BTX 95mm Tripod & Head

..The RRS Anvil head is ok but the Gitzo is smoother and more user friendly when glassing. When shooting from a tripod the Anvil wins over the Gitzo.

I’m going to play with the anvil head some more, maybe add a bit of grease to see if it can be “smoothed” a little. RRS also has a “panner clamp” that might be a nice add to the ball head.

OP
Wolf-killer

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you can shoot off of the Anvil attached to the Picatinny. You can also shoot off their other heads via a Picatinny if you add the SC-LR quick release clamp. It is the same quick release mechanism used on the Anvil, which can attach both the Picatinny and RRS dovetail.
I think Im gonna pull the trigger on a TVC-24L and BH-40SC
Do I want fixed Apex or versa apex?

tdot

WKR
I think Im gonna pull the trigger on a TVC-24L and BH-40SC
Do I want fixed Apex or versa apex?

It's your call, it depends on how you want to use it. Fixed apex is smaller in diameter when packed, and a few ounces lighter. The Versa apex allows the use of a center column if you ever choose to go that route, or a leveling base. I feel like the new heads have rendered the leveling bases unnecessary, unless you have a specific need for it. So really, for me, it comes down to if you want the center column. Personally I ended up with the Fixed Apex, but since I have the 14 series, I occasionally regret my choice, but more often then not, it was the right choice for me.

good luck. I had the 1204x I believe and it wasn’t near stable enough for my 95mm atx. I went with a leofoto sm-364C and leveling base (looks like a rebranded rrs) and have been extremely pleased. Though it’s almost twice as heavy and over twice the price If the Sirui. I will say the VA-5 was a nice head, the tripod just wasn’t stiff enough for the weight of the atx. IMO
The N series tripods from Sirui would be a better option. They are heavier and more stable with the heavier scopes then the T and ST series.

Cody_W

WKR
It's your call, it depends on how you want to use it. Fixed apex is smaller in diameter when packed, and a few ounces lighter. The Versa apex allows the use of a center column if you ever choose to go that route, or a leveling base. I feel like the new heads have rendered the leveling bases unnecessary, unless you have a specific need for it. So really, for me, it comes down to if you want the center column. Personally I ended up with the Fixed Apex, but since I have the 14 series, I occasionally regret my choice, but more often then not, it was the right choice for me.

If I were buying rrs I’d snag the fixed and an anvil. Heard nothing but good from everyone who uses them.

tdot

WKR
And any chance of a simple explanationon what the difference is between the RRS 2,3,4 versions? I looked around a little on the website and can’t figure it out. I know Darrin Cooper rents them out in his gear shop and was thinking about giving that a try this fall.

The major difference is the diameter of the legs. As you increase the diameter of the top leg in each family of tripods, the smallest leg also gets bigger. So for example, in my 1 series, the 2nd from top leg section is the same diameter as the thinnest leg in the 34 series tripod.

Larger diameter legs = more weight and more stability/strength

tdot

WKR
This thread has me looking around at tripods again. I picked up a gitzo 1545t on ebay last year, which is what I plan on running the atx/btx 95mm on when I get the objective. There's actually one on there right now for a reasonable price. That RRS BPC-16 head and my gitzo might be ticket for me. The BPC-16 would even lighten up my modified sirui that I'm currently running the outdoormans micro pan on for the atx with 65mm objective.

I got rid of my micro pan after the first glassing session with the BPC16.

tdot

WKR
Mind sharing details on how you got that setup down to 1.5 pounds? That head sounds sweet if it holds the btx well.

Here are a couple of pics. This shows the lower leg sections being pulled out. Note the 2 pieces of plastic pipe that are just being exposed under the threaded collar. This is to prevent twist in the legs, it has a specific orientation and those plastic pieces are 2 different sizes. Not complicated, but something to pay attention to.

I run 2 short legs and the 3rd has 1 extra leg section. This way in steep terrain I can more easily deal with elevation changes.

3rd pic shows the BTX/95 mounted in just about the most out of balance position possible. The BPC16 locks up fine and is reasonably smooth while panning. Setting the tension on the thumb lever to never fully release the tension, allows movement without the scope dropping, but I'd still not take my hand off the scope. This isnt a 3 pound fluid head.

Attachments

• 20200704_144543.jpg
    20200704_144543.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200704_145019.jpg
    20200704_145019.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200704_150416.jpg
    20200704_150416.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 87

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Tdot. With all my current tripods use my center column for fine adjustments. I like to keep it all the way down but I’d rather move the center up an inch or two than do the same to all 3 legs when I rotate to a different viewing area or track an animal. I see most of the RRS are using the fixed top rather than a center column. How do you make those small adjustments? Do you move a leg in or out on the top pivot point? Or do you raise/lower all 3 legs with the twist lock? I’m very intrigued by the larger diameter carbon tubes.

