Budget floored tent for tall person

AggKat

FNG
I have my first backpacking Bear hunting trip planned in August. I think I have read every review about every tent and tarp they make and still not sure what to get. I live Texas and want to use it here so floor is necessary as I don't want to bed up with a cotton mouth. I am 6'3". Other tents I have my feet and head touch the end. I am having to buy a lot of gear as this is my first trip so price is definitely an issue. Want to say under say $350. At most I will be using it one trip a year in the future. This trip will be 5 day hike so weight is an issue. Not sure what weight is to heavy. Volume is not an issue as I bought the kuiu 7800 couple weeks ago on sale knowing it was big, but not having all the ultralite and compact equipment volume might be an issue and for $10 and 3 oz was worth it. I never used a trekking pole tarp setup so unsure how it holds up in wind and set up. Not sure if freestanding or treeline pole setup would be better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
Alps Mountaineering tents are usually longer. I like their Extreme 2 for four season use - I'm 6'2" and fit fine. In general, they're cheaper but heavier than average.

Superdoo

WKR
Get on the list for one of these.

You could also look at the Seek Outside Silex with a mesh inner/ bug bivy. That would push you to your limit though.

I'm 6"2" and have the silex. Plenty of room.

OP
A

AggKat

FNG
Get on the list for one of these.

You could also look at the Seek Outside Silex with a mesh inner/ bug bivy. That would push you to your limit though.

I'm 6"2" and have the silex. Plenty of room.
Looks like they want be in stock before my trip

OP
A

AggKat

FNG
So I had decided on the REI 1/2 Dome SL+ due to reviews and price. It appears they are out of stock and not sure when will be back in stock. Option 2 was MSR Hubba Hubba and it is on sale on Amazon for $379. Any others I should look at? It was looking at the Meir Lanshan 2p. I gets good reviews for a Chinese knock off for $169, but I think with the sloped sides it will be short for me. I like idea of trekker pole tents but the way the sides have large angles it appears even a larger footprint still yield less length.

I’m 6’ and these are extremely roomy for me. I don’t think length would be an issue with 3 extra inches, but if it was, you’d have room to sleep a bit on an angle.

These tents are well made and punch WAY above their price.

You could also buy a tarp like a Warbonnet Ground Tarp and then get an Enlightened Equipment Recon or Borah Bug bivy to keep the creepy crawlers away while sleeping. That gives you tons of interior room for very little weight.

OP
A

AggKat

FNG

I’m 6’ and these are extremely roomy for me. I don’t think length would be an issue with 3 extra inches, but if it was, you’d have room to sleep a bit on an angle.

These tents are well made and punch WAY above their price.
I had read that review earlier. He mentioned that his feet touched the end, but he never mentioned his height. It looks like a reasonably priced light weght option. I never used anything but a freestanding tent. How do they stand up to wind?

OP
A

AggKat

FNG
You could also buy a tarp like a Warbonnet Ground Tarp and then get an Enlightened Equipment Recon or Borah Bug bivy to keep the creepy crawlers away while sleeping. That gives you tons of interior room for very little weight.
I will look into these options. I have been looking at the warbonnet because I was at first wanting to do a hammock setup, but then got worried about not finding trees

I had read that review earlier. He mentioned that his feet touched the end, but he never mentioned his height. It looks like a reasonably priced light weght option. I never used anything but a freestanding tent. How do they stand up to wind?

I have the original Lanshan 2, not the PRO. The dimensions may be slightly different because I had tons of room. And even if your feet touched anything, it was just the inner tent mesh.

The Warbonnet Ground Tarp will have literally multiple meet of extra room. It’s a palace in there.

I have not had either of these tents in sustained strong winds so I cannot personally comment on that. The 3F tent is pretty popular and has many reviews from folks that have road out storms in it. The GT is less popular to I can’t find much about it, but given its design, I wouldn’t anticipate any issues.

KyBeamBum

FNG
I am 6'6" and have been looking heavy at the Six Moons Designs " Lunar" models. Both the lunar solo and lunar duo are 90 inches long. These seem like a good floor option but still considering something floorless tho just for weight savings.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am 6'6" and have been looking heavy at the Six Moons Designs " Lunar" models. Both the lunar solo and lunar duo are 90 inches long. These seem like a good floor option but still considering something floorless tho just for weight savings.
At 6'6" you should look at the LightHeart Gear SoLong 6. It's 100in long inside. Made to fit 7ft people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm 6'6" and I like my space. I had the BA Copper Spur UL2, UL3, and UL4. I sold the UL2 because it was too "coffin" like for me. Then I sold the UL3 because the UL4 works so well for two people, and I'll just accept the weight penalty when I use it solo. But the one thing I realized with bathtub floors is that you need to subtract 6" from all of their floor measurements to get an accurate measurement of what the "actual" will be. You may be able to find a used one of these within your budget.

Moserkr

WKR
An option thats durable and well within your budget is kelty. Ive had one for 15 years that is still bulletproof after lots of abuse. It wont be ultralight but they make average light tents. I keep it as a spare for friends now or short hikes when I want a floor and space, but i also have a half dozen tents lol. If you only use it for backpacking a few times a year Id eat the weight penalty and save a hundred or so. Or plan on forking out more money if you want ultralight and durable. Classic gear triangle...

The gear triangle has 3 points. Inexpensive, lightweight and durable. The problem with gear is you can really only (in general) get two of the three points. If it is inexpensive and light, it won’t be durable (think frogg toggs). If it is durable and inexpensive, it won’t be light (think Jansport backpacks). If it is durable and lightweight, it isn’t going to be cheap (think ZPacks or HMG). (Not written by me)

I also would recommend the six moons lunar solo tent. It compresses to the size of a softball and you can use a tripod as the pole.