Browning Hells Canyon Speed 6.5 Creedmore

Thumper

FNG
I just got a BROWNING Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmore. I am getting my Leupold VX 5 HD scope mounted tomorrow and will go to the range to sight it in. I am wondering if anyone has this gun and what brand of cartridges work best in it? I will be removing the Muzzle break and am not too concerned with any kick. I will be using it for Antelope, Deer and Elk if I fail at archery.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advanced

Ginny

marktole

WKR
I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm interested to see what you turn up with the gun because I'm thinking about getting one myself! Let us know how it shoots!

Scottyboy

WKR
If you are inferring factory ammo...I have yet to see or read about a 6.5 creedmor that doesn't like the 143gr eld-x

FURMAN

WKR
My Mesa did not like the 143s. Mine loved both ELD-Ms. Probably not a great bullet for close shots but should be great at 400 plus. You might look at Copper Creek Ammo.

The Hornady 143s worked fine in the one I ended up loading for during break in

I would buy a box those and a nosler box and see what shoots best.

OP
T

Thumper

FNG
I was finally able to get my rifle to the range. I put the Leupold VX - 5 HD 3 - 15x44 CDS-ZL2 Fire Dot Scope on it. It took a bit to sight it in. I was able to find 2 boxes of 6.5 creedmore ammo that were not Match grade. We originally accidentally bought some match grade Hornaday and used it up to get the scope kind of on target and used the browning 129 gr to fine tune... The groupings were ok but not the best. I thought it was me. THne I used Precision Hunter Hornaday 143 gr. ELD-X. I was impressed with my groupings. I only sighted in to 100 yards and then the wind started blowing and we have to wait to try to sight in to 200 yards...

With this scope should I sight it in at 100 yards or 200 yards? I am thinking it would be easier to remember 1 on the dial is going to equal 100 yards 2= 200 and so on. What are your thoughts? :p

BHC65creed1.jpg

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
If you are using a BDC dial on your scope try to set the turret at a mid range. You also need to get a turret made by Leupold for whatever ammo you settle on.
So if you plan to use it for a 600yds, I would sight in at 400yds and index the '4' point on the turret, then turn it back to 100 and make note of how far off you might be.
Usually the turrets will not be spot on at the longer ranges if you zero at 100. If you can do a midrange zero you will be much closer at all ranges.

wakoski

FNG
Any update on your rifle? I just purchased one today and am looking forward to getting it setup. Still working on a scope/mount combo. Also I will most likely be shooting under 300yds where I hunt (blacktail), need to find a good cartridge. thanks!

Kotaman

WKR
If you are inferring factory ammo...I have yet to see or read about a 6.5 creedmor that doesn't like the 143gr eld-x

This...My Creedmoors both love the factory Precision Hunter 143 ELDX.

Attachments

• 400A7BF7-47E9-4AA1-98EC-173DA4286D86.jpg
    400A7BF7-47E9-4AA1-98EC-173DA4286D86.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 148

J8tnub

FNG
I was finally able to get my rifle to the range. I put the Leupold VX - 5 HD 3 - 15x44 CDS-ZL2 Fire Dot Scope on it. It took a bit to sight it in. I was able to find 2 boxes of 6.5 creedmore ammo that were not Match grade. We originally accidentally bought some match grade Hornaday and used it up to get the scope kind of on target and used the browning 129 gr to fine tune... The groupings were ok but not the best. I thought it was me. THne I used Precision Hunter Hornaday 143 gr. ELD-X. I was impressed with my groupings. I only sighted in to 100 yards and then the wind started blowing and we have to wait to try to sight in to 200 yards...

With this scope should I sight it in at 100 yards or 200 yards? I am thinking it would be easier to remember 1 on the dial is going to equal 100 yards 2= 200 and so on. What are your thoughts? :p

View attachment 53217

Sight it in at 100 yards. Environmental factors are negligible at 100 but they start to matter at 200.

J8tnub

FNG
If you are using a BDC dial on your scope try to set the turret at a mid range. You also need to get a turret made by Leupold for whatever ammo you settle on.
So if you plan to use it for a 600yds, I would sight in at 400yds and index the '4' point on the turret, then turn it back to 100 and make note of how far off you might be.
Usually the turrets will not be spot on at the longer ranges if you zero at 100. If you can do a midrange zero you will be much closer at all ranges.
Custom turrets are usually off if the muzzle velocity is not correct ( i.e from the ammo box) if the published bc is off or there is tracking errors in the scope or if the environmental factors change. A 400 yard zero will be very dependent on environmental conditions.

I just got a BROWNING Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmore. I am getting my Leupold VX 5 HD scope mounted tomorrow and will go to the range to sight it in. I am wondering if anyone has this gun and what brand of cartridges work best in it? I will be removing the Muzzle break and am not too concerned with any kick. I will be using it for Antelope, Deer and Elk if I fail at archery.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advanced

Ginny

I bought mine 2 years ago. I’ve shot 143 gr ELD-X and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. Both have been accurate and would be good choices for you to start with.

I’m going to reload the 143 ELD-X and try to dial in an all around hunting/ target load with that bullet.

I took the muzzle brake off mine as well.

The only thing I haven’t worked on is the trigger pull- not exactly sure how to adjust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLI62

FNG
I bought mine 2 years ago. I’ve shot 143 gr ELD-X and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. Both have been accurate and would be good choices for you to start with.

I’m going to reload the 143 ELD-X and try to dial in an all around hunting/ target load with that bullet.

I took the muzzle brake off mine as well.

The only thing I haven’t worked on is the trigger pull- not exactly sure how to adjust it.

I just installed the Mcarbo spring in my buddy's Hell's Canyon Long Range. I couldn't get the factory pull weight on his below 3 lbs 9oz's. I bought him the $13 Mcarbo spring and it was money well spent. Relatively easy install too. His trigger's breaking clean right at 2 lbs 4 oz's now.

I just installed the Mcarbo spring in my buddy's Hell's Canyon Long Range. I couldn't get the factory pull weight on his below 3 lbs 9oz's. I bought him the $13 Mcarbo spring and it was money well spent. Relatively easy install too. His trigger's breaking clean right at 2 lbs 4 oz's now.

Any creep added? Mine breaks heavy but has literally no creep or take up so I've been holding off on the mcarbo sitting on my bench.

OLI62

FNG
Any creep added? Mine breaks heavy but has literally no creep or take up so I've been holding off on the mcarbo sitting on my bench.

jm, there's some ever so slight but discernable creep and no take up. Like you describe the trigger was quite good in regards to creep and take up out of the box. Problem was it broke at damn near 5 lbs on this gun. When I went to adjust the screw that sets trigger weight per the factory manuals instructions I couldn't get it below 3.9 lbs without inducing some really bad creep.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Both of my X-bolts break right under 2 lbs with the Mcarbo spring, very clean.