Browning X-Bolt receiver thread ISSUES

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Browning X-Bolt stalker long range all factory -

I was mounting my base to the receiver (yes, the correct rail & correct direction at the correct TQ value with the correct fasteners) and the forward right reviewer threads stripped at 15 inch pounds.

I was walking the TQ up to value as I’ve heard of others having problems with the threads and all hit value other than the forward right. It completely stripped out at 15 inch pounds.

this is absolutely ridiculous and a fault of engineering on browning behalf, that receiver should be able to withstand nearly double the torque spec. Unfortunately it didn’t even make it to spec.

I am very very disappointed and sad, as my bear rifle is now compromised for an indefinite amount of time. Has anyone else ran into this? Any remedies? Any suggestions? A browning rep, maybe?

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
If it’s the hole and not the fastener then you’ll probably need to drill/tap to 8-40. Probably want to set it up in a mill to do that or have it done by a gunsmith.

I don’t own one. I do some gun work but not professionally. There are only a couple smiths that will rebarrel those things.

Sorry for the bad luck. I’ve had that kind of thing happen too. Hopefully you can get it fixed before your hunt. Bummer.

OP
NWMT_MountainBum

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
If it’s the hole and not the fastener then you’ll probably need to drill/tap to 8-40. Probably want to set it up in a mill to do that or have it done by a gunsmith.

I don’t own one. I do some gun work but not professionally. There are only a couple smiths that will rebarrel those things.

Sorry for the bad luck. I’ve had that kind of thing happen too. Hopefully you can get it fixed before your hunt. Bummer.
my only thought on drilling them is that they are already drilled to 8-40 so you’d have to do a filler just to rethread

OP
NWMT_MountainBum

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
Bugger. I thought they came 6-48. Guess I got some bad intel. Or has yours been oversized already?
I very well could be wrong, I’ll double check. If I were to drill them to 8-40 im wondering if the 8-40’s would even fit in my bases or if I’d have to dremel them out...which would suck and probably compromise their integrity.

SDHNTR

WKR
Not a huge deal. Have your smith d and t the receiver for 8-40. You’ll have a better set up anyway. And just get new bases made for 8-40’s,

OP
NWMT_MountainBum

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
What base? I used Warne steel on mine and had no issues.
I’ve used a Leupold base, a Talley base, Leupold two piece rings, and Talley two piece rings. The internal threads are just gone. I’ve never had this happen in any other firearm.

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Browning X-Bolt stalker long range in 7mm rem mag -

I was mounting my base to the receiver (yes, the correct rail & correct direction at the correct TQ value with the correct fasteners) and the forward right reviewer threads stripped at 15 inch pounds.

I was walking the TQ up to value as I’ve heard of others having problems with the threads and all hit value other than the forward right. It completely stripped out at 15 inch pounds.

this is absolutely ridiculous and a fault of engineering on browning behalf, that receiver should be able to withstand nearly double the torque spec. Unfortunately it didn’t even make it to spec.

I am very very disappointed and sad, as my bear rifle is now compromised for an indefinite amount of time. Has anyone else ran into this? Any remedies? Any suggestions? A browning rep, maybe?
Before taking it to gun smith I would reach out to Browning. They’ve taken really good care of me in the past. You may have to wait a month or two, but they may flip the bill.

Browning Service Center: (636) 287-6800

As stated you could have a gunsmith mill the holes and tap the mounting holes to 8-40. You would also need to drill out the rail and open the holes for the larger screws. Seems the Brownings are notorious for this happened.
Another option if you don’t want to spend all that $ to get the holes enlarged is to just bed the rail to the action. Use some JB weld and bed it using the 3 screws to hold it. If you ever need to remove it a little heat to the rail and it will come right off plus it’s a very solid mount after this also.

260madman

WKR
I’ve used a Leupold base, a Talley base, Leupold two piece rings, and Talley two piece rings. The internal threads are just gone. I’ve never had this happen in any other firearm.
Does it look like the screws were too long and bottomed out on the barrel tenon?

OP
NWMT_MountainBum

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
Does it look like the screws were too long and bottomed out on the barrel tenon?
It’s for sure the the threads. I’m sending it off to browning this week. I have another 7mm xbolt I built that is good I’m going to sell while that is getting fixed and then jump into a tikka and do a build.

260madman

WKR
Correct. I’m just wondering if the screws were a bit long and it pulled the threads. I’m think other people have had issues with the screws being too long. The base holes are shallow on X-bolts and are not forgiving. Never had an issue with Remington, Howa, Savage. I was extra cautious on the Xbolt because of what others had issues with.

It’s for sure the the threads. I’m sending it off to browning this week. I have another 7mm xbolt I built that is good I’m going to sell while that is getting fixed and then jump into a tikka and do a build.
I realize this thread is quite a bit old. I was wondering how things went with getting Browning to fix this issue. I have a brand new 300 PRC Speed SR with the same issue.