Bruised Meat

What's everyone's opinion on bruised meat? I'm pretty careful about cutting away meat damage to avoid bullet and bone fragments, but is there anything wrong with general bruising? It makes for pretty bloody meat, but does it affect anything other than taste? I've heard of people sending bruised meat to the dog food pile and am wondering why.

My mom harvested a mule deer doe with her Subaru Outback month or so back. The sheriff showed up and killed the deer around 20 minutes after my mom hit it. It was gutted around 3 hours later once I got home. I hung the deer for a few days, then butchered it.

The back hams were pretty bruised up, so I cubed them up and tossed them in the freezer. I'm planning on grinding it up for sausages mostly. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
I’ve harvested lots of road kill but never thought about keeping the blood shot meat. I guess if you don’t mind eating hematoma then there’s no issue. Back when I had dogs I would feed them all that stuff and fascia too. They lived plenty long so I guess it can’t be too bad eating that stuff.

I should mention my one dog pulled an elk hide off the work bench and ate a 1/4 of it before I got home. The vet had to purge his stomach, so I can’t recommend eating hide.

Reactions: wyo
I’m glad someone asked this I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’ve never had any weird looking meat just blood shot and as said above that’s either gone in the dog pile or the gut pile.

With an injury do you just cut until the meat looks normal?