Budget Elk Pack

BronkoRob

FNG
They take some adjusting, and they are far from perfect. But, they’ll comfortably carry 35 pounds of gear. A pack out won’t be fun, but 98% of new hunters won’t get the chance to do that anyway.

They have enough straps to attach bows, guns, or whatever. You dan ditch the divider, radio pouch, rubber zipper pulls, and lid and lighten them by about 2 pounds. If you cut off the hypalon (spelling) and mortar sleeves, you can get another half pound or so off of them, and end up with a ~6lb heavy duty pack.

Another vote for ILBE as budget pack. I used one while in the military, 2005-2011, and carried some stupid/ridiculous loads and only saw 1 ever break. Ive got confidence in the pack and its ability to carry and survive.

Flash forward a few years and Ive been using one for the last 3 years for multi day trips. As mentioned above you can lighten in a bit, there are plenty of straps to accommodate just about anything. Only thing that is a MUST if you go with this option is ditch the belt, on whatever gen ILBE you might be looking at. I think the Kifaru duplex belt fits, I went with the Hill People Gear Prairie belt and it totally changed how the pack rides. HUGE improvement, worth every penny!

That being said, I think this will be my last year with it as I can probably justify the expense for a new pack. Up to now though, I dealt with a cheaper pack without a meat shelf, was a few pound heavier, required some modifications, etc, but this allowed me to spend money elsewhere. Better boots, sleeping system, etc and make sure I had everything else covered as best I could.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I have used an Arcteryx Bora 80 for a couple trips because I needed a pack that didn’t break the bank. This pack Is supposed to be identical to an ILBE but it’s a little lighter. It’s pretty highly recommend for a budget non hunting brand pack and it’s a well designed pack and really comfy and adjustable. It is a good pack and carries an average load of 40 lbs very nice. I have packed out an elk quarter with it, and it wasn’t fun but carrying 80lbs is never going to be easy. You’re not going to haul as much as a MR or other high end pack but it’s a great pack for those that want to buy tags or gas and not gear. I got mine for $50.
I am considering the Bora 80 as I have heard good things about it. Been searching Ebay and elsewhere, but can only find them in Black/Blue colors.

Is there a good camo (or at least earthtone) cover to help me not stand out like a sore thumb in the woods?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk