Brown bear/ mountain goat bulket

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a ton of research on a bullet to use on a brown bear hunt. Most every rifle I shoot Berger's or eld bullets. They have stopped everything. my caliber if choice because it's a combination goat/brownbear hunt is a 300 prc. Reading articles I decided to go with a 200 gr barnes trippleshock. The reason is i read you need a hard bullet or else. Today at the range i noticed somebody put up some steal gongs so i decided to shoot them. I shot 1 with a 300 gr berger out of an edge and 1 with a 225 eld from a 300 prc. . Both went clean thru 1/2 inch steal plate.. not 500 steal but still steal

I guess my question is why if my berger or hornady eld-m go through a steal plate why are they not reccomended for the shoulder of a brown bear. Do I really need to take time developing a load with a ttx. Or would the hornady 212 eldx or 225 be perfect acceptable. They are devastating bullets.

Anyone with real world experience. It kinda feels there's a "we have always done it this way mentality. . No disrespect ment but the ballistics and performance on paper are there.

LightFoot

WKR
I think it is about what the bullet does after that initial impact. It may break through that steel plate but expands too rapidly and on a thick hide, big brown bear, will not create the desired wound channel.

Lots of hunters have great experiences with berger and eld-m bullets. I have successfully used the eld-x on many occasions.

I am going to try the eld-m this coming season.

However, if I were after brown bear, I would stick to a high weight retention round. TTSX, Partition, A-Frame, etc.

No doubt a softer, frangible bullet will work if that's what your gun likes.

>>>----JAKE----->

Took my grizzly with 190 gr Berger out of a 300 Win Mag at 425 yards. No qualms about doing it again.

If I was hunting coastal brown bear, then I'd use it as an excuse to pick up another rifle and see if it likes a more robust bullet such as the ones LightFoot referenced.

204guy

WKR
Velocity is what kills steel. You could've done the same thing with a 22-250 or 204.

Are you going guided? What kind of shot distance is your guide telling you to expect. I wouldn't have much hesitation using 1 of the big heavy 30 cal bergers or elds on bb. Assuming the shots weren't expected to be 30yds on a river bend with tough angles.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I shall leave the bullet discussion to the more knowledgeable members. The thread "Title" sucked me in. But given the common thinking about how hard it is the expedite a Brown Bear to death. I wanted to mention, that relative to Mountain Goats, Brown Bears die very fast, very fast. Mountain Goats are just harder to make dead, by a large amount.

I have a fair amount of field experience with both. Sorry if I sidetracked the thread.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
All I can say is out of my 300 Win, ELD X bullets on Kodiak Blacktails have been very fragile. Nothing I’ve seen would make me want to use them on a brown bear or a goat. I don’t plan to use them on anything anymore.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would develop a load for a bullet that will perform when the least ideal situation presents itself, like an off angle shot, or poor shot placement. To me that is a mono-metal or bonded bullet. The only non-bonded that I would go with is a Partition.

Shit happens and sometimes a tougher bullet makes that shit less problematic. I look at it as my insurance policy against my goof ups.

Sourdough makes an interesting point about goats. They are tough critters.

Jeremy

Coastal Raider

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve taken many brown bears and mountain goats. Goats are tough, no doubt. But, shoot a brown bear that knows it’s coming and they are in their own league, altogether. I’ve seen every bullet fail on bears except Barnes X or Barnes XXX. I live and hunt in Alaska year round. I will shoot nothing but Triple Shocks. I killed a 9’ boar with a 270 grain Triple Shock and that bullet still weighs 268 grains. I’m quite certain that they meant BURGER instead of BERGER bullets, because that’s what you get when you hit a tough animal like bears and goats with one.

SDHNTR

WKR
Definitely change bullets. Berger’s and Eldx are not brown bear bullets! Your range may be short and .300 prc speeds will dust either bullet if you hit hard bone. I’d be shooting a mono or Partition or A Fame or Trophy Bonded or similar stout bullet. Goats can take some killing too so whatever you choose for BB will be well suited for goats too.