Buck Tracks

street

WKR
Originally I come from mostly a whitetail hunting background. One of the big tactics we use is studying tracks and learning how to identify buck tracks and what we can learn from them in the field.

So my questions I have are.
What are your experiences with studying the sizes of buck tracks? How big of a track do you need to see until you get excited? Maybe tracking isn't important to your tactics at all?

A lot of me preseason scouting has to do with tracking bucks and finding their bedding areas. Are these skills used frequently by any of you guys?

OP
street

street

WKR
@robby denning has you covered on this one. Pick up his book and enjoy all the insights, including use of tracking to determine if an areas is holding big deer.
Thanks, I plan to pick it up. I was really hoping to get multiple perspectives on it and try to get a good discussion going.

Like what was stated earlier Robby's book really covers it well highly recommend getting it. It's a good tatic to use especially if you want to know what's in the area, I use it frequently myself now. About half way through this clip Robby gives a good visual representation of what to look for in big buck tracks.

Last edited:
OP
street

street

WKR
Like what was stated earlier Robby's book really covers it well highly recommend getting it. It's a good tatic to use especially if you want to know what's in the area, I use it frequently myself now. About half way through this clip Robby gives a good visual representation of what to look for in big buck tracks.

Thanks for sharing that. That explanation was pretty much what I look for. I typically use my fingers to measure the width of them. And I think he's spot on with the length:width ratio being close to equal for bucks. That's what I key in on right away.