BTX and 12x50 combo?

Nooch2222

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running the BTX and 12x50 Combo? If so how are you liking it? I currently use the Swaro 10's, 15's 95mm and 65mm STX combo. Sold the 10's already and now debating selling the 15's and buying the 12's and the BTX eyepiece.

Depending on the hunt I am running some combination of SLC 10s, SLC 15s, STX 65/95.

Nothing wrong with using the 12s ifyou can hold them steadily with your hands.

The BTX is nice and I may pick one up this year. However, it is overpowering for closer in distances.

I’ve been using my 10x42 Leica Geovids with a BTX 95mm. I recently added SLC 15x56’s after much pining between the NL 12’s and those so going to see how it goes. It’s a lot of weight to be carrying around just in optics but figure I can swap out the Kowa 55 and leave the BTX if need be sometimes. I was going to get the NL 12’s but the Leicas have really performed fantastic for me, and too close power wise.

Anyone running the BTX and 12x50 Combo? If so how are you liking it? I currently use the Swaro 10's, 15's 95mm and 65mm STX combo. Sold the 10's already and now debating selling the 15's and buying the 12's and the BTX eyepiece.
I think that would be the best option!

Q child

WKR
I am not running the combo, but I have the BTX 85 and can recommend it highly.
I really don't see how you could go wrong pairing the scope with some 12s. With your budget though, why aren't you thinking the 12x42s? Just curious.
If I am understanding correctly, then you would keep the STX ocular. Am I reading that right? Either way, at least for now I would recommend keeping your STX. The BTX is sweet, but is a pretty different animal than the STX, and as a result I don't consider them interchangeable.

OP
Nooch2222

Nooch2222

Lil-Rokslider
I am not running the combo, but I have the BTX 85 and can recommend it highly.
I really don't see how you could go wrong pairing the scope with some 12s. With your budget though, why aren't you thinking the 12x42s? Just curious.
If I am understanding correctly, then you would keep the STX ocular. Am I reading that right? Either way, at least for now I would recommend keeping your STX. The BTX is sweet, but is a pretty different animal than the STX, and as a result I don't consider them interchangeable.
I haven't even considered the 12x42's that could be an option also. I live about an hour outside of Phoenix here in Az and don't have a place close to look at and compare any binos. I'm thinking my plan is to use 12's and 95mm spotter on day hunts. 12's 15's and 95 mm spotter when hunting with my wife. And 12's and 65mm when backpack hunting.

Beendare

WKR
That’s what my guide buddy runs; 12x & BTX 95mm

He spends about 300 days a year in the woods and almost every day of it involves glassing.

I think it would be silly to sell the 15‘s to buy the 12s

-

OP
Nooch2222

Nooch2222

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what my guide buddy runs; 12x & BTX 95mm

He spends about 300 days a year in the woods and almost every day of it involves glassing.

I think it would be silly to sell the 15‘s to buy the 12s

-
Can you explain why you think it would be silly to get rid of the 15's to get the 12's? Are thinking weight and bulkiness of the BTX?

I almost went the 15 slc route. Went with 12x50 els. That being said I have 10x42 els, an ATX 85, and the 12s mentioned above. Personally I couldn't get myself to sell any of them to get another and I really want some NLs and a pair of 8x32 els, well and that kowa 553/4. My view is just get them all and have every possible optic and combo of them for all occasions. BTW I love high end optics..

I have no experience with the 15s however through extensive research I went the 12 route. And they are a major step up in magnification from the 10 el. Most of what I learned researching stated the the 12 el and its sharpness will defeat/compete with the 15 slc, yet its lighter, almost hand capable, and can be had at a fair price since the NL introduction. I also remember Matt Cashell saying in his NL review that the EL 12x50 still (barely) beat the NL 12X42 in last light testing-probably due to objective size.. my recent research on the NL from bird forum says the NL is a tad contrastier, the focus knob is faster, and the glare issues are not as bad as some have made it out to be. Hope that doesnt make the decision harder...

Last edited:
OP
Nooch2222

Nooch2222

Lil-Rokslider
I almost went the 15 slc route. Went with 12x50 els. That being said I have 10x42 els, an ATX 85, and the 12s mentioned above. Personally I couldn't get myself to sell any of them to get another and I really want some NLs and a pair of 8x32 els, well and that kowa 553/4. My view is just get them all and have every possible optic and combo of them for all occasions. BTW I love high end optics..

I have no experience with the 15s however through extensive research I went the 12 route. And they are a major step up in magnification from the 10 el. Most of what I learned researching stated the the 12 el and its sharpness will defeat/compete with the 15 slc, yet its lighter, almost hand capable, and can be had at a fair price since the NL introduction. I also remember Matt Cashell saying in his NL review that the EL 12x50 still (barely) beat the NL 12X42 in last light testing-probably due to objective size.. my recent research on the NL from bird forum says the NL is a tad contrastier, the focus knob is faster, and the glare issues are not as bad as some have made it out to be. Hope that doesnt make the decision harder...
That does Help thank you. I started looking into the 12x42's yesterday since Q child mentioned it above. I think im swaying that way. Field of view with the NL 12x42 is 339 at 1000 yards compared to the 12x50 of 300 at 1000. I thought it would be the other way around.

That does Help thank you. I started looking into the 12x42's yesterday since Q child mentioned it above. I think im swaying that way. Field of view with the NL 12x42 is 339 at 1000 yards compared to the 12x50 of 300 at 1000. I thought it would be the other way around.
Yeah field of view is more a function of aaov apparent angle of view. This is something that's obvious with say a swaro 10x32mm which have a small objective lens yes, but the aaov still creates a large viewing diameter (6.9° and 360ft @1000) where as the 10x42 el for example (6.2° and 336ft @1000). The NL and its 7.6° aaov increases FOV well. The only draw back I am finding with NL reports in the 12x42 is the smaller "finicky" eye box, from the smaller exit pupil. 42÷12 =3.5 mm exit pupil, which many are saying is noticable as compared to the EL line up where as the exit pupil never dips below 4mm except with the 10x32 (32÷10= 3.2 exit pupil) which is a binocular known to experienced users to have a somewhat finicky eye box. Some folks have reported issue with the 12x42NL in this regard while glassing from a tripod, stating if their head position isnt exact, blackouts in the image occur..