Bucks

Yukondog

WKR
So I've been hunting whitetails for three years. I've always hunted between the 9th and 15th of Nov. We see some awesome bucks and the movement can be great at times. We are thinking about hunting the Nov 4th - 10th next year to see if a week earlier does anything with our encounters.

What is your preferred time to be hunting whitetail. I hunt in S. Dakota so I'm sure the timing is not the same everywhere.

This year we had some great bucks on camera the first week of Nov and then disappear while we were there. That is the reason we are thinking about going out earlier next year.

Thanks,

Matt

*Who on this site is a whitetail junkie?

I prefer to hunt the the 1st week of november, but we dont always hit it head on. Last year we hunted the 1st week and it was full blown madness, this year for instance the rut seemed to be later where we hunt in Kansas. The big boys werent on their feet mid day like we have seen in the years past. My father and brother stayed another week and said it really picked up a couple days after the new moon, which was towards the second week. As you know it all depends on when the does start to stink, but i think regardless bucks will be cruising those first two weeks.

I see the most whitetail buck activity from about the 15th on. Usually anything from the 20th-25th seems to be the absolute peak.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
First or second week of Nov. Generaly the first week is better for chasing but the second week hits the peak more often. If you want to get really picky watch the weather and hunt the back side of a cold front (when the actual front moves threw and the sky clears or the following day when its clear and cold). My two best bucks came after a front. It gets the deer moving just my 2 cents seems to work here in the midwest.