Browning X-Bolt Issue

Hello all. Long time lurker. I really enjoy what you've all built here. I picked up a new Browning X-Bolt HC OR Ambush McMillan a few months ago. When I got it home and could really inspect it, the stock had a crack in it and the magazine was misshapen. While I was disappointed in those issues in a $2000 rifle, I understand it's mass-produced, and things happen.

I contacted Browning and they asked me to send it to them. I did, and it took two months to get back. They said they fixed the stock and put in a new magazine. I took it to the range the next day. She can really shoot! The only problem now is that the magazine falls out with every shot. Every. Shot. I tried a few other magazines, and they did the same. (I have a couple X-bolts, and have always had good luck). I've done some.preliminary research, and can't find much on this issue. The gun is now back with Browning. It's incredibly disappointing to not have access to a gun after dropping that kind of coin.

Anyone else have similar issues with an X-bolt?

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
I have 4 xbolts and never had that issue. One is a speed, one is a stalker, one is a pro long range and the other is a long range McMillan.

manitou1

WKR
I too have multiple X bolts with no complaints.
Sorry about your issues. I hope they get it fixed up for you and it proves to be the rifle you know they can be.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I have 300WSM XBolt and no problems after shooting 150 rounds or so with the magazine falling out. It came with the factory synthetic stock. I have experienced a feeding issue occasionally if while reloading I seat the bullet to the maximum length that would fit into the magazine. The bullet can catch on the metal ramp as it feeds into the chamber.

My Speed has no issues, my Max Long Range had a bad magazine, would not feed rounds. Contacted Browning and they sent me 2 new ones. Since then no issues. Both are tack drivers!!!!!

Northpark

WKR
No issues with my hells canyon long range. Love that rifle. Tack driver to 600yards

I have a couple of xbolts and no issues. They should be sending you a brand new gun instead of trying to fix this flawed rifle. Either that or demand all of your money back. They are too good of a company to be pulling this with you.

EastMT

WKR
I have a long range and HC, no issues yet. Glad they are taking care of you, I’ve heard CS wasn’t great, good to hear.

OP
R
I really appreciate all the positive responses. I'll keep you updated. I really love the x-bolt. If they weren't so proud of them, my kids would get an x-bolt for their first rifle instead of a Tikka... Just kidding. That's not a fight I want to engage in on this board.

OP
R
Just wanted to follow up. I spoke with Browning again this morning. They claim the repair has been made, but I won't get the rifle for another 4-6 weeks. Needless to say, I'm pissed. I'll never buy another Browning again. Customer service is a misnomer these days.

Your lucky you were able to even have browning warranty your X bolt. I had the stock crack on mine after 6-8 months of light shooting and they told me to pound sand. Was very disappointed but i did upgrade to a McMillan game scout which ended up being a blessing in disguise and now i see it as money well spent. Hope your able to get everything working good soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Just wanted to follow up. I spoke with Browning again this morning. They claim the repair has been made, but I won't get the rifle for another 4-6 weeks. Needless to say, I'm pissed. I'll never buy another Browning again. Customer service is a misnomer these days.

Yikes. Guessing COVID is the culprit for their long turnaround on that? Only contact I've had with them was submitting my rebate, and the check showed up within literally 96 hours. Between that and easy sub-MOA groups, fantastic ergonomics, a $15 trigger job that gets it into the same ballpark as Triggertech and light weight, I've been impressed so far. Sorry to hear yours is taking so long.

OP
R
Additional update. I sent an email to customer service Tuesday. I received a response within two hours asking for more informstion, which I provided within 20 minutes. Since then, 55 hours worth of crickets. Am I being unreasonable?

manitou1

WKR
Aren't they in Arnold, Missouri? That is the St. Louis region... actually kind of a suburb of St. Louis. They are getting hammered by Covid 19. They may be on a lock down, work from home, or minimum manning status. The St Louis City Hall and many businesses are closed. Around 12,000 cases and 676 deaths as of yesterday... in St. Louis County alone.

Last edited:
Thats a crappy deal! I have the same ambush in a left hand 28 nosler and its been great. Maybe you could find out who the browning rep is in your area and explain things to him? I happened across a browning rep up here in canada at a coffee shop. He was a great guy and we enjoyed a good conversation.

OP
R
I purchased it from grab-a-gun. They've been awful to deal with as well. Seems I'm just up a creek, as the saying goes. I've asked their shop if covid has impacted working conditions, but they said it hadn't. I guess I'll ponder the issues this weekend and see what course of action to take. I'm not a huge fan of feeling helpless.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Aren't they in Arnold, Missouri? That is the St. Louis region... actually kind of a suburb of St. Louis. They are getting hammered by Covid 19. They may be on a lock down, work from home, or minimum manning status. The St Louis City Hall and many businesses are closed. Around 12,000 cases and 676 deaths as of yesterday... in St. Louis County alone.

Although logical, I wouldn’t afford them that excuse. Last summer I sent in a Browning shotgun to this Missouri location for recall work. It took about 5 months to get my gun back. All they had to do was give it a new coating. I had to dog them with phone calls and emails for a couple months to get my gun back before season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk