Browning vs Christian Arms

Bear2022

FNG
Looking at a Christian’s Arms Mesa and Browning Hells Canyon speed either in 300 win mag or 300 prc. Thoughts which one would you would pick.

KineKilla

WKR
The XBolt is a fantastic rifle. Christensen Arms are also nice (from what I hear) but are getting so popular now that I worry they may lose their semi-custom attention to detail.

I'd buy the X Bolt.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I prefer the stock on the CA, and in my experience are more accurate than Brownings.

The 60 degree bolt throw on the Brownings is a major advantage over the 90 degree of the Christensens, especially if you are going to run a decent sized scope.

nobody

WKR
Flip a coin, I would say! I just picked up an X Bolt Western Hunter (shoots sub MOA with factory ammo, so the accuracy is great for a hunting rifle) and was looking at the Christensen Mesa as well. At the end of the day, I chose the X Bolt simply because I had wanted one since I was broke and in college, so I figured it was time to feed that beast. I am picking up a Mesa in 6.5 PRC soon as well, so I'm not brand loyal. They both build a great rifle at a relatively reasonable price, so I say pick whichever one is more ergonomic to your build and whichever one comes in the cartridge and color scheme you like. Good luck!

BrentH

WKR
No experience with the CA, but my Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5cm is a very accurate rifle with factory ammo.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I'm happy to see Browning revise on their muzzle breaks was going to a standard thread pattern and dumping the metric thread.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Per the Christensen SHOT Show announcement, wait a little while and the Mesas and Ridgelines will have the new stocks that claim to shave about a pound of weight from previous models if you want to get things nice and light. Some shorter barrel lengths too.

This new lighter stock is pushing me hard to the Ridgeline. As lefty, I can't buy or build anything else in the price range with the carbon fiber stock/barrel that is a 22" 300WM threaded for suppressor at under 6lbs bare.

OP
B

Bear2022

FNG
I prefer the stock on the CA, and in my experience are more accurate than Brownings.

The 60 degree bolt throw on the Brownings is a major advantage over the 90 degree of the Christensens, especially if you are going to run a decent sized scope.
I’m putting a razor LHT 3-15 42mm scope on it so I don’t think bolt throw will be a big issue. The 60 degree throw is nice though. What about the stock do you like on the Christian Arms or dislike on the browning.

OP
B

Bear2022

FNG
Per the Christensen SHOT Show announcement, wait a little while and the Mesas and Ridgelines will have the new stocks that claim to shave about a pound of weight from previous models if you want to get things nice and light. Some shorter barrel lengths too.

This new lighter stock is pushing me hard to the Ridgeline. As lefty, I can't buy or build anything else in the price range with the carbon fiber stock/barrel that is a 22" 300WM threaded for suppressor at under 6lbs bare.
Yeah both Browning and Christian released models with shorter barrels that I’m definitely interested in since it’s a hunting gun. But who knows when they will actually be avaible with the way everything is right now.

I’m putting a razor LHT 3-15 42mm scope on it so I don’t think bolt throw will be a big issue. The 60 degree throw is nice though. What about the stock do you like on the Christian Arms or dislike on the browning.
I don't necessarily dislike the Browning.....I do like the palm swell.

On the CA stock, I don't know what the proper terminology is, but this area (see pic below) where the Thenar of your palm goes really fits me well.
CHRMESATITANIUM_1.jpg

DuckDogDr

WKR
I personally would go go Christensen. Remington footprint so more aftermarket stuff to change as needed.
I know everyone can get a bad apple now and then..but my buddy’s browning (not Hell’s canyon)
Wouldn’t shoot worth a crap.. 3 “ group was best it would do even with a competition shooter behind the trigger.
None of the local gun smiths would touch it. Said barrel threads were too fine if needed a change more than likely unable to source any potential parts …and this was way before the pandemic.

I have one of the Christensen titaniums and I really really like it

I’ve had a hell’s canyon speed and Mesa. I got rid of the browning because of the odd metric threads and the need for an adapter to run a suppressor. It seems they have fixed that, so it’s a toss up.
I like the stock of the browning better and the action is smoother. The Mesa was a bit more accurate, has a better trigger, and has tons more aftermarket options. I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

tdhanses

WKR
I have my buddies CA Mesa in 300wm that I’m working up a load for, I like it and so far it’s been super easy to dial in. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I picked up a CA Mesa in 300 WM a couple of months ago and love it so far. Feels good in the hand. Good balance. Was shooting half inch groups with factory ammo during the break in process. Its been easy to work up loads for handloading. I'm getting .5 groups with multiple bullet and powder combos. I was thinking about the browning as well but then got the CA on sale at Christmas. Zero Regrets. I plan on buying another in 6.5 PRC or 7RM.