Budget Friendly rain gear

Smid

WKR
I’m a huge believer in but once cry once, but since this will be the first year I’ve ever hunted I have quite a list of stuff I need to get.
Rain Gear is the top of my list. Not sure if there is a budget option under $100 that’s pretty decent or should I really step the range up? Will hopefully be whitetail hunting in Ohio, and have a hog hunt planned in georgia for February. Any input appreciated

If you are patient you can get the military PCU goretex rain gear from Patagonia (gray) or Beyond Clothing (brown) on EBay for around $100. Just search PCU level 6 or PCU goretex on EBay.

Napperm4

WKR
I’m not sure about the weather in those seasons / parts but I’m guessing it’s nothing too torrential in terms of rain.

Are you looking for a full hard shell to keep you dry in a few days of rain or for brush busting?

If you’re just looking for something to keep you dry for the odd shower.

Patagonia Torrentshell
Marmot Precip (discontinued but available on some discount sites)
OR helium II

The cabelas space rain isn’t too bad for the price point either. I still use the pants with my Kuiu tops. The jacket was great in showers but didn’t have all the fancy features I wanted.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions so far

Napperm4 mostly for sitting in a stand in the event it rains all day. I don’t think I’d be brush busting in it, although it would be nice to have the option or just be somewhat durable. I’ve had countless frog toggs for work and it seems like just the right snag and it rips a huge hole

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider

Napperm4 mostly for sitting in a stand in the event it rains all day. I don’t think I’d be brush busting in it, although it would be nice to have the option or just be somewhat durable. I’ve had countless frog toggs for work and it seems like just the right snag and it rips a huge hole
+1
f.png

Napperm4

WKR

No need to go too crazy if you’re not hiking more than stand sitting.

I’d get something in a solid earth tone off the REI clearances. I find pitzips in a rain jacket invaluable as I’ll sweat one out before I get rain wet whether I’m sitting or hauling ass. Something with a breathable liner helps too. Pertex or goretex have nothing been good for me.

The higher end FL/Sitka/Kuiu are pretty overkill for a day in the rain in a stand in my opinion. They’re just as waterproof as others but more durable and full featured for hiking around all day in the rain through bush.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I’ll keep an eye out at REI thank you.
I haven’t made it to one of their garage sales yet but I need too

TBHasler

WKR
Check the REI site now for big discounts still available. They had their stratosphere rain jacket marked 50-60% off last week. It’s a solid piece and comes in solid green/brown as well as others if that’s what you want.
I’ve got a space rain jacket in Lrg I’ve been looking to unload, but if you’re looking to bust brush I don’t think it’s sturdy enough to stand up.

Cody_W

WKR
You can get the cabelas branded goretex for ~$200 for the set. I use the coat for rain in the winter since it allows no wind penetration and it’s a bomber. Very thick durable coat.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Check the REI site now for big discounts still available. They had their stratosphere rain jacket marked 50-60% off last week. It’s a solid piece and comes in solid green/brown as well as others if that’s what you want.
I’ve got a space rain jacket in Lrg I’ve been looking to unload, but if you’re looking to bust brush I don’t think it’s sturdy enough to stand up.

what are you looking for on the jacket. I’m not sure what size I’d be but I could probably swing by Cabela’s tomorrow and try one on

I’ve whitetail hunted in Missouri for 12 years and have never needed hunting specific rain gear. If it is torrential, I just don’t hunt or I hunt in a blind.

Short of that, I wear hiking style earth tone or black rain gear ($40-60 stuff), use a tree umbrella, or carry a $3 harbor freight 4x6 tarp and make a shelter.

Honyock

WKR
Watch Camofire for deals on high quality rain gear. Buy good rain gear and skip being soaked and miserable. If it doesn’t keep you dry you might as well be wearing a trash bag.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
$50. Very little use - looks brand new.

Definitely interested, just need to double check sizing. I’m a super weird build and always in between medium and large.

I’ve whitetail hunted in Missouri for 12 years and have never needed hunting specific rain gear. If it is torrential, I just don’t hunt or I hunt in a blind.

Short of that, I wear hiking style earth tone or black rain gear ($40-60 stuff), use a tree umbrella, or carry a $3 harbor freight 4x6 tarp and make a shelter.

Right on. I’ll most likely be in a tree stand and with limited time off work I don’t want to chance not going because of the rain

lkwoolsey

WKR
I’m a huge believer in but once cry once, but since this will be the first year I’ve ever hunted I have quite a list of stuff I need to get.
Rain Gear is the top of my list. Not sure if there is a budget option under $100 that’s pretty decent or should I really step the range up? Will hopefully be whitetail hunting in Ohio, and have a hog hunt planned in georgia for February. Any input appreciated
You can usually get OR or Marmot rain gear for fairly cheap. It's not the cool camo, but it works really well. I run a $100 OR rain jacket that has kept me drier than the really expensive Kuiu stuff (not hating on Kuiu, I ran a Yukon for years and loved it, when I lived in the PNW.)
But, my OR jacket works wonders. I got it for $45 on a sale they had, or a pro deal, can't remember which.
Anyways, both companies make quality stuff for a lower price tag!