Buck Of A Lifetime!!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, all you can say is wow. Love the mass. How about some details as what ridge were you on? (Just kidding)
Details as in how long of a shot, what caliber, what bullet, etc.

Thanks!

Randy

Shrek

WKR
I'm back looking again ! I don't know what that buck will score and I don't care ! That buck has " IT ! ". They don't come any better looking or with more presence than that. Again , awsome !

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Rob & others thank you! I don't mind sharing a few details!

The caliber was a .308 with Hornady 165grn SST factory bullets! The shot was 351yds. We ranged him with the rangefinder 1000 (Vortex) about one hour after light in the morning.

We had been glassing & scouting for several days, passed on 14 different bucks hoping for a 170" class deer. The Unit is a sleeper with little attention given it because it also has a bow & rifle hunt there every year. I drew a late tag there. The deer that can be expected there are no better that 150-160 class on a general year.

My son & I were were glassing this particular morning, it was rainy/snowy/windy & cold, we were on a steep south face of a draw glassing the north face, I spotted this buck & about crapped!!! (grin) I told my son there's a 30 incher over there he looked at me & laughed!! No kidding! He glassed him & said ya he looks OK but let's get a better look at him, I then re-glassed & noticed he wasn't quite what I may have thought he was from his new angle he presented. There were 4-5 doe's just above him & he had no idea we were there at that distance. We continued to check him out for several more minutes before I told my son to pull out the spotter & check him out better! Upon putting the Razor HD on him my son looked at me & said DAD YOU NEED TO SHOOT THAT BUCK!!! I looked at him like are you serious? He just gave me a blank look, yes he was serious. We moved & got position until we were 351yds out, I shot & he dropped at the shot but it took a 2nd to put him down for good! During this episode I had not seen him in the Spotter, I figured him to be in the 170" range, at least I hoped he was!!

We made our way to the buck over an hour later, the breaks are steep guys & will kick your butt! (grin) As we walked over towards him we were taken away with his size, neither of us had a clue he would best the 200" mark but he does it pretty good! He will be measured as a Typical as he is very uniform in size & frame despite the few cool stickers! That day was Special & a real memory builder with my son, we broke down the buck & hauled him out then & there on our backs! It truly is a Buck Of A Lifetime! Thanks!

ElkNut1

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
CONGRATS!!! Man, what an amazing buck! If I could only take one more trophy animal for the rest of my life, I'd want to take a huge typical muley like that. And on a hunt with your son too? Perfect.

Congrats on the buck. That's awesome that you were with your son. I was with my old man when he shot his biggest buck ever and that is hands down my favorite hunt. I will remember that one for the rest of my life. Good stuff.