Brown Bear Hunt with Wife

ramhunter

FNG
Had a great trip down to Cold Bay with my Wife, saw lots of bears, and few big boys! Took this 10 foot beauty opening day on May 10th, long hair with not one rub on him! Weather was pretty good, not much rain, but windy most the time. Wife brought home 300 glass fishing floats we found on the beach, so all were happy!

Cold Bay 1.jpgCold Bay 2020.docx.jpg

JohnB

WKR
Nice work. Besides the bear that is an incredible amount of glass floats. Got any photos of those things too?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Very cool. I dream of a bear like that. Highlight (one of) of my Musk Ox hunt on Nunivak was finding one of those glass floats. Sits right on the base of my ox mount.

OP
ramhunter

ramhunter

FNG
Did she find any of the "BIG" ones.....??? I don't remember how big the huge one's were, or if they still use them.
No, they were all that size! We did find a large one on the beach, but it was broken! I found three bigger ones on Unimak Island back 15 years ago, and we have found some big ones in southeast Alaska too, those bigger ones are hard to find anymore! The bigger one I have seen are maybe 14"-16'' in dia.

slvrslngr

WKR
Nice pictures. What’s the glass used for. Never seen these posted before?
They're net floats used by the Japanese before plastic floats became common. Most are antique and have been at sea for a long time, floating around in the north pacific gyre. Storms blow them into the beach. It used to be fairly common to find them all along the west coast but it's rare to find them outside of Alaska these days, but it does happen. They come in sizes from a couple inches across to 20" or so, there are also some called roller pins which are 6-8" long and look, unsurprisingly, like a rolling pin. Most floats are blue glass but some are purple, which are quite rare.

Most people won't find 300 in a lifetime so getting that many on one trip is an incredible haul!

Bighorse

WKR
Very well executed hunt. I get the understated aspect of this endeavor. You’re Uber experienced and have technical excellence in a wild location. I’m glad everything lined up for you and the Mrs. Thats a fine skin to add to the family collection sir.
Congrats and way to keep the hunting heritage alive in America. You have a great skill set.