Browning speed 308 and eldx.

Babills

FNG
I shot my new browning HC Speed in 308. Seemed to like 178 eldx hunter. Should I stick with this for hunting or keep looking. Most of my hunting is whitetail but will be hunting out west more too. How does eldx perform?

Attachments

• 20210101_170028.jpg
    20210101_170028.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 32
Shot my elk this year with my Browning XBolt Max Long Range 300 Win Mag, 220 ELDX at 505 yards complete pass thru dead elk!!!! Shot my mule deer at 100 yards deer bucked into the air and fell over!!!!

I'm impressed so far.

OP
B

Babills

FNG
Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear! And congratulations!

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot the 178gr eld-x for 3 years now and have had nothing but great performance on elk,mule deer and whitetail. Have close to 20 kills.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Oh and 0.5 MOA and 2795 fps.

I've read alot of threads about the bullets not holding together. The first shot on my elk (505 yards) was a heart/lung, bull staggered, guide said great hit, put another one in him. He was starting to go down and I hit him along the back, blew out a piece of his spine and the bullet exited thru his front leg/shoulder breaking the bone.

The mule deer was a heart/lung and looked like it was hit with a truck, front legs lifted off the ground and he fell back on his hind legs and then flopped. Had a pass thru and the insides were turned to jelly.

So based on that limited data I'm sticking with them!

Attachments

• IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 19
Oh and 0.5 MOA and 2795 fps.

I've read alot of threads about the bullets not holding together. The first shot on my elk (505 yards) was a heart/lung, bull staggered, guide said great hit, put another one in him. He was starting to go down and I hit him along the back, blew out a piece of his spine and the bullet exited thru his front leg/shoulder breaking the bone.

The mule deer was a heart/lung and looked like it was hit with a truck, front legs lifted off the ground and he fell back on his hind legs and then flopped. Had a pass thru and the insides were turned to jelly.

So based on that limited data I'm sticking with them!

Is your gun a 308 or a different caliber ? Seeing a 300win with 220's isn't really a fair comparison.

My comment was a general response to 30 cal ELDX performance, not an exact comparison. There have been very mixed reviews on this bullet. I actually was bit hesitant to try it but talked to a few friends who had hunted with it and they had success. So far in my 2 shot experience it has performed. I'll continue to evaluate the performance over time, but for now I think I found my bullet of choice.

Just a note on my Tikka 308, it loves Federal Fusions. My son has shot several whitetails with them and it has been bang flop!

I
My comment was a general response to 30 cal ELDX performance, not an exact comparison. There have been very mixed reviews on this bullet. I actually was bit hesitant to try it but talked to a few friends who had hunted with it and they had success. So far in my 2 shot experience it has performed. I'll continue to evaluate the performance over time, but for now I think I found my bullet of choice.

Just a note on my Tikka 308, it loves Federal Fusions. My son has shot several whitetails with them and it has been bang flop!
thanks, Personally I have had great results with the ELDx bullet but in other calibers and diameters both at close and relatively long range. I shoot Bergers out of most of my rifles for hunting and target and am used to the terminal performance of those bullets. I feel like the ELDx does as advertised holding 40% of its weight at high velocity and still expanding down range. My feedback on close range (under 100 yards) is that they do as advertised.

OP
B

Babills

FNG
Thanks guys think I'll stick with it until it fails. My gun likes it and should tighten up a little more. The speed only has about 25 rounds in it. This is my first Browning and I love it. so comfortable and and accurate!