Buddy panic'd day 1 on the mountain--left me a new solo hunter

I always hunt solo, because I dont have any friends that hunt like I do :(. I have to say though sometimes I am glad for that. Sometimes I wish I had a hunting partner; usually when I have to pack out an animal.

Good for you for staying.

njdoxie

WKR
Wow, enjoyed that story, glad to see you stayed....please update thread with your talks with hunting partner post hunt, specifically, how does he feel about how he behaved? I would feel 2 inches tall if I was him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md126

WKR
Definitely sounds like he underestimated what a backcountry elk hunt would be but..

Also sounds like he had serious altitude issues. 11.5k can have catastrophic effects on some people and make them behave in ways they wouldn’t normally. Lesson learned

Mike7

WKR
I think you were on to something with your suspicions regarding anxiety. So not certain that altitude had much to do with it. This same thing happens on some first trips to open sea with new Sailors right at sea level...chest pain, hyperventilation, shortness of breath, etc. I have been out for years, but my guess is that the Navy has to deal with more of this with recruits and young sailors than ever before from these kids getting raised by the everyone gets a trophy crowd. Your buddy probably never went through anything like that before like a country kid would have when they were much younger.

Outstanding. I hope I could handle myself so well in a similar situation. I really appreciate you sharing your story with us. There is a lot to be learned from it and it’s got plenty of entertainment value. Glad you stuck it out.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
My wife was incredible. When I hopped in onto the delorme to give her the low down, i just recall dreading the conversation. I even recall telling buddy, you REALLY put me in a horrible position with her! She’s going to be pissed-i’m not sure who at more.” Not one negative word from her. She said “stay as long as you want to, as long as you need to. You’ve talked about this, and you cant help this situation.” My 14-year-old told me to “SEAL up and put your game face on! Go do what you went there to do.” Hahahahaha. That was team Mule for you!

Last edited:

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Great story- thank God I have a twin brother thats tough as nails to hunt with!

Congrats on your success of sticking it out and having a great hunt.

archp625

WKR
Man, after reading your story I'm really nervous about one of my buddies next year. He always tries to half arse it on gear. He always wants to be different. Different isn't bad but he will buy a way less inferior product just to be different.

Did you ever talk to the guy again when you got back? I'm not sure how that conversation would go for me.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar experience on a walk in sheep hunt.. Not being prepared gear wise, despite numerous efforts to help, was my first warning sign. Should have stopped there, but I didn't. Ended up leaving early and cost me a chance at a stalk... Have been very careful with my choice in hunting partners ever since. Kudos for figuring out how to stay with it despite the set back.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
I made a point to give him a bro hug before he got on the horse and rode away. I came to realize that the back country isnt for everyone. There’s a romantic element that draws people into it, without the understanding of how brutal and unrelenting it can be on the weak or unprepared. I spoke to him via texting briefly after I came off the mtn and let him know what a great time I had. We work together so I’ll see him when I return. We also whitetail hunt together. Not a friendship killer at all-just a reality check that says: just because a person wants to do the challenging thing doesnt mean he can or should.

gelton

WKR
Its not always about gear. I met a guy on here that was semi local and looking for a hunting partner. The guy came out with a Hilleberg tent, decked out in FL clothing, Schnees boots, etc etc etc.

We called in a nice bull on the first evening hunt and he popped smoke on the morning of day 3 of a 14 day hunt. Said he couldnt handle the cold.

Nice guy but just not cutout for a true backcountry hunt. Thank goodness he had his own truck, or else there would have been major problems.

LightFoot

WKR
Great story, I enjoyed the read and your follow-up comments.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
Sooooo many people love the talk of the Backcountry Hunt but the Walk of a Backcountry hunt beats them down so fast they're done. Have a friend like that in our group of 4 that has never lasted to the end of an elk hunt. Feel like in today's environment with hunting media being in your face so much with social media, people mentally feel like they're hardcore guys in their minds and their nice warm beds at home when they flip through facebook and instagram. We went to AK this year for Caribou but there was "only" 3 spots open for the flight service in, too bad for him :)

Darrin

FNG
That is a great story and always something to remember when planning hunts with others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Thanks for that Mule, that was terrible and great at the same time. You learned a lot about your hunting partner, but better, a lot about your wife and your relationship/trust in these regards.

Going solo this year. My goals are same as when I hunted with a partner: return safe, have fun, get an elk. In that order. Leaving a partner would be hard, leaving solo has to be so much easier and some even talk themselves in to it no doubt. That's one of my fears beyond the more tangible stuff of hunting the mountains. My wife has been incredibly supportive of the idea of me going alone, once we had a nice dialogue about my plans, my backup plans, my emergency plans, my backup emergency plans and gear, etc. This is from a woman whose father went fishing as a kid and never came home (drown in an accident). The trust and love she has for me in allowing me to live what I feel are my dream trips gives me more warmth than I can express to her.

How did "Buddy" get home?

Last edited:
OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
No, he is not. I am, though, I wouldnt say that is a reason or a factor for the way things turned out.

big44a4

WKR
At least you drove separate. Made that mistake last year since partner said he would drive. Should have rented a car and stayed but was too frustrated it didn’t cross my mind until I got home. It was a very quiet 16hr drive home. Went solo this year and worked out much better not babysitting or coming home early.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
The getting home ordeal: the folks I called to pick him up were very accommodating. He spent the next ght with them, they took him to the nearest small airport. He hopped a flight to denver then to dallas. Took him a few days.