Budget/free map printing options?

COOPDUCK

FNG
I’m doing a hunt in a few weeks into a new area. I’ve got smartphone with onX, and an older gps I mark simple waypoints on for truck, camp etc...

I’d like to bring a compass and map for backup to these methods. I’m just not sure the best method anymore for buying maps or printing out maps for area I’m going to be hunting. It is in southwest Idaho, with parts of National Forest, wilderness areas, and state land. Anybody have any quick and dirty tips for having a decent topo map specific to the area I am hunting?

1:24,000 scale topo maps can be downloaded for free as PDFs from the USGS website. You could then print them at home or have a local print shop do it for you. Clear packing tape can be used as makeshift laminating material to make the paper more durable/water-resistant.

OP
C

COOPDUCK

FNG
1:24,000 scale topo maps can be downloaded for free as PDFs from the USGS website. You could then print them at home or have a local print shop do it for you. Clear packing tape can be used as makeshift laminating material to make the paper more durable/water-resistant.

Perfect exactly what I needed, thanks.

Warmsy

WKR
Caltopo(.com?)

You can create custom maps with layers of your choice, and print them with a scale. I use it all the time... my local outdoor stores rarely have the areas I want to go to. It's free. I think you can pay for advanced features. You can share the maps with friends, too.

Drenalin

WKR
I but USGS quads at a local blueprint shop for $8 each. I mark the heck out of them and just replace when they get too worn or too marked up to ready any more. Lot of hiking and outdoor stores carry quads as well.

Vegas03A3

FNG
I haven't figured out the full functionality yet, but the USGS website seems to have a tool that lets you customize your own 7.5-minute map. Looks like you can specify what kinds of layers, what area to frame, etc.

Has anyone else played with the USGS custom map tool?