BTX 95mm Tripod & Head

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
What lightweight tripod and head are you guys using with a BTX 95mm. Was thinking of getting the standard Outdoorsman tripod but not sure which head to get

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I thought I could get by with the Jim White 2.0 using the Outdoorsman balance rail. Not stable enough. Trying one of those Siuri’s now.

If you are going the Outdoorsmans route, I would recommend the Tall tripod over the standard.

You should really look at Really Right Stuff.
Alpha carbon fiber for alpha glass. The RRS TFCT 24L can be a little over 3# when you remove the two bottom leg sections. That’s including the head.

OP
Wolf-killer

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going the Outdoorsmans route, I would recommend the Tall tripod over the standard.

You should really look at Really Right Stuff.
Alpha carbon fiber for alpha glass. The RRS TFCT 24L can be a little over 3# when you remove the two bottom leg sections. That’s including the head.
But the RRS are so expensive, what head with the RRS?

tdot

WKR
I tried every single one of the Outdoorsman heads (except their fluid head) Returned them all or sold them. IMO they weren't sufficient for the BTX/95, even before you consider the price.

I ended up trying a number of heads and ended up staying with the RRS tripods and heads. Every one of the RRS heads I've tried has worked. Even the RRS BPC16, which is only a few ounces and $140 or so, is awesome. It is my full time backpacking head, along with a modified 14 Series tripod, something like 1.5 pounds tripod and head. If I was going to shoot off of it, but still primarily backpack glass with it, I'd recommend the BH-40 and the 2 series tripods.

It took me awhile to spend the money on the RRS gear, but glad I did and now seriously considering buying a 3 series tripod with an Anvil.

The Sirui VA5 is FANTASTIC. Under $400 IMO, it's the best head on the market. Plus with the promo we have here, normally $164.90, costs you $140.17 and then you get 15% back from sirui

Here is a link to see it

Please feel free to call me with any questions

I’m using a Slik Pro 724 CFL with a Manfrotto 700 RC2 Head And works great for me. I tried to use it with the smaller 624 tripod and just not stable enough

BBob

WKR
For my "lightweight" setup with twin Swaro STS (similar weight to BTX) I'm currently using an RRS TQC-14 Mk2 (lower leg section removed) and Sirui VA5 head. With the RRS and VA5 any bounce damps almost immediately. The VA5 is very good and you can't beat the price.

Outdoorsmans tripod w/VA5 works fairly well but has noticeably more bounce than the RRS. OD tripod w/OD std pan head damps slightly slower than OD and VA5.

OP
Wolf-killer

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
I tried every single one of the Outdoorsman heads (except their fluid head) Returned them all or sold them. IMO they weren't sufficient for the BTX/95, even before you consider the price.

I ended up trying a number of heads and ended up staying with the RRS tripods and heads. Every one of the RRS heads I've tried has worked. Even the RRS BPC16, which is only a few ounces and $140 or so, is awesome. It is my full time backpacking head, along with a modified 14 Series tripod, something like 1.5 pounds tripod and head. If I was going to shoot off of it, but still primarily backpack glass with it, I'd recommend the BH-40 and the 2 series tripods.

It took me awhile to spend the money on the RRS gear, but glad I did and now seriously considering buying a 3 series tripod with an Anvil.
Im thinking of the 2 series tripod with anvil head. If I'm reading right I can shoot off of that head since I have a piccitany rail attached to my forend of rifle?

tdot

WKR
Im thinking of the 2 series tripod with anvil head. If I'm reading right I can shoot off of that head since I have a piccitany rail attached to my forend of rifle?

Yes, you can shoot off of the Anvil attached to the Picatinny. You can also shoot off their other heads via a Picatinny if you add the SC-LR quick release clamp. It is the same quick release mechanism used on the Anvil, which can attach both the Picatinny and RRS dovetail.

Mind sharing details on how you got that setup down to 1.5 pounds? That head sounds sweet if it holds the btx well.

tdot

WKR
Mind sharing details on how you got that setup down to 1.5 pounds? That head sounds sweet if it holds the btx well.

I pull the bottom two leg sections out, remove the last nut and cover the threaded aluminum collar on the end of the leg with a PVC pipe cap. I just reassembled my tripod to full height for a trip to the range, but will try to remember to post a picture when I shorten it again.

Just checked my notes the modified tripod alone is 1.4 pounds (658grams), plus the head (125grams), for a total of 1.75pounds.

The head works for BTX/95 but I didn't think it worked very well with the ME extender.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The Sirui VA5 is FANTASTIC. Under $400 IMO, it's the best head on the market. Plus with the promo we have here, normally $164.90, costs you $140.17 and then you get 15% back from sirui

Here is a link to see it

Please feel free to call me with any questions

That’s the one I’m trying now.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

And any chance of a simple explanationon what the difference is between the RRS 2,3,4 versions? I looked around a little on the website and can’t figure it out. I know Darrin Cooper rents them out in his gear shop and was thinking about giving that a try this fall.

Cody_W

WKR
I thought I could get by with the Jim White 2.0 using the Outdoorsman balance rail. Not stable enough. Trying one of those Siuri’s now.

good luck. I had the 1204x I believe and it wasn’t near stable enough for my 95mm atx. I went with a leofoto sm-364C and leveling base (looks like a rebranded rrs) and have been extremely pleased. Though it’s almost twice as heavy and over twice the price If the Sirui. I will say the VA-5 was a nice head, the tripod just wasn’t stiff enough for the weight of the atx. IMO

I just don’t understand the reasoning to put multi-thousand dollar spotter on a made in china plastic head...

Here is an article by a photographer named Dan Carr, he breaks down the RRS naming strategy and what each number in the RRS system means. If you have 15-minutes, highly suggest reading this.

Opening quote from the article:
”There comes a time in every photographer’s life when they need to buy a tripod. Sadly, many people screw this up and buy the cheapest one they can find, only to have it break within a year or two having probably done more harm than good to their photography. About 15 years ago I made this mistake myself by buying one of those cheap SLIK tripods.

After that comes another time in a photographer’s life where they decide to buy a “proper” tripod, one that will last them for the rest of their life, and it’s during this second search that many people come across the made-in-the-USA tripods from Really Right Stuff. In this guide I will share a decade’s worth of experience using a wide range of their tripods, to help you make the right decision.“

Schism

WKR
I have the ATX 95 and when paired with an RRS tripod and Gitzo fluid head it is a very stable combination. The RRS Anvil head is ok but the Gitzo is smoother and more user friendly when glassing. When shooting from a tripod the Anvil wins over the Gitzo.

This thread has me looking around at tripods again. I picked up a gitzo 1545t on ebay last year, which is what I plan on running the atx/btx 95mm on when I get the objective. There's actually one on there right now for a reasonable price. That RRS BPC-16 head and my gitzo might be ticket for me. The BPC-16 would even lighten up my modified sirui that I'm currently running the outdoormans micro pan on for the atx with 65mm objective.