Budget 0 degree bags

Looking for some recommendations for budget 0 degree bags. Got some two newbies that are looking to head out with us next year. They are piecing together their kit and aren’t looking to break the bank, as we know this stuff can get really expensive.

They all have military issue gear (fellow Soldiers) that will get them by, but one of the main pieces of gear I recommended that I felt they needed to upgrade was a sleeping bag. (The MSS sucks)

Max budget seems to be around $300. Open to synthetic or down. I know wiggy’s is often a recommendation for a budget bag, but they are relatively heavy. I know for $300 we’re not going to get into the WM level of lightweight, but we do typically spike camp so weight/bulk is a consideration.

Open to pad recommendations as well but I’ve been pretty impressed with my insulated Klymit static V and it didn’t break the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Rob5589

WKR
I picked up a 0* on close out from Mountain Hardware for my daughter. Was just over 100.00 if I recall correctly. It's bulky, even when in the compression bag, so maybe not the best for packing in. MH would be worth checking out.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't get hung up on specific pieces of gear, what I do when upgrading is learn the specs I want and watch for sales. There's so many good brands out there especially with bags because you're not just limited to hunting brands. Keep an eye on sites like steep and cheap, sierra trading post, mountain Steals. They most likely have time before you guys go so you should be able to get a killer deal on something as long as you don't get hung up on the name on the tag

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
With a quality pad that has a certified r-value do they really need 0F bags? Find a EXPED, Nemo, or Thermarest witha 5.0 r-value and a 15-20F bag should work just fine for most any season. Happy to have you tell me otherwise, but you didn't mention season or location when the hunt(S) would occur

OP
B
With a quality pad that has a certified r-value do they really need 0F bags? Find a EXPED, Nemo, or Thermarest witha 5.0 r-value and a 15-20F bag should work just fine for most any season. Happy to have you tell me otherwise, but you didn't mention season or location when the hunt(S) would occur

Sorry forgot to mention this would be general season Montana. Based off my previous experience a 0 degree is advisable. Thanks!

rclouse79

WKR
I picked up a 0 degree REI down bag at an REI garage sale. It isn't the lightest, but I have yet to get cold in it. If I remember correctly I paid around $100 for it and it was in like new condition.

Lando

WKR
It's hard to get a true zero degree comfort level bag that's packable for $300. My advice would be to get a true 15 degree down bag and then add a synthetic blanket to it or a down blanket like those sold by costco to get down to zero. I've had good experience with Marmot down bags on sale for my kids.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a badlands -20 bag, and between that and a decent 4 season tent, was more than comfortable at 11k feet in 5 degree weather buried in snow.

mlgc20

WKR
Take a look at the Marmot Never Summer. I'm a quilt person now. But, I've had a few Marmot bags over the years. I've found them to be pretty conservative on temp rating. I regularly used my Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree down to 0 degrees with an Exped 7 pad and wearing my puffy. I had the Marmot Pinnacle also which is a 10 degree bag. But, it was just too hot.

Tyguy

WKR
Check out wiggy's. They have some discontinued camo patterns that are like half off right now. I just picked up a 0 degree bag for $135. Not the lightest but oh well. Made in usa too!

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Cabela’s instinct mummy bag is 0° duck down, packs down super tight, and $250.

also being military, check out expert-voice. you can get a serious hookup on big Agnes, mountain hardware, and others.

rlg5

FNG
Buckeye Rifleman, I have a 0 deg Marmot trestles Elite bag I'll make you a deal on. Not sure where you're at in Ohio but I am located in central Ohio so you could take a look at it if you're interested. I used it for a week in 18 for a trip to CO. Bad hips make me move around to much and had to switch to a quilt so its just here in storage now. I'd like to see it move on and be used. Feel free to contact me if you're interested.

Wassid82

WKR
I picked up a 0 degree REI down bag at an REI garage sale. It isn't the lightest, but I have yet to get cold in it. If I remember correctly I paid around $100 for it and it was in like new condition.
LOVE REI garagesale deals!

Mustang06

FNG
I'll put in another vote for outdoor vitals summit bag.

I used the modular military systems since they first came out. Still have it for wall tent type camping. But this past fall I was backpacking into a wilderness area in colorado rifle season and needed to lighten up significantly.

The outdoor vitals 0 degree summit was great. Packed down plenty small enough, was right at 2.5 lbs, and didn't get any drafts, zipper worked flawlessly.

Honestly, I think I could have went with a 15 degree bag and added the liner if it got chilly. Temps got down in the single digits and I was toasty.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Check out slumberjack! For the price you could get 2 and not worry about trashing one

Wife and I got a couple of the cheap 0 degree "Hike & Bike" bags. That bag kept me good in single digits in our big tent with no heater. Wife stuffed her's into another 0 degree bag and she was fine. lol... They supposedly have issues with the zippers so we've been careful with them when we use them and haven't had any problems.

Anybody got feedback on the Blackovis Chugach that are always on Camofire for a little over $100? I thought about grabbing that 20 degree version for when it's not cold enough for the 0.