Browning and Winchester

1jonmon

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone noticed a quality decline in Browning and Winchester? The new BLR barrels next to older model are really small diameter profile. Looks like they are trying to cut corners on steel. I recently bought a .308 as a gift and put it next to an older model .308...the difference was shocking!!!
Also I noticed that Winchester is using an odd size thread for their new line of model 70 “mb” rifles. Nowhere on their site does it inform you that they went to a 13x.75 thread on the barrel. So buyer be ware. Good luck finding anything to fit besides the worthless muzzle break that comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
A) better steel requires less of it
B) any decent gunsmith can fix the threading issue for you for any brake

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The other reason the barrel may seem thinner is because they might actually be thinner. We (as a general hunting community) are wanting lighter and lighter options. So to appeal to that demand and drop weight, thinner barrels are just one of the answers. Look at kimbers barrels. They are pencil thin to help with their weight. The good ole days of our dads 12 pound rifles are good thick barrels aren’t what people are demanding. Just my thoughts. Still love my brownings though.

The SX3 -> SX4 was a definitely downgrade and more plastic parts. To their credit they dropped the price and the SX4 is still a great shotgun at a good price.