Broomfield CO - moving whats it like?

Billinsd

WKR
I stayed there with my dad in late 70s. Seemed nice then. Colorado was REAL nice then. The people in Broomfield sure didn't like Denver. Back in the 70s it was Denver was the place that typically Coloradans disliked, not the Front Range.

It checks all the boxes (hunting, fishing, skiing) with the caveat that you'll be doing it shoulder to shoulder, bumper to bumper, and fighting for parking with everyone else. That is after surviving an absolute bloodbath of a housing market. You will pay over asking, and you will get outbid several times before you land one. You will get no say in what happens legislatively. You are outnumbered in that regard to the point that your reps just don't need to listen to you. I live here and don't hate it, but I will eventually end up somewhere else.

I'm just across I25 in Thornton. It's not as nice as an area IMO. So when it comes to housing your money goes further. Schools are okay in Thornton. Broomfield has better schools. I use to be a school teacher in Thornton. Send me a message if you have anything specific you want to ask me.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Move in next to my uncle, he could use a conservative friend. Most my travels out there include a turn off 76 onto Hwy 36 to Broomfield to hang out with him. Then travel 25 minutes down Wadsworth to I-70 West to the promised land.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
You can find local fly fishing that's not too much of a drive and won't be shoulder to shoulder either, just need a good friend to be your local guide until you get your feet wet, so to speak.
Same for bowhunting, there's a couple spots that aren't THAT bad, and are OTC, within decent proximity, and if you don't like those there's plenty of spots you can find that aren't overcrowded within 2-3 hours drive, just may have to hike a bit after you get to the trailhead.
I-70 ski traffic and summer traffic can be horrid but you'll learn how to time it to make it less so.
Traffic sucks, drivers are rude, just like every major metro area in the world, but probably nowhere NEAR DC driving, it's probably actually pretty tame compared to what you had there.
There's also some smaller mountain communities that would put you in between Broomfield and everything you like to do without a terrible commute, would be worth looking at.
It'll check off a lot of your boxes and the local politics could use you ;)
Hell, I'm moving out of state soon anyway, if you hit me up I'll give you some fun little local places to fish to get you started.
Bowhunting you're on your own because I'll be back to my old haunts for that ;) but there's elk all over the place, just have to learn how to play them, which has been fun for me the last 9 years here.

I enjoy it - I'll also retire elsewhere though. As mentioned earlier, you are 1 hour from a lot of outside stuff albiet not alone. But in about 3-4 hours you can be hunting elk/mule deer (or mountain goat/sheep if you were somehow lucky enough to draw) on West side of the divide, hunting pronghorns in WY, hunting pheasants and quail in NE, or fishing in multiple good spots in any of those 3 states. Good food, good entertainment options, good schools. Crazy home prices. I've been around a bit and I don't think there is much traffic in Broomfield. I-25 and I-70 in and out of Denver within an hour of rush hour sucks, and trying to get up I70 to the mountains on a Friday afternoon or down from the mountains Sunday afternoon are big no nos. So learn to ski on week days. Eldora, a smaller ski area West of Boulder, is about exactly a 60 minute drive from my driveway in Broomfield to its parking lot even on a weekend. Sure, its got too many people and the politics are quickly trending left, but if your job requires you live in an suburban area of a metro - my guess its about as good as your going to get.

tdhanses

WKR
In reality it is better then 95% of all other major metro areas, they all have the same issues but they don’t all have the jobs and scenery. Seriously driving an 1hr or 2hrs to do stuff is nothing.

My buddy lives in Broomfield. When I went to pick him up for a fishing trip this past fall there were lots of BLM, gay pride, and Biden/Harris yard signs.

From what I can gather Broomfield is full of Boulder liberals who got priced out of Boulder because of their own "eco friendly" policies.

Your own neighbors will be voting to ruin your hunting experiences by reintroducing wolves (this past year) or getting rid of spring bear season (few years past).

Houses start at $450k for something that hasn't been updated/touched in a decade.

Broomd

WKR
It's downright painful to read these postings. Mind-bending just how badly progressives have destroyed so many places in this country. The most beautiful places are absolutely the worst.