Budget glassing setup

Getting back into the hunting game after years away. Growing up, glassing wasn't a thing we did, not seriously anyways. Our hunts would mainly be finding tracks/droppings, tree marks, water sources etc etc but never scanning the hills with glass. Honestly we were successful more than not but it was tough going and we sometimes ended up way farther from the truck/camp than we wanted to be when we finally found an animal.

Long story long, I am basically getting back into hunting from scratch (equipment wise) so while a have a decent overall budget, there is a lot I need. I'm looking for a glassing setup including tripod for around $500. I am not opposed to buying used if it's worth it.

clint6760

FNG
For a good relatively affordable spotting scope, most suggest the atlhon ares UHD 65mm spotter. Leupold bx-4 binos are a good affordable binos

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I ran a set of vortex diamondbacks last year. Upgraded this year to Maven b.2’s this year but the diamondbacks got the job done for what my budget was at the time

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Maven C3’s might be a good fit. Get a demo pair to get 5% off, or if you are a veteran they offer a nice discount, too. If you can find them used and in good condition even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with going with used especially when starting up as it can be a great way to get the most bang for your buck. I cannot recommend a tripod enough; you don't need to spend a small fortune either. It makes a huge difference when glassing.

Reach out to Doug (site sponsor) and chat with him. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Felix40

WKR
There are a whole bunch of different ways to use that budget. If I was going to do it.

Maven C1 10x42 binos for $330. I have a pair as well as some upper end glass (including swaro) and they are very good for the money. I like them better than the higher priced vortex viper.

Outdoorsman bino adapter $110. Its money well spent. You will have it forever. I used a vortex adapter one year and the screw fell out of my bino harness on a backpack trip making it useless. Never again.

Pick any cheap flip lock tripod and just assume you will break or replace it within 5 years. I used a slik U5000 ($20) for several years and it did the job for me. Its my backup now and I know I could find animals using it.

Edited to C1 instead of C3

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
I don't do a ton of conventional glassing, but my setup might fit pretty closely into what you're looking for:

Leupold BX-4 10x42 can be had for $392, including taxes and shipping
Vortex Summit SS-P (used) can be had for $90 if you watch the classifieds
Vortex Uni-dapter can be had for $12 off ebay

The uni-dapter is...not ideal. It will get you by, but I'm going to replace mine with an Outdoorsman. The tripod is fine for me, but some folks don't care for it. The BX-4s are very nice for the money.

If you can swing it, the $1000 range of binoculars are excellent. You have to spend twice as much to get a noticeable improvement, but they are a lot better than the $500 glass.

that being said you can get $1000 glass used for around $600 if you shop around. Zeiss conquest, Leica trinovid, meopta meostar would be on my short list.

Then save up for a spotting scope later on but it’s really not as important as good binoculars

sektr

FNG
There are a whole bunch of different ways to use that budget. If I was going to do it.

Maven C3 10x42 binos for $330. I have a pair as well as some upper end glass (including swaro) and they are very good for the money. I like them better than the higher priced vortex viper.

Outdoorsman bino adapter $110. Its money well spent. You will have it forever. I used a vortex adapter one year and the screw fell out of my bino harness on a backpack trip making it useless. Never again.

Pick any cheap flip lock tripod and just assume you will break or replace it within 5 years. I used a slik U5000 ($20) for several years and it did the job for me. Its my backup now and I know I could find animals using it.
This is exactly what I came to say.

Maven C3 and a decent adapter and junk tripod. You can upgrade the tripod and get a scope down the road. Get 8x or 10x magnification on the binos depending on personal preference.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Maven 42mm objective are C.1’s just so you don’t get confused. C.3’s are 50mm and cost about $50 more for the same magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk