Budget Elk Pack

Dollar for dollar it’s hard to beat the performance of the Horn Hunter Full Curl…..but…..I wish I’d taken the seasoned advice and bought my Kifaru first. Would’ve saved me untold amounts of money and back pain only to realize the mistake I made in waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG

hflier

WKR
You will spend far more once you realize you wasted your money on a cheap pack.

Just get used to the idea and get $450+ together and watch the classifieds. Once you spend $200 several times, you will say damn, why didn't I just start here. Good packs are expensive for a reason and cheap packs are cheap for a reason.

Geewhiz

WKR
Really? The bag that comes with it looks decent also. What specifically makes this better for hauling a heavy load vs. your MR Metcalf?
I'm talking real big heavy loads as in multiple quarters plus some gear.

-Shear size for one. I don't think I could fit more than one bone in hind quarter on a metcalf, especially if you have any other gear with you.

-I also prefer the rigidity of the frame when under real heavy loads.

-Its got an actual meat shelf with a fold out aluminum shelf.

Downsides is that it would suck to hunt in (because of the size) and it tends to be noisier than more "modern" frame packs.

If you've got 20 or 30 lbs in it then I would go metcalf all day, by far more comfortable and definitely nicer to hunt in.

I know I'm bucking the trends here but if you want all your friends to think you're cool, then for sure spend 700 on an exo in the hippest new pattern. If you want something that will legitimately get the job done and still have some dollars left over I would recommend something like that.

Of course, this is nothing more than my oppinion.

Last edited:
OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
You will spend far more once you realize you wasted your money on a cheap pack.

Just get used to the idea and get $450+ together and watch the classifieds. Once you spend $200 several times, you will say damn, why didn't I just start here. Good packs are expensive for a reason and cheap packs are cheap for a reason.
Decided to up my budget and be on the lookout for a good used pack. Then I stumbled upon Mountain Archery who is having a MR sale. I was able to get a MR Metcalf for $379 shipped no tax (I had a $20 coupon). Even though it’s more than I wanted to spend I think I’ll be happy with this purchase.
I'm talking real big heavy loads as in multiple quarters plus some gear.

-Shear size for one. I don't think I could fit more than one bone in hind quarter on a metcalf, especially if you have any other gear with you.

-I also prefer the rigidity of the frame when under real heavy loads.

-Its got an actual meat shelf with a fold out aluminum shelf.

Downsides is that it would suck to hunt in (because of the size) and it tends to be noisier than more "modern" frame packs.

If you've got 20 or 30 lbs in it then I would go metcalf all day, by far more comfortable and definitely nicer to hunt in.

I know I'm bucking the trends here but if you want all your friends to think you're cool, then for sure spend 700 on an exo in the hippest new pattern. If you want something that will legitimately get the job done and still have some dollars left over I would recommend something like that.

Of course, this is nothing more than my oppinion.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your opinion. As I said above I ended up spending more than I wanted but got a MR Metcalf. Hopefully it will work out good for me.

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Decided to up my budget and be on the lookout for a good used pack. Then I stumbled upon Mountain Archery who is having a MR sale. I was able to get a MR Metcalf for $379 shipped no tax (I had a $20 coupon). Even though it’s more than I wanted to spend I think I’ll be happy with this purchase.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your opinion. As I said above I ended up spending more than I wanted but got a MR Metcalf. Hopefully it will work out good for me.

I looked really hard at the MR metcalf, I think you will like it. They seem to make good bags. I watched a lot of reviews of them.

I ended up getting a Kifaru because I was looking for something with a load shelf for whitetail hunting at home in Missouri, but will also be able to just swap bags and use the same frame for when I get out west eventually.

Horn hunter Full Curl gets my vote. Look around and you can get them for under $300. I packed a few elk with one, it is heavy but legit!
i agree... they aren't refined, they are heavy and bulky, but for the money, they are a legit load hauler... they handle weight really well. i'm sure they could be found used but in good shape pretty cheap, order a few spare buckles and you have a pack that won't hold you back

I have bought a KUIU from the classifieds here for less than 250 and also a MR Terraframe. Keep an eye out for one of those. They are not a hunting pack from MR but use the same frame. Great packs for the money.

Another vote for horn hunter full curl. I’ve carried a legitimate 100 pound load with that pack. Gear, rifle, elk hind, elk front, head and rack.
i have packed out half of a roosevelt bull on at least 4 occasions with the full curl.... i still keep mine around, if i kill a bear or lion close to home, i'll run home and grab it to keep the funk off of my EXO or kifaru... it hauls a heavy load about as good as any pack... they are just clunky and not refined, but mine is worth more to me as a dedicated meat hauler than i could get for it used.... i like it for that, i just don't like wearing it all season when there are other packs that are much more comfortable to hunt in

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded to a MR GLMT with Selway and Mule bags for this year.

Before this, I hunted for the last 8 years with a Cabelas Alaskan. 4 backpack goat hunts, one backpack griz hunt, several elk and blackbear hunts. If you are on a tight budget and need serious meat hauling capability, I'd be going for one of the many one old school external frame packs.

Shraedus

FNG
Some companies offer financing/payment plans. For example Kuiu. You'd be able to have the pack without a huge hit to the wallet all at once. Just something to consider.

onebuck

FNG
I have used an Arcteryx Bora 80 for a couple trips because I needed a pack that didn’t break the bank. This pack Is supposed to be identical to an ILBE but it’s a little lighter. It’s pretty highly recommend for a budget non hunting brand pack and it’s a well designed pack and really comfy and adjustable. It is a good pack and carries an average load of 40 lbs very nice. I have packed out an elk quarter with it, and it wasn’t fun but carrying 80lbs is never going to be easy. You’re not going to haul as much as a MR or other high end pack but it’s a great pack for those that want to buy tags or gas and not gear. I got mine for $50.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Slumberjack Bounty 2 since 2017. I didn't have Kifaru money at the time but needed a decent pack for elk hutning. I paid well under $300 for it at the time and have spent a lot of time with that thing on my back. It really is a very well made pack for the money and it's pretty comfortable. I haven't hauled meat with it yet but I'm very confident it would be just fine.

You won't regret your decision. Plus, you got a good deal.

In the same boat as TheNorris in regads to first elk hunt this year during 3rd rifle and not wanting to spend a ton of money. However, I am only needing a day pack and not a pack for 2-3 days. Also do not need to use it to haul any meat out. With that in mind, should I still look at an external frame pack? What packs would you recommend for use as a day pack only? I am definitely open to buying used to get something nicer but still in my budget. Thanks.

Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. Great little day pack, that just happens to have meat hauling capabilities. I have one going on it's 5th season. They're built tough. They can be had for a little over $200 when you catch a sale, or under $200 used.

If you think you want something a bit larger, but still a good day pack, look at the Pintler or Sawtooth 45 on the Guide Light MT frame, which will allow you to switch out bags as your needs change.