Browning X-bolt issues.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
After going over a few ideas of of how the brake could be affecting accuracy with a smith friend, I decided to try and open up the bore diameter of the brake. It was at .319, no where near the .015 clearance on each side of the bullet diameter of .308 that was recommended to me by my smith friend. I figured what do I have to lose and chucked it up in my lathe, got the runout to 0 and bored it with a R drill bit.
C9D766AF-A74C-4E51-8E8A-80EC1178F004.jpeg
This gave me a diameter of .339 inches, .0155 clearance on each side of the bullet.

It worked!!! I took it out to the range quick and tried a few different brands of ammo with and without the brake. I now have zero change in group size and poi!!

Ryan

BCD

WKR
After going over a few ideas of of how the brake could be affecting accuracy with a smith friend, I decided to try and open up the bore diameter of the brake. It was at .319, no where near the .015 clearance on each side of the bullet diameter of .308 that was recommended to me by my smith friend. I figured what do I have to lose and chucked it up in my lathe, got the runout to 0 and bored it with a R drill bit.
View attachment 312161
This gave me a diameter of .339 inches, .0155 clearance on each side of the bullet.

It worked!!! I took it out to the range quick and tried a few different brands of ammo with and without the brake. I now have zero change in group size and poi!!

Ryan
Do you know what year your rifle was made and that is the stock radial brake correct? Is it the metric version with the weird threads? I'm guessing if that was made to spec there might be a few X-Bolt 30 Cals that have this isseue.....

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
The radial brake is an aftermarket one that I had put on by a local gunsmith. He said he makes them himself, I am not sure if he starts with a raw chunk of steel or a rough blank and turns them to diameter. I am curious as to what the different factory brakes use for a clearance!

Ryan

260madman

WKR
I’d tell your buddies to steer clear of the brake maker. When I was a toolmaker the best phrase I heard in the shop was “Anything less than perfection is a compromise”.