BTX or 95/115mm Objective

treillw

WKR
I have a 65mm ATX. Would like to upgrade it for when weight is less of an issue. Would you get a BTX or a larger objective (95 or 115mm) first? Why? Might be quite a few years before I end up with both.

Thanks!

Trr15

WKR
I’ve had the 65mm for a few years and just added a 95mm objective into the mix a few months back. It’s a significant upgrade. I’ve never looked through the 115, but can already tell that I’m going to be wondering about it until I finally break down and swap out the 95mm for one. Not because I expect it to be dramatically better, but I’ll know that I have the best possible optic for the situations when weight isn’t an issue (I’ll inevitably add the BTX). With that said, I have packed the 95mm on occasion. Not sure how much more cumbersome the 115mm would be and if I’d be more reluctant to haul it around the mountain.

I have the STX and BTX eyepieces and an 85mm objective it is a really good all around combo. If i were to go bigger it would be the 115mm because it has a better exit pupil size than the 95mm.

fatrascal

WKR
If I could not have both a single eyepiece and the BTX at the same time and I had to choose one over the other then I would personally choose the single eyepiece and in my case that would be the ATX. Why? Because personally I truley use the spotter to spot game at long distances. And I can decipher wether its a trophy or just a meat animal at longer distance. Also, if I want to go backpack hunt then I'm going to put my atx on a 65mm objective lens. So for me, who backpack hunts and truck hunts, im gonna want the 65mm objective and the atx first. Everything else I get will be extra tools. Which I do have the btx. 115mm is on back order. For a truck hunting the 35 power btx might be all the power you need. If I was truck hunting then I say go big or go home. 115mm all the way. I already have the 65 and when I get the 115 I see no reason to get anything in the middle meaning the 85 or 95 objective. Fatrascal

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have all the objectives and the ATX and BTX eyepieces. I think the answer really depends on where you hunt and how you use your optics.

The BTX drastically changed how much I use my scope to actually search for game versus using a spotting scope to investigate “maybe deer or stump elk” and judging trophy quality once game is located. I do use a spotter to glass likely areas that should hold deer after I’ve exhausted efforts with 12 or 15x binos, but it’s certainly not as easy, pleasant, or productive as doing it with both eyes.

I’d say the BTX even changed the locations I use for glassing points because I feel I can effectively glass huge expanses of distant terrain with a BTX that would have been far less productive with a spotter.

If you hunt big open country I’d be looking for a BTX. However, I feel the BTX pairs a lot better with the 85mm or 95mm objectives.

I would personally recommend the 85 as it’s a touch brighter due to 30x vs. 35x with the 95 giving you a bit more FOV. If you’ve gotta have more power you can pick up the 1.7x extender cheap and it’s only a few extra ounces.

The 95 and 115 are amazing but I mainly use them for short hikes and truck glass now although I have backpacked several hundred miles with BTX95 when it was all I had and I never regretted it.

Let me know if we can help!

Coop
hrrps://www.rent outdoor gear.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk