Brushed Stainless Barrel 700 BDL: Anyone know this rifle?

I picked up a brushed stainless Remington 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. 24" metal finish stainless sporter barrel. It's got a standard walnut stock and bottom metal (although someone installed a nice Jewell trigger). I can't find much on walnut-stocked BDL rifles with brushed stainless. There seems to have been several Shot Show runs in various calibers. For all I know it's a BDL stock stuck on an old stainless barrel and action.

I think I've read where you could special order a brushed stainless action/barrel as options for the BDL, but not sure.

Any ideas?

EQ barrel mark, so I'm guessing '96, but who knows. It has a "98" after the barrel date marks, so I'm wondering if that means 1998 (as in it went back in for work in 1998). In any case, pretty little gun. Looking forward to setting it up.

SS BDL.jpg
SS BDL Barrel.jpg
SS BDL Barrel Label.jpg

Last edited:

B23

WKR
I'll bet it started life as a Remington LSS and someone put a BDL stock on it.

The Remington LSS model came as a 24in stainless steel action and barrel with a laminated stock. I bought one some years ago as a donor for my 7mm Blaser build.

That could also just be an early BDL stainless. Before the ugly rough SPS stainless rifles came out they had nice and smooth finished BDL rifles. Even some of the early SPS stainless were decent as far as finish. I would guess though that isn't the original stock but does look nice. Should be a fine rifle (y)

OP
Mike Islander
That could also just be an early BDL stainless. Before the ugly rough SPS stainless rifles came out they had nice and smooth finished BDL rifles. Even some of the early SPS stainless were decent as far as finish. I would guess though that isn't the original stock but does look nice. Should be a fine rifle (y)

So were there walnut BDL's made with stainless barrel and actions? All of the bottom metal is also stainless color, but I suspect it is aluminum except for the spring and box (which is raw stainless). Not sure.

So were there walnut BDL's made with stainless barrel and actions? All of the bottom metal is also stainless color, but I suspect it is aluminum except for the spring and box (which is raw stainless). Not sure.
I don't believe they did unless it was maybe a special run?? I know later on they did some in walnut but those where the CDL and I think those all had fluted barrels on them. And like B23 posted the LSS rifles but those all came in laminated stocks - also really nice rifles.

I had a similar rifle in the mid 90's, probably around 1994 or so that was just like your rifle - also a 300 Win Mag and was sold as a BDL stainless and it came in a black plastic stock. Nice smooth stainless finish and all in stainless including the bottom metal which is/was actually some sort of pot metal and pretty lightweight. Great rifles but not the most fun to shoot often:)

Think that was probably my last magnum - they do make for a heck of an elk rifle and that one you have there sure has a nice stock, I'm almost thinking it could be an after market?? Does the butt-plate say Remington on it?? If so it is a factory stock but a really nice one IMHO.

OP
Mike Islander
I don't believe they did unless it was maybe a special run?? I know later on they did some in walnut but those where the CDL and I think those all had fluted barrels on them. And like B23 posted the LSS rifles but those all came in laminated stocks - also really nice rifles.

I had a similar rifle in the mid 90's, probably around 1994 or so that was just like your rifle - also a 300 Win Mag and was sold as a BDL stainless and it came in a black plastic stock. Nice smooth stainless finish and all in stainless including the bottom metal which is/was actually some sort of pot metal and pretty lightweight. Great rifles but not the most fun to shoot often:)

Think that was probably my last magnum - they do make for a heck of an elk rifle and that one you have there sure has a nice stock, I'm almost thinking it could be an after market?? Does the butt-plate say Remington on it?? If so it is a factory stock but a really nice one IMHO.

Thank you for your thoughts. Sounds like what I have, with the BDL stock swapped in. Same stainless looking molded bottom metal. I like the weight in a magnum.

Definitely a Remington BDL stock, complete with Remington buttplate. Has some really nice grain.
20220113_115533~2.jpg

Now with that last picture yes you can really tell its a BDL stock - but an earlier one when they still did really nice checkering on them - later ones often times where pretty fuzzy in detail.

Bet that will be a handful though with that solid pad on the stock - will certainly get your attention when you pull the trigger;)

OP
Mike Islander
Now with that last picture yes you can really tell its a BDL stock - but an earlier one when they still did really nice checkering on them - later ones often times where pretty fuzzy in detail.

Bet that will be a handful though with that solid pad on the stock - will certainly get your attention when you pull the trigger;)

I'm probably not going to shoot it without a pad. Thinking about using one of the AirTech sleeve type, but a permanent solution would be best. Just hate to alter the stock. Funny thing is if it was new, I wouldn't hesitate.

