im from Alabama. Planning Alaska 2023. Am slowly marking items off my gear list. Going to test gear and break in some pieces in Bankhead this fall. Would enjoy talking with you.