Budget beginner Binos

So finally got my oldest,15, kid into hunting, sorta of, but that's another topic for another time. We got a deer hunt in unit 1(AZ) 3rd week of October. I am wanting to get him a cheaper pair of 10s that are reasonable enough to use and actually see things but not to worried about high end quality or clarity. What's your thoughts or suggestions? Vortex comes to mind because, well...…... the warranty if he breaks them. But I am not saying it has to be those, just an idea. Warranty doesn't matter either if he leaves them on a rock and walks away, which could happen. He is a late bloomer and still has his head up his a#@$ most of the time like most teenagers do. So with all that said, what have some of you done?

Matt G.

WKR
Leupold and gpo have similar warranties as well. What's the budget?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
I’d look for a used pair of vortex vipers. They’re a solid bino with decent glass that can be found cheap second hand. The quality of glass is good enough where it’s not like looking through a pair of coke bottles but not to high end.

C.payne

WKR
Nikon Monarchs are worth a look. I had Vortex Vipers and my Dad bought the Monarchs for almost half the price. The glass was better in every way. Only thing is it’s hard to beat that Vortex warranty.

OP
BeardownAZ
I am actually selling a pair of 10x42 Vortex Vipers. No way he is getting those even at used price, $100 price range is more like it. Until he proves (1) he is into it and (2) that he is responsible enough to take care of things. I am not the type of person to buy my kid a new 4x4 truck or jeep so they can be cool once they start driving. Not saying the Vipers are that kind of comparison, but my point is, is he has to work his way up to the nicer things, not just be given them right out of the gate. Once he gets the grasp of what is going on and develops a desire to hunt on his own, I will help him move up. I appreciate the suggestions either way

skierhs

WKR
I am actually selling a pair of 10x42 Vortex Vipers. No way he is getting those even at used price, $100 price range is more like it. Until he proves (1) he is into it and (2) that he is responsible enough to take care of things. I am not the type of person to buy my kid a new 4x4 truck or jeep so they can be cool once they start driving. Not saying the Vipers are that kind of comparison, but my point is, is he has to work his way up to the nicer things, not just be given them right out of the gate. Once he gets the grasp of what is going on and develops a desire to hunt on his own, I will help him move up. I appreciate the suggestions either way
Fair, wasn’t sure what price range you were even looking at.

OP
BeardownAZ
"Fair, wasn’t sure what price range you were even looking at."

Like I said, I appreciate the suggestion. He just isn't ready for even that nice yet. They are good binos for the price IMO. And I didn't suggest price range either, so that probably would of helped, lol

mdkelley

FNG
Well, it sounds like a great opportunity to me. Since it is for the kid, the wife should support it - hand your current binoc down to him and buy yourself some top end glass! That would be my first approach anyway. If the wife doesn't go for that, others here have made some great suggestions - especially the used route. Can get quite a bit for your money that way.

Also, ask your friends, family and guys at work if they have any old binocs they are not using laying around. I gave a nice set of nikon 10x compact with case to one of my hunting partners for his son to use since I hadn't used them in years.