B23

WKR
I would guess that stock to be mid 70's based on the checkering. The earlier BDL stocks had scrolls and fleur de lis in the checkering and the later ones the checkering looked completely different. I have a later Rem 700 BDL stock on my 20-222 and it looks noticeably different.

OP
Mike Islander
I would guess that stock to be mid 70's based on the checkering. The earlier BDL stocks had scrolls and fleur de lis in the checkering and the later ones the checkering looked completely different. I have a later Rem 700 BDL stock on my 20-222 and it looks noticeably different.

Yes, my 1972 BDL 30-06.has the ribbon checkering. The wood quality on this stainless rifle immediately made me think "early". Based on barrel code of EQ, it could be a 78. I tried calling Remington but couldn't even get voice mail.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it’s just a stock off of a non-magnum BDL put on a stainless barreled action, judging by lack of recoil pad. Barreled action would most likely be from a BDL stainless synthetic, or LSS.

Kelltek23

FNG
Hey guys, little late to this post but hopefully some of you are still watching or will receive notification. I found a Remington 700 walnut stock with stainless barrel in 300wby. Looks almost identical to the original post pictures except the barrel has a built in muzzle brake. Guy is listing it as a BDL but I'm unsure if it's a custom build or home build. I would agree the stock is a BDL stock as it looks like my other Remingtons and the stainless barrel is stamped with all the Remington markings and also has a 93 stamped in it. Action, floor plate, trigger and trigger guard are all stainless (or silver looking) as well. Intrigued by the gun and any info on it's build would be appreciated! Trying to get photos as well!
Thanks.

Hey guys, little late to this post but hopefully some of you are still watching or will receive notification. I found a Remington 700 walnut stock with stainless barrel in 300wby. Looks almost identical to the original post pictures except the barrel has a built in muzzle brake. Guy is listing it as a BDL but I'm unsure if it's a custom build or home build. I would agree the stock is a BDL stock as it looks like my other Remingtons and the stainless barrel is stamped with all the Remington markings and also has a 93 stamped in it. Action, floor plate, trigger and trigger guard are all stainless (or silver looking) as well. Intrigued by the gun and any info on it's build would be appreciated! Trying to get photos as well!
Thanks.
Without some pictures can't tell what it could be. And if you can get a picture showing the serial# and also the stamp on the barrel, that would tell you all you need to know about the rifle.

B23

WKR
Maybe this has already been mentioned but I'm not sure Remington ever sold a BDL Custom DLX in stainless I think they were always blued chromoly barrels and actions.

If someone was selling a Rem BDL Custom DLX and it was SS I'd be leery it was all original and came from the factory that way.

Kelltek23

FNG
Maybe this has already been mentioned but I'm not sure Remington ever sold a BDL Custom DLX in stainless I think they were always blued chromoly barrels and actions.

If someone was selling a Rem BDL Custom DLX and it was SS I'd be leery it was all original and came from the factory that way.
I agree. While I do not know everything about the 700's I have been around them my whole life. My dad's go go's are Remington 700's and between him and I we have some of everything and he has never seen one like this which makes me believe it was possibly a home build and use to have a synthetic stock. It's sharp looking for sure and I bet the walnut bdl stock would hammer ya even with the brake 😂. I'll will keep researching and try to get photos.

I agree - don't think there are any BDL Custom DLX in stainless but Remington did do a special run I believe for Lipsey's back in the 1990's?? It was a stainless Classic, a stainless BDL rifle in a nice wood stock. It matched the Classic rifles that came out every year in a different caliber, but the Lipseys run was a all stainless rifle. They come up for sale on occasion - see link the stock isn't the same as your standard BDL IMHO its a much nice stock.

B23

WKR
Yeah the stock looks completely different than those on BDL Custom DLX models

OP
Mike Islander

All three of the BDL magnums were originally produced in stainless from 1962 - 1972, but Parkerized black, not brushed bright.

I know the 2003 Shot Show limited was brushed SS in a nice walnut stock, but that was 7mm magnum. May have been other caliber Limiteds in other years.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I believe it’s just a stock off of a non-magnum BDL put on a stainless barreled action, judging by lack of recoil pad. Barreled action would most likely be from a BDL stainless synthetic, or LSS.
This is what I am thinking, too. I don’t remember any magnums coming with the thin, hard butt plate. If you pull the action out of the stock, you might be able to tell that someone has opened the barrel channel to the magnum contour. Even if it is pieced together, it is a good looking rifle.