Buddy heaters?

What is a good buddy heater? I'll be most like in a 12x14 without a stove.

I was looking at the Big Buddy or Flex. Would 1 or 2 of these work? How long they last on 20lb bottle?

Also, they got a 360 tank top heater. Do these have oxygen sensors?

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
If in a wall tent I bring a couple 20# propane tank and one of these, trust me, you don't need a fan, most times have to keep it on low with only one burner lit.

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
We used 2 Little Buddy heaters during WY archery season in our 12x14 wall tent. It was overkill for most of September but we did have a couple nights that got down to 18 deg and it was still ok in the tent but not warm.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
The big buddy should be perfect for your needs. It does have the tip over sensor for so you don't have to worry about that.

OP
I love the tent stoves, but they don't last through the night with wood or coal, so at 2-3am it's freezing again. Big rocks on top of the stove help, but it can warp the top the of the stove :)

gelton

WKR
Do people in states other than MN die of CO poisoning? Man, I’d never even consider running an non-vented propane heater in a tent. Even if it doesn’t kill you, it’ll turn your tent into a sauna. Those tank top heaters are especially bad news.
It gets so warm we have to leave the window open, and a CO2 detector is cheap insurance.

HuntNTag

WKR
The big buddy with 1 propane tank is what I’ve run for years in a wall tent. Running it with 1 side on on the lowest setting will keep you really warm. Usually we feel like we’re in a sauna at night in there.

I also bring a second propane tank in case we need it but have never used it. More of insurance for us in case something rough happened with the weather or needing it for cooking.

Rock-o

WKR
My Portable Buddy kept my 10x20 cabin comfortable in 30 degree weather. No sweating, not cold. Just ok.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a Buddy Heater in a tent trailer for camping for 20 years. Turn over cutoff switch and carbon monoxide sensor built in. When real cold, a little condensation, so just crack the upper vent. Works great.

jmez

WKR
Buddy heaters don't have CO sensors built in. They have O2 sensors. I would have a separate CO monitor if using one inside or all night.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy heaters don't have CO sensors built in. They have O2 sensors. I would have a separate CO monitor if using one inside or all night.

The O2 sensor will shut it off long before

The O2 sensor on the buddy heater will shut the unit off long before CO exists. I've tested it.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Years of ice fishing have proven Buddy heaters to be far superior to tank top "sunflower" heaters.

The biggest problem with running a Buddy heater in a canvas tent all night is the moisture build up. It will be very humid inside by morning. This is the case with any unvented propane heater, but the Buddys almost seem worse because they burn so steady so long.

fmyth

WKR
Years of ice fishing have proven Buddy heaters to be far superior to tank top "sunflower" heaters.

The biggest problem with running a Buddy heater in a canvas tent all night is the moisture build up. It will be very humid inside by morning. This is the case with any unvented propane heater, but the Buddys almost seem worse because they burn so steady so long.
Last year we camped in our 12x14 wall tent and used a little buddy and a woodstove for heat during rifle season in WY. There were 4 of us so we set up a 10x14 Kodiak for our gear and wet clothes and ran a Little Buddy in it 24/7 and it did a great job drying out our gear. Maybe the air is dryer where I hunt but we have never had moisture problems running a Buddy Heater in a canvas tent. When I ran one in my synthetic Smittybuilt XL roof top tent during late rifle in Northern AZ I did have some condensation issues.

Hunter56

FNG
Buddy heaters are the best! Ive used them from tents to campershells and they make getting out of bed a lot more comfortable

RO1459

FNG
The big buddy is made to use in enclosed spaces. I've used them for years. I get 4 to 5 nights out of a 20# tank running it on low. I have a six person Instinct tent that is doubled walled. I open a vent in the top and stay toasty warm. I hunt third season in Colorado. Nights mostly 20 or lower.