Broomfield CO - moving whats it like?

Got a job offer with great promotion and salary increase. It’s located in Broomsfield CO.

any locals care to share pros/cons. Havent accepted yet as im skeptical to the housing market there. I have no idea where wed live. My house im in now is worth 375k but the cheapest i found out there is 450-500k. Curious if there is any surban area thats not crazy liberal or as expensive (key word ‘as’). Whats traffic around broomfield like (precovid).

i do want do want to bring my right wing voting habits to the state. Give them a reverse california treatment ;). But again housing seems insane.

Seeing that 3 out of 10 of your sentences are about pushing liberal buttons, Broomfield..the front range..or most of Colorado probably isn’t your best move.

prm

WKR
Well, it’s right down the road from the Peoples Republic of Boulder. I lived right there for a period in College and commuted to Boulder, though that was a long time ago. Between Broomfield and Longmont there used to be some nice areas. Just depends on what you’re looking for. Will be MUCH more crowded than out in the Shenandoah valley.

Northpark

WKR
Just moved from CO to AZ. The front range from Denver area north is pretty liberal and very expensive. If your looking for “cheaper” housing the front range probably won’t offer much. CO is just expensive and basically becoming California. I moved to AZ and my standard of living doubled.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in broomfield and spend 25 years in that area. Those $500k houses are equivalent to $250-350k houses in other parts of Colorado not on the front range. It's a nice area with good schools but very suburban jungle. Closest fishing is standley lake or boulder res (20 - 45 minute drive), absolute closest hunting (big or small game) is at least 1.5 hours and it will be super high pressure. Closest shooting range 1-2 hour drive. Skiing is about 2 hours each way on the weekend without a big storm or crashes on I-70. A lot of traffic and congestion getting around town. But good restaurants and concerts close by if you're into that. It's not a bad place but if you're into the outdoors, it's not very convenient to access the places you want be.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s a little unique city and county (used to be a small city that was in three different counties so they become their own). Recently annexed several areas around a highway so you have new suburban sprawl or old town that grew up 1960-80. What part you’re looking at really matters as to your taste.

Otherwise it’s just town on the edge of a city.

OP
540-Virginian
These are all good data points. We would want to be able to ski, hunt, fish. But sounds like not as convenient as one would imagine. The fishing part surpised me. our main reason to want ro move out there is to have better skiing. We have resorts 45 min to 3 hours away, but its as bad as you'd imagine.

we lived in DC so used to the house price differences. The area from googling seems lower cost of living than DC. But not by much.

curious what you me by the ‘front range?’

Thanks for the replies.

Felix40

WKR
My sister lives in the area and I don’t visit her there. If you like living in a giant city then you might like it. It’s just too much for me. The smog, vagrants on every corner, drugs, traffic, liberals, silly laws are all too much for me. It really blew me away when I heard it costs over $200 to register a vehicle and you have to get a permit to own a dog.

The front range is essentially everything East of the divide. Mostly people use it to refer to Denver and Boulder. The western slope is west of the divide and is generally the more common sense side of the state.

OP
540-Virginian
Winter Park was my favorite ski spot when i rode a lot back on day. Sounds like i may be better planning a week trip 1x year vs trying to live in a city i may be miserable in.

we left DC because of the traffic and housing costs, and the things we wanted to do (hike, hunt, fish) were more than an hour away. Sounds like boulder now i read these posts. Lol.

thanks again for all the comments!

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
These are all good data points. We would want to be able to ski, hunt, fish. But sounds like not as convenient as one would imagine. The fishing part surpised me. our main reason to want ro move out there is to have better skiing. We have resorts 45 min to 3 hours away, but its as bad as you'd imagine.

we lived in DC so used to the house price differences. The area from googling seems lower cost of living than DC. But not by much.

Thanks for the replies.
Front range is the corridor along I25 up to the foothills. Colorado Springs (South) Denver in the middle and up to Ft. Collins to the north.

I grew up in broomfield and spend 25 years in that area. Those $500k houses are equivalent to $250-350k houses in other parts of Colorado not on the front range. It's a nice area with good schools but very suburban jungle. Closest fishing is standley lake or boulder res (20 - 45 minute drive), absolute closest hunting (big or small game) is at least 1.5 hours and it will be super high pressure. Closest shooting range 1-2 hour drive. Skiing is about 2 hours each way on the weekend without a big storm or crashes on I-70. A lot of traffic and congestion getting around town. But good restaurants and concerts close by if you're into that. It's not a bad place but if you're into the outdoors, it's not very convenient to access the places you want be.

I'll second this - very accurate description of the area and how not convenient it is for a sportsman, despite what you may hear/read. The access is there, just not convenient.

FWIW, I lived 15 min from there for 6 years, wife worked in Broomfield for most of that time.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Not exactly where you'll be, but I have a VG friend that moved to Colorado Springs in 2019. We discuss some of your conundrum often. He's already made 125k on his house and it's just a nice upper middle class home.

I have a couple comments:

1) If housing is too expensive, that seems like an excellent reason to ask for more $ to do the move.

2) One more sane, moral and good person in that land o' libtards is like a gnat on an elephant's ass so I'd be prepared to endure all things libtard-like for as long as you live (a/k/a as long as you can stand it) there.

Good luck,

Eddie

Buck197

WKR
Just moved from CO to AZ. The front range from Denver area north is pretty liberal and very expensive. If your looking for “cheaper” housing the front range probably won’t offer much. CO is just expensive and basically becoming California. I moved to AZ and my standard of living doubled.
When I lived out there in the mid 90s Colorado was fast becoming the new Cali, they all sold those high dollar Cali homes and bought alot more house for alot less in Highlands ranch, and basically over aloy of Colorado, it broke my heart...

def90

WKR

Thanks for the replies.

The Front Range is the name of the mountain range tnat runs north south from Ft Collins down to Colorado Springs, it is also used as a term for those cities that run north south along the I25 corridor. Broomfield is nice, it’s about halfway between Denver and Boulder so you will be about 10-15 minutes from Downtown Denver and 10-15 minutes to downtown Boulder.

Skiing, you have a fairly straight shot up I70 to any of 8 world class ski resorts within an hour and a half on an average ski traffic day. Fishing wise you have the South Platte tailwater of Cheeseman Canyon and Deckers one of the greatest trout fisheries in the country. You also have the South Platte through Waterton Canyon, Clear Creek and Boulder Creek within easy distance.

Hunting, you have it all. Elk to the west, mule deer all around you, pronghorn to the north, east and south as well as whitetails to the north east and south.

street

WKR
We could use more of your kind of votes. I live in that area, can PM me if you have specific questions.

Compared to where you're at now, Broomfield sounds like a serious upgrade. Sure, it's not optimum, but there is a ton of stuff to do within an hour from Broomfield.

Fishing................. Check

Hunting..................Check

Sking.........................1/2 Check

Restaurants..................... Check

Colorado has changed alot, but it still has a ton going for it.