Any comments on the inverted SOAR 2 piece units? 64” height plus a head should allow me glass standing at 6-1

tdot

WKR
Thanks Tdot. With all my current tripods use my center column for fine adjustments. I like to keep it all the way down but I’d rather move the center up an inch or two than do the same to all 3 legs when I rotate to a different viewing area or track an animal. I see most of the RRS are using the fixed top rather than a center column. How do you make those small adjustments? Do you move a leg in or out on the top pivot point? Or do you raise/lower all 3 legs with the twist lock? I’m very intrigued by the larger diameter carbon tubes.

Any comments on the inverted SOAR 2 piece units? 64” height plus a head should allow me glass standing at 6-1

The center column is definitely the quickest. I typically glass sitting down, often I'll have two of the legs straddling one of my legs, with one long leg down the hill. I'll do a macro adjustment with all 3 legs, then as I need to make micro adjustments I will typically only adjust the 2 legs that are closest to me. Yes, this will take the mounting platform out of level, but I find since I would typically have to move the head anyways, after adjusting the center column, Its no big deal to adjust for that out of level. This technique works best with a ball head.

When standing, if I have to adjust all 3 legs, then I typically will set the macro height with all 3 legs, keeping the smallest sections to a minimum, if possible. But then my micro adjustments are only done at the top leg section, so I'm not reaching down to the bottom of the tripod.... this is similar to the benefit that the inverted tripod gives, the adjustment is up high on the tripod leg. I can't really comment on the Inverted tripod, as I haven't used it, but I can certainly see some benefits, and some negatives. I personally wouldnt get one due to the long collapsed length.

Last edited:
OP
Wolf-killer

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered a TVC-24L & BH-40SC. The anvil head just didn't look as easy to use with spotter.

The BTX w/ 95mm objective is surprisingly well balanced once mounted. I chose the Manfrotto Junior Geared Head (410) on SLIK Pro 624CF tripod. The head allows me to steadily scan large swaths of real estate using the knobs...up, down, left or right. Locks the big glass in place even in wind. I agonized over this purchase and researched it (OCD style) to death. Very happy with the decision, no post-purchase regrets. Gotta great deal from Cameraland too.

MONFROTTO.JPG
MONFROTTO410JR.JPG

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
The Sirui VA5 is FANTASTIC. Under $400 IMO, it's the best head on the market. Plus with the promo we have here, normally $164.90, costs you $140.17 and then you get 15% back from sirui

Here is a link to see it

Please feel free to call me with any questions
Do you know if the peak designs capture clip plate will go on the VA-5 head?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I spent the end of November/beginning of December helping a friend in AZ with his Desert Sheep tag. Due to some unfortunate Covid related problems I’m recovering from I was the designated Rhino based glasser. This allowed me to do a lot of testing tripod wise. I had a Slik 634 with a Slik ball head for my 12 NLs which I ended up using 10% of the time. Same as my 65mm Swarovski mounted on a big aluminum Monfrotto tripod with Suriu VA-5. 80% of the time I used my 95mm BTX on a Surii package I got from 1ShotGear with a 2204 tripod and VA-5 head. It’s amazing. Right about 3#, I can stand up and glass with it at 6’ 1” and it is SOLID. Definitely will be what I use when I have to pick ONE tripod for everything.

1ShotGear Tripod Package

The Slik 634 is slightly lighter but no way as stable.

That VA-5 handles the 95 BTX perfectly. Same with the tripod.

If you look close you can see them all in this pic:

1E150465-A37B-48AA-876C-CF2EA045BB2A.jpeg

I tried every single one of the Outdoorsman heads (except their fluid head) Returned them all or sold them. IMO they weren't sufficient for the BTX/95, even before you consider the price.

I ended up trying a number of heads and ended up staying with the RRS tripods and heads. Every one of the RRS heads I've tried has worked. Even the RRS BPC16, which is only a few ounces and $140 or so, is awesome. It is my full time backpacking head, along with a modified 14 Series tripod, something like 1.5 pounds tripod and head. If I was going to shoot off of it, but still primarily backpack glass with it, I'd recommend the BH-40 and the 2 series tripods.

It took me awhile to spend the money on the RRS gear, but glad I did and now seriously considering buying a 3 series tripod with an Anvil.
I know this post is almost a year old, but thought I'd offer my experience. I love RRS "stuff", but I have found the BH40 to be wholly inadequate for a large spotting scope. I would not recommend it for that purpose. Large = Swarovski ST80. The BH40 does have its advantages, it is light and compact and fills a role with lighter gear and when you don't need smooth movement without "flopping".

lose_money

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is old thread but anyone ever attach a pan head on top of an anvil 30 and use that for a spotting scope?