Brown Hunting Clothes

Benjblt

WKR
I'm curious what all you all's thoughts were on brown hunting cloths, specifically tops that are solid brown with regards to safety. I've never trusted other hunters fully and brown clothing tends to look like the coat of almost all big game animals in North America. As a SW Oregonian I will never wear black in the woods. Black means bear and you don't have to identify horns with a bear. Sure, you have to be sure it's not a sow with cubs, but there are enough unethical and unsafe hunters out there that I will never wear black. There are also quite a few bear here so hunters expect to see black bear. Some bear are brown here as well but I feel most hunters give them a second look as they are not as common as a black phased bear.

I notice many hunters wear brown and I would like to think its a versatile color, and a good alternative to gray, for wearing around town and while hunting. So what's the consensus? Is it as safe as any other color? Would you stay away from it? Is it the same as a brown camo like fusion that can look like an elk hide from hundreds of yards away? Does it matter if you are bow hunting or rifle hunting? Different species? I'm just curious to see what you all think.

Clothes?

I assume Blaze Orange must be worn in your firearm seasons? If not, simply wear some. Just a hat is better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
I got my backpack in coyote and wouldn't mind to have got it in camo or foliage, etc. My next one probably will be a different color.

Same for clothing. I had a friend killed in a hunting negligent shooting (wearing camo, shot at movement not a color) that has made me a little extra safety cautious in the woods. Knock on wood. Green is my solid color of choice.

I have and wear plenty of brown.

Part of me feels that a negligent shot that isn’t just an accident is going to be some trigger happy jackass shooting at movement or in low light where color isn’t going to be much of a difference. I agree with the post above that you should wear some orange even when not legally required. I don’t do it in a bow only area but anywgphere people can hunt with guns.

The only thing I don’t wear is a Patagonia r2 fleece that looks like brown fir. That is just too tempting.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Clothes?

I assume Blaze Orange must be worn in your firearm seasons? If not, simply wear some. Just a hat is better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No, "cloths".

Blaze orange is not required. I hate wearing it. But you're right. It's fix. Thanks for the sound advice.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Sorry to hear about your friend. . I agree. Usually green is my favorite solid color for hunting. It unfortunately, in absolute seriousness, is the color of a college team that I harbor animosity toward :)

IdahoElk

WKR
You couldn't pay me enough to wear either a pack or clothes that were the same color as animals,there are way too many idiots out there.

I don’t like to wear brown tops. A guy got shot here last season wearing a brown Carhart jacket in elk season.

In Michigan any hunting with a firearm you need to wear orange. I am not a big fan of brown and after reading about black being mistaken for a bear I am not gonna wear that either.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
In Michigan any hunting with a firearm you need to wear orange. I am not a big fan of brown and after reading about black being mistaken for a bear I am not gonna wear that either.

My buddy was out hunting elk in Oregon and ran into a mushroom picker wearing black in the thick timber and he swore he was a couple decisions away from shooting him. Obviously they were important decisions but even from his point of view he was put in an awkward spot of having to make a decision to be ready to shoot. Black bears aren't generally dangerous but being only feet away you need to be ready to shoot. I don't like wearing black even when hiking around in SW Oregon. There is a bear season 6 months out of the year.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Anyone else want to way in? What's your solid color of choice for hunting?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Grey and green. Wearing brown during deer season and red handkerchief during turkey season is just too engrained in me as things you don't do in the woods.

Wrench

WKR
Tigers are orange.
When I was younger I had zero dough for gear and didn't know that blue was bad.....so I wore this blue fleece pullover on a 10 year killing spree putting down countless deer, elk and bears.

Fast forward 20 years from the latest pic and I still don't have the need to make sure my pants match my shirt.

I choose gear based on performance and fit...and my budget.P2100201Small_zps574f3a69.jpghuntingpics.jpg

Most camo looks brown at any sort of distance. I routinely wear brown and charcoal/grey. If some dipshit is going to check you out through his scope or send one at the crack of of a stick, he's not going to do so based on what you are or are not wearing.

I typically avoid black because I feel it is a very eye-catching color, not so much that I'm worried about looking like a bear.

On the other hand,

I was archery elk hunting a few years ago when I watched a muzzleloader wielding bear hunter who was also carrying a pistol, mace himself right outside the parking lot. His companion said he had already done it once earlier. That's the person you have to watch out for...

Fatcamp

WKR
My pack is a neat perfect match for mule deer. Same with my wife's down coat. To find the deer, you must be the deer. Or something.

I usually strap some orange on my pack. I wear grey or camo primarily.

I don't wear any color that is similar to an animal the second firearm season starts. Green and gray are good colors to avoid being shot IMO

There is nothing wrong with a FL orange pack lid at all times. It is good to have something visible anyway as it makes it easier to find you if something bad happens.