Budget 1x1 guided moose

mcfd45

FNG
Thinking about maybe doing a moose hunt in he future. I live near Detroit and was thinking either Quebec or Newfoundland (or anywhere else that is suggested)
The problem is that I don’t have anyone that would want to go with me (2 hunters are required per bull in Quebec)
I have seen some outfitters off single hunter plans (I assume they have someone on standby To make everything legal)
Anyone have any advice or recomendations? Looking to get into some moose, size doesn’t matter to me. Just want to shoot an ok bull

Trial153

WKR
Stay clear of Quebec, I am sure there are few good Outfitters however there many shooty ones as well. NL you have way better options.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
anything budget related to hunting a moose is a contradiction in terms. Logic from AK perspective is stay clear of a plan marketed as budget or low cost. Just sayin. If still unconvinced, ask that guide for two separate unsuccessful client/groups in the past two years. Be skeptical and vet the outfit. Even budget for a moose ain't exactly low rent.

OP
M

mcfd45

FNG
anything budget related to hunting a moose is a contradiction in terms. Logic from AK perspective is stay clear of a plan marketed as budget or low cost. Just sayin. If still unconvinced, ask that guide for two separate unsuccessful client/groups in the past two years. Be skeptical and vet the outfit. Even budget for a moose ain't exactly low rent.
Yes. I was thinking that since I didn’t demand a trophy bull that I would Be able to find a guide with a more budget friendly rate. Not looking for a massive bull.

OP
M

mcfd45

FNG
And honestly, when you compare it to a guided elk hunt, it’s comparable if not less.

So many outfitters in NL. Find one with tags they can't sell as the season gets closer. Leave your name as a cancellation hunter.

Tjwjr89

FNG
After my recent hunt I would give a thumbs up to a remote fly in hunt with Effords hunting adventures in Newfoundland. I have nothing bad to say about the hunt, guides, our outfitter. We were 1 on 1 with our guides.

OP
M

mcfd45

FNG
After my recent hunt I would give a thumbs up to a remote fly in hunt with Effords hunting adventures in Newfoundland. I have nothing bad to say about the hunt, guides, our outfitter. We were 1 on 1 with our guides.
Thanks. Did you get a moose? Was it decent sized or a spike?

Tjwjr89

FNG
Thanks. Did you get a moose? Was it decent sized or a spike?

42" bull. We went 4 for 4 on bulls. It was not an easy hunt by any means. We hunted hard and covered some ground but it was well worth it. We some some other stud bulls that just didn't play out.

Attachments

• KIMG1266.JPG
    KIMG1266.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 66
  • KIMG1326.JPG
    KIMG1326.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 67
  • KIMG1331.JPG
    KIMG1331.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 73
  • KIMG1322.JPG
    KIMG1322.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG1341.JPG
    KIMG1341.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 70
Check out northern Ontario. There’s some pretty decently priced outfits up that way. From Detroit you could drive and be in it, 5-6k

PA Hunter

WKR
Go to Newfoundland I go every other year, you can find outfitters that only do 1x1 that’s all mine does. My camp takes up to 6 hunters if camp isn’t full you can book by yourself.

Don’t expect an Alaskan size moose in Newfoundland but you can have a great time and get a respectable animal. That is your best chance at a reasonable price.

PA Hunter

WKR
Go to Newfoundland I go every other year, you can find outfitters that only do 1x1 that’s all mine does. My camp takes up to 6 hunters if camp isn’t full you can book by yourself.

Don’t expect an Alaskan size moose in Newfoundland but you can have a great time and get a respectable animal. That is your best chance at a reasonable price.
Also don’t let an outfitter talk you into what week is left to choose, I will only go first week in October learned my lesson the hard way.

Jimss

WKR
Don't forget to add the cost of travel, license fees, guide tip....it all adds up.

Forget budget. I just got the NL butcher bill. $680.
My Elk butcher was about $250. Can't imagine why Moose is more than double.
Newfoundland only has 2 butchers … I think.. so you're kinda stuck.