Brown Bear/ 300 Win

Zeeman

FNG
Thinking about Alaska brown bear hunt soon. Have a 300wm chambered for 210 Berger VLD bullets. Defiance action carbon fiber 24" barrel and Mcmillan stock. Need info on best bullet selection?? Magazine set up for the longer OAL. Or should I move up to 338??

VernAK

WKR
300 WM will work but I wouldn't feed it bergers for brown bears. Use a properly constructed bullet like Barnes TSX, TTSX, LRX, Nosler partition, accubond, Swift a-frame or scirocco II. Of course if a .338 is an option that would be the better choice but still with the bullets mentioned.

As JHM says but I'd also work on fit, function, feed.......reliability in general. Simple yet durable scopes are in order.

crossone

FNG
Unless you’re a resident in AK you’ll have to hire a guide. My guide required 338 Win Mag as a minimum with quality 225gr or greater bonded, monos (Barnes Triple Shocks, etc), or Partitions or A-Frames. If you’re really serious, you might want to book your hunt and then follow your guides recommendations. The size of the bears, terrain, and hunting methods may mean a completely different rifle or ammo from one guide and/area to another.

It’s fun to theorize and hypothesize but until you actually have a destination and hunting method chosen, you won’t know what’s ideal.

OP
Z

Zeeman

FNG
Unless you’re a resident in AK you’ll have to hire a guide. My guide required 338 Win Mag as a minimum with quality 225gr or greater bonded, monos (Barnes Triple Shocks, etc), or Partitions or A-Frames. If you’re really serious, you might want to book your hunt and then follow your guides recommendations. The size of the bears, terrain, and hunting methods may mean a completely different rifle or ammo from one guide and/area to another.

It’s fun to theorize and hypothesize but until you actually have a destination and hunting method chosen, you won’t know what’s ideal.
THANKS!

FLAK

WKR
I took a 300WM on my Brown Bear Hunt back in 2011.
Loaded some 200gr. Nosler Partitions.
Never got a shot. Win Mag should work fine with Partitions
or A-Frames.

Reactions: Guy

Vaultman

WKR
If a new gun is in the running, and your considering other calibers, I think 375 somthin' would be high on my list, more than a 338 winny anyway. Ruger, Dakota, H&H, RUM, WBY (or 378 WBY). There's a 375 ruger in the classifieds.

WCB

WKR
A well constructed bullet out of a 300 win is plenty and then some for Brown Bear. Trophy Bonded tip or Bear Claws would be my choice. A Frames and Partitions are also high on the list.

swede8200

FNG
I know everyone's perceived recoil is different, but I'll shoot my .375 H&H over a .300 or .338 Win Mag any day. It's in the case design. I started mine with 225gr flat nose bullets loaded up to book max and its very comfortable to shoot. I have some 300's loaded that are a little stouter on my end but still very doable. For reference I'm 5'9" 185#. My .300 H&H is the same. It's more manageable than my dad's .300 Win Mag. IMO...

I think I would be comfortable using your 300 Win but just use a better bullet. I really like Nosler bullets and I just got back from Alaska where I took a really ice boar grizzly bear using my 280 AI and 140 gr. Accubonds. I shot my bear at 158 yards. Hit him tight behind his right shoulder and the bullet exited the left side tight behind his left shoulder. He spun 180 degrees into the shot, did two tight somersaults and was dead. Never moved again.

I would try some 180 and 200 gr. Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips and shoot the one that shoots the best I your particular rifle. Then practice a lot! Best of luck. My trip was a once in a lifetime adventure!

keller

WKR
Shot my Kodiak Brown bear with a 300 wm. with 180 grain nosler partitions at 15 yds didn't go far.the outfitter told me he would rather have me shooting a rifle I was comfortable and experienced with rather than a big caliber.a well placed shot wins every time.

Reactions: Guy

Lonald

FNG
Shot my Kodiak Brown bear with a 300 wm. with 180 grain nosler partitions at 15 yds didn't go far.the outfitter told me he would rather have me shooting a rifle I was comfortable and experienced with rather than a big caliber.a well placed shot wins every time.
Agreed

300 winmag is plenty. Don’t go into the you gotta have a bigger/badder caliber.
I have a friend with 9 8’ or larger bear kills. He’s dropped 3 of them with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, one with 44mag and the Rest he used 35 whelen.
Shot what you shoot well and get the right bullet.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Guide or local resident is required for brown bear in AK. Some guides require a minimum caliber rifle so check into that before you plan on the 300 Winny.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
The grizzlies/browns that I have taken have been with 270gr TSX's out of a 375H&H.

My son got his first grizzly/brown bear this year with 210gr TSX out of a 338-06. A forty-yard broadside shot through the heart...bullet exited the other side. Bear only went thirty yards into the brush and died. It was a big boar...squared 8 and 1/2 feet, and nearly 9 feet width.

I was agonizing over the same decision a few years back. Outfitter required at least a 300WM and preferred Barnes, TBBC or A-Frames. Got a lot of advice from experienced folks and settled on my 300WEA with 180gr Barnes TTSX. That bullet excels when pushed hard on heavy game - what It was designed to do. Ended up taking a 9ft @ ~75 yards. Shot through front shoulder while quartered toward me. Textbook bullet performance - bear didn’t go two steps and collapsed. Recovered the bullet against the hide in opposite hind quarters with perfect expansion. Would expect similar results from any .30 caliber mag with TTSX, TBBC or A-Frames, but wouldn’t try any thin-jacketed or target bullet on a Brown Bear.