Budget hot tents

BlackSS

FNG
I'll keep this short and sweet:

Late season Colorado rifle hunt. Three guys and gear, 5 day hunt.
Currently considering 2 options: Lite Outdoors Plateau 5 & Luxe Octopeak. If anyone has first hand experience with both of these it would be great to hear from you but please chime in if you've been around / used either one.

Looks like square footage is about the same, but I have seen some info suggesting the Octopeak may be a little larger. Would we be keeping most of our gear outside the tent in both cases assuming stove is set up?

Can anyone comment on differences in quality of materials / build quality?

Would love to find a used SO but they seem pretty difficult to come by and can't justify the cost for a new one given the amount of use this setup will actually see.

TIA

Peregrine1

WKR
Classified Approved
This is a great question…any insights? Kinda wondering the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this is help or not, I don’t have the octopeak but have a smaller luxe. I’m real happy with it and the quality. Mine has been great, a friend of mine had a problem with his and Luxe immediately took care of it. They sure are easy to set up.

Luxe use to be a sponsor here, until a guy here bought a new one, opened it and it had a defect. Luxe refused to warranty it since the guy opened it. The Mods here stepped in and Luxe chose to leave Rokslide. The bottom line is that if you purchase from Luxe, you very likely have no warranty at all. Frankly, I refuse to do business with such businesses. By the way, Luxe is just a guy that purchases in bulk from China and resells the Chinese Products.

With that said, I had a Luxe Mega-Horn. There was nothing wrong with it, and it served me well. However, now knowing that Luxe will not stand behind their product, my money will go elsewhere. If you do purchase from them, I strongly suggest you make payment with a credit card so that you have the consumer protections, in case you need them.

Jbehredt

WKR
Luxe is cheap Chinese junk, marked up to boot. I was shocked when they popped up as as sponsor here. Not nearly as shocked when it abruptly ended.

OP
B

BlackSS

FNG
I have the lite outdoors and it is excellent and would work for 3 guys but would start getting tight if you are talking stove and gear then it's down to a 2 man.
So in your opinion is 3 guys with a stove and a tarp outside to keep gear covered doable? or just not enough room for 3 guys to be comfortable with basically just the stove and minimal gear?

thanks, glad to get some reply’s here.

keller

WKR
I just ordered seek outside.after many times. of trying to save money and getting subpar equipment and no customer service I ordered made in the USA product where you can talk to a real person. Changing and or adding to order no problem as I have done. Couldn't be happier so far.

Jimss

WKR
I guess a lot depends on where you will be hunting and what conditions you expect? You better prepare for the worse if hunting late season in Colo out of a tent! Extended hunts in a tent in bad weather could be a nightmare!

My preference in Colo and Wyo is the back of my truck topper! I often hunt in Western Colo and Wyo where the wind howls! If it snows.....no big deal...I'm protected! A tent would not be fun during the late season! A topper is tough for 3 guys but if each guy has a truck that may work? The last thing I want to do is keep a fire going...collecting wood when I'm back to camp in the dark etc. A truck topper is super mobile and you can move camp each day if desired!

So in your opinion is 3 guys with a stove and a tarp outside to keep gear covered doable? or just not enough room for 3 guys to be comfortable with basically just the stove and minimal gear?

thanks, glad to get some reply’s here.
It would be doable depends on how much wood you have stacked up, for my uses it would be 2 guys at most for comfort

I asked myself this question and after extensive research, rented a house in CO. Lot to be said for hot showers every night, cable TV, a thermostat, toilet and a comfortable bed. :) Was located 2.8 miles from my hunting spot.

Lowg08

WKR
Luxe octopeak. It worked great for three guys and gear and guns and we stayed warm and had enough room. I didn’t want to spend the extra money on a hot tent for max of two trips a year.

j33

WKR
Lite Outdoors is not comparable to Luxe, it’s comparable to Seek Outside for half the price and mostly made overseas. The owner is a hunter up here in Alberta so it is designed properly for the elements. Hunting partner has his setup up here.

Geewhiz

WKR
I know its not one of the ones you are considering, but depending on your budget maybe take a look at the slumberjack outpost 4. I bought one to try out the floorless game. Only spent 1 night in it so far but it was at 9600' and windy. Its big and seams to be fairly well made. 4 guys + gear and room to spare. Time will tell with this one but its in the very affordable price range.

cured_ham

WKR
I have a slumberjack tipi and a LiteOutdoors stove jack that I will be installing later this summer. I may do some extra seam sealing but I expect it to work well

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I have the lite outdoors plateau and agree with another commenter. 2+ a stove is the max I would be comfortable with. With 2 there is plenty of room for gear also, but adding another person even without gear just doesn't seem reasonable. The third person would either have to sleep in front of the tent door or directly in front of the stove door and risk a spark popping your sleeping pad.

The nylon sags a lot overnight and the space inside becomes a far bit smaller, and I'm probably not great at pitching it but if the ground isn't level one side of the tent kind of buckles and makes the space inside smaller.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk