Budding sheep hunter looking for help

Brockolli

FNG
Hey everyone,

I just moved to BC from Ontario. I am an avid hunter looking to maximize my new found province and chase after goat and sheep at the end of august before I have to go back to school.

Looking for any tips on anything from gear, to online scouting, elevations to hunt, ETC.

I have pretty much all the back country gear, but do not have a spotting scope or mountaineering boots (currently have Merrel MOAB).
Current gear list
- kuiu propack 7800
- kuiu mountain star 2P Tent
- jet boil & fuel
- UA down hoodie and pants
- kuiu wool t-shirt
- First lite kiln sweater
- first lite storm tight rain suit
- UA Raider pants
- trekking poles (random cheap brand)
- duck down sleeping bag 7 degrees C (mountain warehouse)
- thermarest xlite sleeping pad
- Outdoor research gaitors
- Garmin 66i inreach
- vortex diamond back binos
- inflatable pillow
- Bosch tripod
- platypus water filtration system
- petzl atika headlamp
- battery back
- ankor solar panel
- outdoor research down gloves
- mountain house meals

Currently hiking 15+km a couple times a week with my pack weighted down to prep.

slvrslngr

WKR
Of all the gear you have listed, your boots are probably the most important. If you want to hunt in August I’d buy some better boots and start wearing them now. Successful or not, post up a report of your adventures. Good luck!

The gear is nice but secondary to finding animals. Put your time into research, statistics, calling every one you can think of where to go. Then put Boots on the ground.!!

The more time you spend in sheep/goat country looking at animals the better. telling a legal ram is not easy. You will work out all your gear questions during this time as see what works and what doesn’t.

OP
B

Brockolli

FNG
Of all the gear you have listed, your boots are probably the most important. If you want to hunt in August I’d buy some better boots and start wearing them now. Successful or not, post up a report of your adventures. Good luck!
Thoughts on boots?

Thoughts on boots?
Only you can decide on boots- fit is paramount and everyone has different feet! As a general rule for mountain hunting sheep/goats stiffer is better to a point. Full blown mountaineering boots are probably a bit much, but day hikers not enough.

Try on the usual brands in their stiffer hunting or less stiff mountaineering models- Lowas Tibet’s, Crispi Birskdal SF, Scarpa, La Sportiva, zamberlan, Hanwag etc

slvrslngr

WKR
☝️ What he said. You’ll want a moderately stiff, full rand boot. I would add Schnees to the list. Fit is paramount so try on as many as you can.

idig4au

WKR
Thoughts on boots?
I agree with other comments here with boots being a significant gap In your equipment. I prefer stiff mountaineering boot as my primary hunting boot. I like the extra support for carrying weight and the stability in technical areas. As I have narrow heels, I’ve found Zamberlan 2092 or the Asolo Piolet with green superfeet insoles as good match for my feet. Equally important is finding the right sock to pair with your boots. I’ve settled on Darn Tough merino wool mid weight socks with standard cushion as they work well in terms of boot volume. Also do not forget to put Leukotape on your heels as a preventive measure!

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Where abouts in BC are you? PM if you want.

Yes get some good boots, Meindl at the bottom end or something stiffer.

Your gear list is pretty solid - much better than what I started out with. A spotting scope and tripod would be a great addition for a sheep/goat hunt.

Jimbob

WKR
Hey Brock I'm glad you made it over here. Some VERY experienced guys that really know their stuff hang out on Rokslide.

The other hole I see in your gear list is your sleeping bag. I would not head into the mountains (even in August) with a 7 C sleeping bag from Mountain Warehouse. Now you also have the Under armour down set so you could supplement with that but a good bag means a good nights rest. Two years ago we got a freak snowstorm in August with over a foot of wet heavy snow. I know one guy that was out hunting sheep solo with lightweight gear and he had to be rescued.

James from Facebook

Snyd

WKR
Some of us like Plastic Mountaineering Boots. Lowa Civettas for me. I've got several hundred miles in them in Sheep Country and not one blister.

At some point you may bump into an animal you want to kill. Suggest getting a weapon.

All kidding aside curious what you have and the others suggest if looking for a specific rifle for these types of adventures.

FNG
Really get to know your animals. Like field judging sheep, and goats is not easy if you are not familiar with them. If you have any doubt, don’t be afraid to walk away. Every hunt will give you something to build on. Steady progression and you will start to see success.

FNG
Also I don’t trust breathable rain gear. Your life could depend on it if things go for the worst. Not sure if yours is of not. Being able to stock pile some water is beneficial sometimes. Sheep country can be pretty dry in August.
100 yards is not a long ways in the mountains so practice shooting and know where your limitations are. Good luck, look forward to hearing about your wins and losses this fall.

tdot

WKR
What part of BC are you in?

Definitely get your boots sorted. I'd suggest getting in to see a decent boot fitter in your area. Buy based on fit, then features, then price.

Optics, if you're heading to school shortly, then I'd suggest trying to rent a high end spotter. Quality counts in sheep country. Invest in a mid to high end 8x bino. I'd take a higher end 8x over a mid tier 10x any day of the week.

What Bosch tripod? I have 2 different Bosch at my shop and wouldn't consider either for the mountains.

Expect nightime temps around freezing or a little below. Are you comfortable sleeping in your current setup at those temps?

How will you process the animal?

Spend some time and get your food dialed. It's the cheapest, easiest way to lose a considerable amount of weight from your pack. Good food can keep your moral and energy levels up.

Spend as much time as you can looking at pictures and watching videos. If you spot a ram, be confident that you can identify a legal vs illegal ram.

Take a camera. It's incredible the terrain you'll be heading in to.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Go find someone that sheep hunts or is looking for someone to drag along and carry stuff for them. Offer to help. Even if you aren't hunting it would be great experience to go along with someone that will show you the ropes a bit. You will learn a ton.

OP
B

Brockolli

FNG
Rifle: 30-06 Sako A7

updated additional gear
Boots: Lowa Tibet
Vortex Viper 65 spotting scope
Sirui carbon fibre travel tripod.

considering a change in sleeping bag, but have used that bag on alpine trips in the past.

for food I am going with the dehydrated meals for dinner. Oatmeal and hot chocolate for breakfast. Bars and candies for lunch and snacks.

Also, been actively learning to judge sheep and goats and learning to age properly.

OP
B

Brockolli

FNG
Where abouts in BC are you? PM if you want.

Yes get some good boots, Meindl at the bottom end or something stiffer.

Your gear list is pretty solid - much better than what I started out with. A spotting scope and tripod would be a great addition for a sheep/goat hunt.
Hey Bruce. I can’t PM apparently as I haven’t made enough posts. Lol

I’m in the Castlegar area.

tripod, scope, and boots all purchased. :cool:

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most of the posts above, get on some good boots ASAP and get them broke in. Far as brands find what fits your feet and roll with it. Crispi, Hanwag, Lowa, Kennetrek, etc. would probably recommend a leather boot, will be more waterproof and makes getting wet feet less of a worry.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m a big fan of good backpacks, boots that fit right, raingear that works and a sleep set up that lets me sleep comfortably.

Past that, most gear dosen’t matter as much to me. Hike a lot and shoot a lot, worry less about gear.