Browning Western Hunter-shot show?

I inherited an Abolt about 20 years ago and it's the gun I hunt with... have shot a pile of critters through the years... and with a little luck I'm sure, they've all been in the 40-250 yard range.

When I sit down and work a load up and shoot it off bags at the range... I'm never impressed, but it's always been MOA... yep, Minute of Animal.

Well, I rarely think about buying another Browning... but after handling this "Western Hunter " today, told by Cabelas guyvits. "Shot show special"... it has a weird Camo that I like... an in line/flush muzzle break... damn fine feeling gun, easy handling... and the price was down right impressive compared to the few other guns I've been looking at lately.

Does anyone have any good knowledge of these rifles? The "western hunter"? The browning website shows them, I think, at 6 1/2 pounds. Not bad. They also talk about them being "1000 yard" rifles... at $775 I was sure impressed.

I also have to say the 700 Mountain rifle with the Bell and Carlson on it that Cabelas had in was a great feeling gun... also got my hands on the T3x SL.... yep... loved it too.

On the flip side, handled the savage 16 LWH and its handling and fit and finish, compared to the previous three mentioned guns... was SAD... the barrel to stock fit was horrible and the bolt was catchy... I still want one though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I have the long range hunter in 26 Nosler. 3/4" groups with factory Nosler ammo, 1/2" with Nosler handloads. Sweet to shoot, quiet in the brush, light to carry. My current favorite brand on the market

OP
Hornseeker
I was surprised at the price at Cabelas. 26 Nos for like $775. If it's a shooter, hmmm....

EastMT

WKR
I'll be 100% honest, if you are not shooting 500+ yards, the 26 Nosler is over kill. I am not a super long range shooter as the stalk is the exciting part for me and there are too many variables for me to feel confident. The 6.5mm is an incredible caliber, holds its speed so long, I'm eying both 260 Rem, 6.5 CM, and 6.5x55. I fell for the hype of a couple hundred extra FPS, but it's just not needed for average hunters. The E Arthur Brown Company has an awesome comparison.

Comparison of 6.5mm Cartridges | 6.5 Grendel | 6.5 BRM | 6.5 X 47 Lapua | 6.5 Creedmoor | 260 Rem | 6.5 X 55 Swedish | 6.5-06 | 6.5 - 284 | 264 Win Mag | 26 Nosler

geriggs

WKR
and browning is offering a 10% rebate to cover sales tax between now and end of April....hmmmmm must.....fight......the....urge....

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked one up last month in .300 WSM. It seems like a really nice, well built firearm. I only have two feedback points as of now:

Its a real pleasure to shoot, the muzzle break significantly reduces recoil.
The factory set trigger is dang heavy.

I've only had it out once but i really need to adjust the trigger pull before i take it out again. Twice i had to check to see if i had the safety on when i was trying to shoot it ;)

OP
Hornseeker
Yeah, not really into the 26 Nos, just the gun!!

EastMT

WKR
My buddy just bought the Hells Canyon in 300 wsm. This is his first four shots during break in after getting on paper, I think they were number 4,5,6, with cleaning and light oil in between.

a54cabc1de6118a0615d2562f7dc25cc.jpg

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Xbolts and am fighting the urge to add a Western Stainless to the mix. They are great rifles that suit my preferences.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Is the muzzle brake removable? Does it come with a thread protector? I don't love muzzle brakes (just my personal opinion, not trying to derail the thread)... but seems like a really cool rifle otherwise!

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Is the muzzle brake removable? Does it come with a thread protector? I don't love muzzle brakes (just my personal opinion, not trying to derail the thread)... but seems like a really cool rifle otherwise!

Yes, removable and comes with thread protector

GKPrice

Banned
Xbolt is a fine rifle IMO - Moruko of Japan started for Browning with the BBR (affectionately called the "Fat Bolt"), moved on to the Abolt (GREAT Rifle again IMO) and now the Xbolt - Moruko, as said many times by me and others, knows how to build a very good firearm - Browning saw the light when spec'ing the Xbolt by adding the 3 function safety and redesigning the rotary magazine and other details, the accuracy potential has always been there in the Abolt and the Xbolt is just good experience and knowledge made better by Moruko - I wonder if they'll ever produce a Ti lightweight Xbolt ?

EastMT

WKR
I recently got a smoking deal on an A bolt TI in 325. She's in the shop now getting cerakote. I wanted a 300 wsm for an August sheep hunt but I found this one fired 3 times and didn't like the recoil for half price, so 325 it is.