Buddy heaters?

What is a good buddy heater? I'll be most like in a 12x14 without a stove.

I was looking at the Big Buddy or Flex. Would 1 or 2 of these work? How long they last on 20lb bottle?

Also, they got a 360 tank top heater. Do these have oxygen sensors?

We run a double burner on 5 gal bottle (#??? Same size on your BBQ). In our 14x16, for 10 day hunt. Run only in am to get dressed/breakfast and evening prior to bed, 30 min/ day.... lasts all season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
If you take a 20lb tank and have it filled most of the time you can get 4.7 gallons of propane in it. If you "exchange" your empty 20lb tank at a store (Blue Rhino) you'll get a tank with 3.6 gallons of propane in it. That's a big difference if you are counting on it to heat your tent.

keller

WKR
I've heard the buddy heaters dont work well over 6k feet due to low oxygen?? Anybody have issues?

I don't know 100 percent but I watched a video with a buddy heater in a cab over camper running full blast with everything sealed up tight for 4 hours and the co sensor never picked up anything. Wall tents naturally vent through the fabric so there should be zero issues.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Anybody run a propane heater in a smaller tent (MSR Hubba Hubba)?
Late elk for me will be 8k altitude and probably high teens/low 20’s at night).
Thinking of running hose from 20lb outside through one door, and leaving other cracked at top to vent moisture under fly (would this be needed as inner tent is all mesh?).

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard the buddy heaters dont work well over 6k feet due to low oxygen?? Anybody have issues?

I've used mine at 9,500 ft with no problem but at 9,800 it would only stay on for a couple minutes before the O2 sensor would shut it off.

RO1459

FNG
Thinking of running hose from 20lb outside through one door, and leaving other cracked at top to vent moisture under fly (would this be needed as inner tent is all mesh?).
Which Hubba Hubba do you have? I have the two person, three season version and I would not place a Mr. Buddy in it. Even though there is room, there isn't enough for me to use a flamed devise where my bag could touch it. You may want to try (in advance) to place the heater in the vestibule with the door open and let the heat come in that way. BTW...I love my tent and will use it hiking the Appalachian Trail next year. But without a heater. I have never used my Hubba Hubba during the third season in Colorado. I camp at 8,500 and use a true four season tent. I also use a Big Mr. Buddy to heat the tent with no problems. Best of luck with your heating issue and hunt.

I've thought about doing something like that but decided against. Seems too risky, maybe not to your health but burning up/melting/damaging good gear.

dla

WKR
If in a wall tent I bring a couple 20# propane tank and one of these, trust me, you don't need a fan, most times have to keep it on low with only one burner lit.

Do not use the tank top heater in a tent.

dla

WKR
What is a good buddy heater? I'll be most like in a 12x14 without a stove.

I was looking at the Big Buddy or Flex. Would 1 or 2 of these work? How long they last on 20lb bottle?

Also, they got a 360 tank top heater. Do these have oxygen sensors?
I've used a Mr.Buddy heater (9k btu max) in a 10x10' tent for years, running off a 20lb bottle. Lasts over a week in cold weather where I am running the heater on low all night.
I've no experience with the Big Buddy runtime.
There are two downsides :
  1. Every pound of propane will create more than à pound of water vapor.
  2. Sometimes at altitudes of around 7k', the low oxygen sensor will not let the heater light. I'd say 7000' is about the max.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Do not use the tank top heater in a tent.

Not tank top, it’s like the 4K btu buddy heaters that take 1lb tank in the unit (I’d just feed it from a 20lb tank via adapter hose).
Tent is approx 7’x4’, 3.5’ high.