Budget friendly bait barrels

Hey guys, this is my second year baiting. Last year I built cribs and baited with hotdog buns and while they worked alright this year I’m switching to popping my own pop corn and would like to build some budget friendly barrels. I see a lot of welded up barrels with chains around the feed hole and things like that. I was hoping to see some more simple setup that get the job done. Just picked up 2 steel barrels for $20 and would like some ideas on how you would rig them up. I have a sawzall and drill to cut and attach hardware. I figured others would benefit from some budget barrel rig ideas as well. I’ll post pictures of mine as I put them together and if you want to share pictures of what works for you that’d be sweet.

Pretty simple- if you only bait black bears the drill two holes run a chain or cable around a tre

drill a small 1-2” hole at the bottom for popcorn.

I assume the lid comes off to refill
(This one is double cabled and has some 2x4 in it because brown bears are a bit rougher on barrels 😄)

3470F599-0017-49BE-84DD-835FA7230DFD.jpeg

OP
Timberline001
Pretty simple- if you only bait black bears the drill two holes run a chain or cable around a tre

(This one is double cabled and has some 2x4 in it because brown bears are a bit rougher on barrels 😄)

View attachment 276474
Yeah only black bears here in Idaho. That makes sense

OP
Timberline001

View attachment 276474
My barrel has press fit lid though so I’m worried about going back on after the barrel gets roughed up.

Black bears won’t rough it up. Put the mounting hole below the lid at least a few inches or more, then run a small block of 2x4 spacer to keep the lid off the trunk of the tree, makes it easier to put on and off. Generally use dog food but popcorn is lighter if packing far

OP
Timberline001
Black bears won’t rough it up. Put the mounting hole below the lid at least a few inches or more, then run a small block of 2x4 spacer to keep the lid off the trunk of the tree, makes it easier to put on and off. Generally use dog food but popcorn is lighter if packing far
Cool, these are the kinds of tips I was looking for

Last barrel we used we cut holes in both ends and ran the chain length ways through it and suspended it from two trees and cut a 3x3 square hole in one side so the bear has to spin the barrel to get some bait out and with the chain holes cut off center the hole the bait comes out of returns to the top so it doesn't just dump all out. Also had a friend take old coffee cans drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom and he filled them with hard candy's so everything it rained the candy residue would drip on the ground.

OP
Timberline001
Last barrel we used we cut holes in both ends and ran the chain length ways through it and suspended it from two trees and cut a 3x3 square hole in one side so the bear has to spin the barrel to get some bait out and with the chain holes cut off center the hole the bait comes out of returns to the top so it doesn't just dump all out. Also had a friend take old coffee cans drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom and he filled them with hard candy's so everything it rained the candy residue would drip on the ground.
Gotcha. I’m sure that keeps them busy in front of your for awhile

Pretty much what was said above. I'd put one, and only one small hole in the barrel. Chain it up, let them roll it round. I'm convinced bears would rather work for their food than lay down and just eat.

Get a 3" hole saw punch a hole in the middle of the barrel..you can go bigger than 3" but they will just empty it faster. 3" is about perfect to keep interested just enough...then drill a 1" hole at the bottom above the ring and corresponding hole thru the bottom..this is for your cable or chain. I like just one attachment to the tree. That way they can flip it over roll it round and stick there arm down in there. Find a local bakery they are always willing to sell out of date goods cheap if you want something lighter to pack in chocolate chips work well.YMMV

OP
Timberline001
Get a 3" hole saw punch a hole in the middle of the barrel..you can go bigger than 3" but they will just empty it faster. 3" is about perfect to keep interested just enough...then drill a 1" hole at the bottom above the ring and corresponding hole thru the bottom..this is for your cable or chain. I like just one attachment to the tree. That way they can flip it over roll it round and stick there arm down in there. Find a local bakery they are always willing to sell out of date goods cheap if you want something lighter to pack in chocolate chips work well.YMMV
I’ll be popping popcorn. Way too many bear hunters around here to ever get expired goods from the bakeries.