"Buckle kit" for the old MR Guide Lite frame?

zuren

FNG
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who added the "buckle kit" from Mystery Ranch to upgrade their older Guide Lite frame (pre-2020).

My hunting packs have consisted of a modified ALICE pack (with frame) and a separate day pack. The ALICE frame has never fit me well due to me being 6'2". My daypack is a Red Rock Assault pack...nothing special. Most of my hunting are day trips in the Midwest, so this setup has worked...but just okay. My thought was to:
  • sell the ALICE frame
  • sell the day pack
  • keep the ALICE pack bag
  • buy a Guide Lite frame-only ($275)
  • buy a smaller MR daypack later on (e.g., MULE).
This would get me into the MR ecosystem, give me a frame that is adjustable and should actually fit me well, give me some better load hauling, and my ALICE pack bag would be compatible.

From what I can tell, you can't get into a new Guide Lite MT frame without getting into one of the larger pack bags, that I don't need or want at this time. It isn't offered as a frame-only. So just curious to hear from anyone who has upgraded their old frame with the buckle kit, and was it worth the update.

Thanks!

That is very interesting to hear they have a buckle kit. I was not aware of that. I'll have to look into it. I was going to buy a MR pintler off blackovis for 332$ (limited color options) but was concerned about compatability with other packs down the road. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zuren

FNG
Definitely look into it, and I plan to as well. The only reason I'm asking is I saw a comment in the reviews/questions on the Mystery Ranch site indicating that this kit exists. I do not see it marketed or formally sold on the site.

Pintler and sawtooth are two small bags on the new MT frame. I bet if you hold out you could catch a sale for bag and frame for $350ish.

Guidelight frames with and without bags are being cleared out pretty cheap. Probably the best value to be had for an upgrade. The old nice frame is a hell of a frame and can be had for $100-120. It is a pound and a half heavier than the MT but it works and could mount up your ALICE pack or a cheap molle pack, ILBE or FILBE until you buy a bag.

The buckle kit you are talking about is called a “time machine”. MR repairs department sells them for $10 plus shipping. You have to call them. They are designed to make “older packs go on the newer MT frame. I am sure you could figure out how to go in the other direction too but you May have to buy more or different buckles. Rumor has it that MR is going to be adding new bag only options next year. That same rumor has been around for 3-4 years so there is that.

If I were looking for the cheapest way to upgrade into MYstery ranch, the NICE frames are $100-150 and with a pack are $200-250 and under used. If I were looking for the best value, I would catch a clearance or used guidelight with a frame and bag for under $300. As I said above, if you are willing to wait, I bet between now and season someone will have the MT frame and bag on sale for $350.

OP
Z

zuren

FNG
I'm not in a hurry, so it sounds like I might want to be patient, keep my eyes open, and have a heart-to-heart with myself on what I truly need. It looks like some dealers paired the MULE with a frame, but this appears to be the old frame/bag (not the MT or 2020 pack):

I don't think the clearance prices are happening on the old models yet. Even MR hasn't fully updated their site with pics of the MT frame on their packs, since I keep seeing hip belts without PALS webbing. An old Guide Lite frame direct from MR is $275, so I would be interested to know if there are better prices to be found, or if that is as good as I will get?

I don't see much that is very promising on Ebay...frankly, I'm confused by a few of the prices I see. Someone posted a used MR 3DAP with a removable Stick-It pocket for $700!?!?!? I can buy the same thing direct from MR for just under $400. I see nothing listed in my regional Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace worth pursuing.

To complicate my thinking a bit more, I find the MR Pop-Up 28 really interesting. I think it would satisfy 95% of my needs/wants for a utilitarian day hunting/load hauling pack, but my ALICE bag may not compatible (without some DIY MacGyvering). The 28L bag is roughly the size of my current daypack and is plenty big. It seems that some pack bags are compatible across the Guide Lite MT and Pop-Up families (e.g., appears a MULE is compatible with a Pop-Up frame) . I would have to decide if I'm ready to part ways with my mil surplus gear because most of the goal here is to have less, nicer, more versatile gear, that I use more...not have piles of gear in a closet or tote that I don't love. But again, they tweaked designs for 2020 so it seems there are pre-2020 Pop-Ups, and 2020+ Pop-Ups with feature and compatibility considerations.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited: