Brush resistant pants

I usually wear nylon pants (prana Zion and similar) but they haven’t offered enough protection for pokes and thorns in some areas and it’s ruining the pants faster. Does anyone have recommendations for brush resistant pants?

ChrisAU

WKR
I've enjoyed the Sawbucks on some brushy training hikes down here in AL as well as a couple of dove hunts. Much cooler in the heat down here than the old standby of Carhartts or Wrangle Brush pants.

I've trashed a pair of Kuiu Attack pants and Wrangler Outdoor pants in a single day in the desert. My Kryptek Alaious have held up pretty well (5 years). After one day my Kuiu Attack pants looked rough. After one day my Wrangler Outdoor pants looked rough. Friends have had a great success with their Sitka pants. Kuiu Pro pants held up extremely well after 16 days in Alaska. Do have some Dicky's that have held up several years; primarily wear then when chasing dove, quail and periodically waterfowl; lots of encounters with cactus, ocotillo, and an assortment of other plants that want to poke and/or cut you.

I usually wear gaiters to reduce getting poked; side benefit is less damage to the pants.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey I have the firstlite sawbuck pants. I wear them almost every day at home stalking for coyotes in the evenings. They are perfect. Tough in the knees and legs, very stretchy in the crotch and hips for great movement. My go to pants.

RAPTOR

WKR
FL Sawbuck are nice, I have a pair that I really like. Double front rigby carhartts are aces too.

brush chaps can save the pants you have.
+1 for the Nite Lite chaps minus the zipper makes (no zippers for me). I tried a pair a few years ago for running dogs in wet summer grass... Now I rotate 3 sets. Tough as nails for hunting birds in cover, whatever. The $24 versions wear better than any of my old Tin Chaps and virtually weightless - can pack them in a ZipLoc sandwich bag or a sock. Just note that anything nylon or stiff cotton makes noise.

For going stealth through thorny stuff, my vote is to wear-in a pair of Carhartt Flex Rigby pants with the double fronts.

Attachments

• IMG_6618.JPG
    IMG_6618.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 34
One more thing: If smallmouth bass wore pants, they'd be rocking Carhartt Flex Rigby. Faded Carhartt brown, of course.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
Any type of snake proof clothing will stand up just fine to any type of thorns or razor-sharp terrain. Snake boots, snake proof pants, chaps and gaiters.. all will suit you quite well.

OP
canyonhunter47
brush chaps can save the pants you have.
I like the idea of these and having options on the fit (I just want normal, not baggy and swishy but not hipster skinny pants either). How quiet and how heavy are they? I plan to use them for archery deer, javelina and maybe even elk hunts. I suppose they could be removed for a stalk though

OP
canyonhunter47
Hey I have the firstlite sawbuck pants. I wear them almost every day at home stalking for coyotes in the evenings. They are perfect. Tough in the knees and legs, very stretchy in the crotch and hips for great movement. My go to pants.
I saw these and like them (except for the price). How quiet are they?

Has anyone compared the LL Bean Upland Briar Pants, or even patagucci brush pants?

rayporter

WKR
you can get light wt and heavy wt. the light wt ones are very light and don't bother me at all. they ventilate well in warm weather but in hot weather can get a little toasty. for heavy briars like multiflora rose the heavy is tops. the lights are water proof for a while but briars do a lot to make them water resistant quickly.

there is some noise. I wear them still hunting and it does not seem outrageous.

Fjallraven Vidda pro trousers. Most rugged pants I’ve ever worn. They’re g1000(waxed canvas blend) with reinforcement. They aren’t quiet though, that’s for sure.

wesfromky

WKR
Arborwear - kinda like carhartt, but for tree climbers, so they feel less restrictive to me. The fleece lined ones are great for colder temps as well.

vdeal

FNG
+2 on the Arborwear. I wear their Tech pants late fall through early spring and haven't put a scratch on them.