Brown bear advice?

Aviator

WKR
Kicking around the idea of a once in a lifetime Brown Bear hunt possibly Kodiak in the next few years, any suggestions? Thanks.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
What are you after? You a nonresident? If you are a non-res you need a guide. There are units the island is broken into and the ones on the wildlife refuge are exclusive use by one guide. State land area are not exclusive use. All are a draw but the exclusive use ones are guaranteed because they are exclusive use and guide only books for the number of tags he gets. There is also a registration area where you just buy a tag and hunt with a guide around the road system.

Price goes up and generally the size of the bear when you get into the exclusive areas, but there are exceptions.

Price range from $30K-$12K depending on guide, weapon, area etc.

Without more information from you it’s hard to give you anything additional.

OP
A

Aviator

WKR
Non-Resident planning on hunting with a guide.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
For me, figuring out where I wanted to hunt and the style of hunting I wanted really narrowed down the list of outfitters. reviewing historical threads on this topic helped bring some names to the forefront. Then lots of calling and emails to see who felt the best for what I wanted.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
There are many good guides on kodiak. What’s your budget. What weapon and what is you fitness level. Low fitness = boat based checking beaches. Better fitness equals more opportunities. Now and arrow is more $ because of the risk.

Paul Chervanak is another great one to look at.

Great opportunity on peninsula for same size bears. Logistics are often harder.

Last edited:

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent Choice! That family is awesome and you're going to have a great hunt.
Thanks….That’s what I heard so when Taj told me he had an opening for 2023 I jumped at the opportunity. Both my Canadian sheep hunts are postponed until ?????, so Brown Bear in Alaska is something I always wanted to do.

Last edited:
I fish a number of streams in their hunt area, even know a couple of the secret landing strips. There is a big bear over on Gertrude I hope you shoot. Thing is a pain👍. They have a great area with lots of bears. You’ll have a great time.

VernAK

WKR
If it were me and it was a once in a lifetime deal, I’d probably rather hunt the peninsula. Id specifically probably talk with Phil shoemaker.
In the past few years I've sent four friends to Phil Shoemaker for brown bear hunts and all four came away with good bears and a great experience.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted spring on the peninsula for brown bears with tony dingess of revelation mountain outfitters and had a good experience and took a nice bear.

OP
A

Aviator

WKR
I hunted spring on the peninsula for brown bears with tony dingess of revelation mountain outfitters and had a good experience and took a nice bear.
What size of bears can you expect to see on this hunt?

When you look at the ground hunted by the Phils; Shomaker and Byrd, several others as well, you find sockeye systems, beaches and mountains. Mountains for dens, beaches for opportunistic feeding and the sockeye for massive food intake.
just like white tails it’s all about habitat.
there are very big bears on the Peninsula.

OP
A

Aviator

WKR
Wow! I just started this process and it’s already mind boggling.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
What size of bears can you expect to see on this hunt?

I personally went looking to kill a good mature boar which in my mind is about a 9’ bear. killing a bear anywhere from 8.5-10 plus is easily doable. Some hunters are so impressed with the first 7’ bear they see they gladly shoot it. Others ruin the experience by hunting 2 weeks for a monster. go and take it all in and don’t get hung up on size… you’ll know it when you see a good one.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04