Browning xbolt max long range rifle

Rich M

WKR
The caliber available is 6.5 creed or .308.

Is this gun any good? Saw a really good review re accuracy, don't know if that was just a sales gimmick.

I don't plan on shooting at game more than 400 yards. Might do longer ranges at paper or steel.

I saw a cabelas ad today for that rifle. I dont own one but handled the 308 at a gun store. The tang safety was difficult to operate and the oversized plastic magazine just didn't do it for me. All 3 on the shelf had cerakote worn off the bolt knob , not sure what that was all about....

I have one in 300 Win Mag. Super gun, very accurate. Really like the adjustable LOP and cheek rest. I also have a X Bolt Speed in 30 06 that is also awesome. I put MCarbo trigger springs in both, went from a crisp 4.5 lb to 2.5 lb . Both like a wide range of ammo. The muzzle brakes really do a great job reducing recoil. But make sure you have good ear protection cause they are loud.

Safeties and bolts on both of mine are super smooth. The cerakote on my 30 06 has held up fine thru a year of deer and elk hunting. The Max is not cerakote.

Magazines have worked fine.

260madman

WKR
I wanted one in 7RM but Browning Tech couldn’t answer a question regarding mag internal dimensions so I figured they weren’t long enough to load the heavies at the lands. I bought an APO Saber M700 in 6.5CM instead. I know what I’m getting into with it.

JonRush

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Browning Hells Canyon Long Range in 300WM. Little bit picky developing the load, but once I did I average around .6” groups @ 100 with 200gr ELD Match.

Stalker69

WKR
I have one in 300 Win Mag. Super gun, very accurate. Really like the adjustable LOP and cheek rest. I also have a X Bolt Speed in 30 06 that is also awesome. I put MCarbo trigger springs in both, went from a crisp 4.5 lb to 2.5 lb . Both like a wide range of ammo. The muzzle brakes really do a great job reducing recoil. But make sure you have good ear protection cause they are loud.

Safeties and bolts on both of mine are super smooth. The cerakote on my 30 06 has held up fine thru a year of deer and elk hunting. The Max is not cerakote.

Magazines have worked fine.

The max is not cerakoted ? Because the description I read said a satin silver, when I asked the guy at Cabela’s he said it was coated. Are you positive it ain’t, because I have been looking for a rifle that isn’t and stopped looking at these do to that ? I guess I should really go see one in person, but if they are coated it ain’t worth it. Looking forward to your reply, as it sounds like should know if you have one, thanks. You got my hopes up again, but now the rebate ends today.

Stalker69

WKR
Found my answer, guess the guy don’t own one .
The Browning X-Bolt Pro Long Range is a semi-custom long range rifle with lapped and fluted heavy barrel. The wrap stock is carbon fiber. The weapon is completely finished with a Cerakote ceramic coating.Jan

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Found my answer, guess the guy don’t own one .
The Browning X-Bolt Pro Long Range is a semi-custom long range rifle with lapped and fluted heavy barrel. The wrap stock is carbon fiber. The weapon is completely finished with a Cerakote ceramic coating.Jan

Relatively old thread but want to clear up the confusion above. The X-Bolt Pro Long Range and X-Bolt Max Long Range are different rifles.

Max LR: Stainless steel, fluted heavy sporter barrel for long-range accuracy. Satin finish

Pro LR: BARREL Stainless steel • Pro Long Range: Heavy sporter contour • Threaded muzzle brake (thread protector included) • Proprietary lapping process enhances the bore finish • Cerakote Burnt Bronze finish • Fluted • Free-floating • Hand chambered • Target crown

Stalker69

WKR
Thanks, I gave up on the browning and bought a tikka a1. I liked the browning came in the 6.5 prc vs the tikka 6.5 creedmoor. But I read so many hit and misses on the browning and most the reviews on the tac a1 were very good, that is the way I went. But don’t really matter as I have yet to shoot it ! Lol. Probably be a safe queen until one of my sons gets it when I leave this place.

An update on my Browning XBolt Max Long Range in 300 Win mag. Sent it off to Pendelton Ammunition to work up an optimum load for it. I don't reload and wanted it verified at a minimum of 500 yards. This is going to be my primary elk rifle. Just turning 60 I figured I better have someone else do it before I don't need a long range rifle anymore...lol.

Steve West and Pendelton did an outstanding job. They kept in constant contact with email and phone calls. We discussed what I was looking for, type of hunting and expectations. I wanted a heavy bullet, as the rifle had the twist rate for one. I also had him add a Burris Veracity scope and 2 sets of custom turrets. One at 2,000 foot elevation for my east TN huting and one for 6,000 foot elevation for my CO hunts. The average at the ranch I will hunt at is 6,0000 to 8,000. Steve ended up with 0.50 inch MOA group using 220 grain ELD-x bullets at 2,795 fps. He also verified the turrets out to I think it was 750 yards. Farther than I will shoot! I took the rifle out to do a little shooting and verified the 0.5 inch MOA.

I'm not getting a thing for saying this!!!! Just outstanding service and really nice people. Can't wait until November.

I have a hells canyon long range with the mcmillian stock in a 28 nosler. It shot .5" out of the box with factory nosler ammo. I expected no less. Mine does have a semi heavy barrel. Like any x bolt, they do require a trigger job.

You are correct! First thing I did was changed the trigger to a Timney in both my X Bolts. My 300 Win Mag shot solid 1 inch MOA with Nosler Accubonds and Federal Trophy Bonded Tips. I was looking for a heavier bullet and don't reload. My 30 06 Speed shoots the 180 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Tips at about 3/4 inch MOA . Very happy with that setup. Thinking of getting a 28 Nosler if I can find one in stock! swampthing what Nosler bullet shot the best from your 28?????