Budget 15x Binos or a Budget Spotting Scope?

OP
U

uthuntr

FNG
I would highly recommend them if the damage is tolerable.
They are great glass with a great record and many good reviews.
We're all rooting for the OP to seal this deal
Only hesitation is the lens scratch and the uncertainty with used. Camera land has them for $1699 new. I’d consider going that route. Could swing another $700 if i knew i wasn’t going to be even thinking of replacing them anytime soon. And i can just keep borrowing the swaro spotter until I can pair one of my own with the binos. Might take longer going over budget but at least I’ll have better optics

Last edited:

jslove

FNG
My modest experience thus far is that low end spotters aren’t worth it. Somebody already said it so I’m seconding it. I personally would buy the best set of 12x-18x binos I could afford and put a magview on them. Then add my phone with optical zoom and get better clarity than the cheap spotter and only have to carry one optic if I’m willing to be dedicated to higher magnification binos.

Mavens?

I got a pair of Maven B5's that are amazing from a tripod. Buy those with confidence.

HOWEVER

I picked up a pair of Sig Zulu 6HDs in 16X, image stabilizing. Not as clear as the Maven's but still good, and zero need for a tripod. Run and gun, easier to toss up and glass than my 10's.

$800 for those and I'll be fighting my son for them. So much easier than setting up to glass from a tripod or trying to get steady by leaning on something. Seriously contemplating picking up a second set so my son and I don't have to share.

jslove

FNG
I got a pair of Maven B5's that are amazing from a tripod. Buy those with confidence.

HOWEVER

I picked up a pair of Sig Zulu 6HDs in 16X, image stabilizing. Not as clear as the Maven's but still good, and zero need for a tripod. Run and gun, easier to toss up and glass than my 10's.

$800 for those and I'll be fighting my son for them. So much easier than setting up to glass from a tripod or trying to get steady by leaning on something. Seriously contemplating picking up a second set so my son and I don't have to share.
Do you find either of thiose sets to be annoyingly heavy or cumbersome in a chest pack? That’d be my biggest concern, but I’ve only done 10x42s so I’m just guessing.

15's are going to be large and heavy. Probably too heavy for a chest rig daily driver.

The Sigs are super light though. The shape is a bit odd, but they're featherweight somehow. No doubt the best option for kiddos.

LuvDog

FNG
The Ares Spotter is actually a good initial setup. I had one and it was very clear for what it cost.

That said, binos are probably better for long sessions and scanning versus a spotter

WCB

WKR
Go with the better bino....Unless you are counting down to the inch or growth ring imo it is not worth it going spendy on a spotter before binos.

IMO Meopta is or has been the best bridge between "low end" and "high end". I wouldn't spend a dime on Vortex anything let alone one of their "high end" options.

For my hunting style I would go top tier nocs. Hold off on spotter until you can get the one you want. A marginal spotter can be very disappointing. I use my nocs way more than I use my spotter. SLCs, ELs, NLs would be my rec. I have SLCs which to this day I think is great glass even when I compare them to my NLs. SLCs show up used on RS every now and then.

I have a Swaro ATS 80. I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I have considered selling it on occasion. I had a 11-33x50 Razor and I already sold that. If I could do it again, I would really look at the Swaro 65 mm with a 25-50x eyepiece. I have thought of buying that eyepiece for my 80 mm.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I may have missed it but what type of hunting are you planning on doing? I think that is a relevant part of the discussion. I have 10x SLCs in a chest rig and 15x SLCs in my pack for use on a tripod. I've never felt like I needed a spotter for elk but I'm also not a trophy hunter. However, if you are planning on an early season mule deer at high elevation then I see the value in a spotter. Although, my 15x find plenty of critters :)

I'm a buy once, cry once type of guy and I'd focus on making one purchase (spotter if high elevation mulie or 15x for elk) and put the rest of the budget towards the other item even if it means that purchase may not be for another year. A sub-par spotter is not the right move IMO. You also need a high quality tripod for a big spotter which you may need to budget for as well.

Also, you didn't mention your 10x binos.... are you satisfied there? Those are the most used binos and I believe those should be high quality.

I’d just buy SLC 15’s and no spotter and not cheap out on anything. Spend the $$ you’d waste on a cheap spotter on something more meaningful like ammo and range time.

TrackerG

FNG
Buy the best 15s you can. You’ll use them wayyyy more than a spotter. Then save up for a good spotter

when it comes to optics you only go one way - more expensive and better quality.
By the time you bought those cheapies, then upgrade to a middle model, then lower tier quality, then top tier - you just wasted money - save it and wait till you can buy some top tier glass … no difference between cheap because cheap is cheap .

Pdzoller

WKR
I got a first generation Razor for $750 at Sportsmans several years ago. It works but definitely left me wishing I would have waited and saved. It has great clarity during mid day and up to about 30x but it doesn’t like low light or shadows.

Get some 15’s and save up for the best spotter you can.

ElPollo

WKR
The Maven C3 and C4 series punch above their weight for budget binos. I got a pair of C3 12x50s as work binos several years back. They are significantly brighter, have better color and clarity, and have way less edge distortion than the mid-grade Vortex binos. The C4 15x56 and 18x56 models run $550 and $575 when not on sale.

Feeegs88

FNG
Currently looking to pick up some new optics for this next hunting season. I'm a repeat borrower of swarovski glass but hate arranging and worrying about it. Only have 10x binos at the moment. I've got about $1,000 and possibly more to put into either a spotting scope or some binos for sitting down and glassing.

Obviously 15x's are a lot easier to sit behind for longer periods but don't see as many good sub $1,000 options in for binos as I do spotters. Been eyeing an Athlon Ares and feel it's better bang for the buck than similar priced 15x binos. So maybe get that first to run with 10x's off a tripod? I'm going to end up with a spotter and 15x's either way at some point but feel like going more expensive on the binos in a few years might be the better choice? One day I'd love to be scrolling Kowa Meopta and Swaro's websites for both but not quite there right now. For the next few years I'm going to have to pick to sacrifice a little bit on one or the other. Open to other optics suggestions or critiques of my thought process

My optics if I go cheap spotter would be
Athlon Ares 20-60x85
Swaro SLC 15x56

And flipped would look like
Swaro ATS 20-60x85
*Insert sub $1,000 15x56 binos here*
Buy once cry once! You get what you pay for!

Felton

WKR

Cabelas Meopta for $1k. They are suppose to be real close of not the same glass as the meostar.

I don’t have any experience with the cables euros, nor do I know the seller.

I vote start with top tier binos then get top tier spotter. Some guys say those Meopta are the best 15 bino so I’d buy them with the intention of keeping them possibly for ever. Either get these cables or spend the extra and get the meostar from camera land. As far as spotters are concerned I just picked up a Kowa 883 for $1800. If you look and are patient there are deals on spotters too. Buy once cry once.