Budget Minded Layering

OP
I
I picked up some OR puffy pants on a real sale. Should be a good for cold, high ridges later in the season.

I also picked up an OR and First Lite baselayer. One is synthetic and one is merino wool. Should be fun to play around with and compare drying and odor.

Sierra trading post is another good option to find really cheap clothes. I believe they are affiliated with TJ Max, but I’m not expert on the shopping front. Looked at some very nice jackets form some name brands over 1/2 price of new.

They obviously have a pretty good online store front. I went to one in person for the first time this weekend and was impressed.

footingit

FNG
Sierra trading post is another good option to find really cheap clothes. I believe they are affiliated with TJ Max, but I’m not expert on the shopping front. Looked at some very nice jackets form some name brands over 1/2 price of new.

They obviously have a pretty good online store front. I went to one in person for the first time this weekend and was impressed.
I’ve found decent stuff there as well. I’m not sure if they sell the “outlet” versions of clothing, I.e. built cheaper. I haven’t run any of their stuff through the wringer, but it’s seemed solid so far.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Sierra trading post is a great resource. Just search “merino” and find all kinds of goodies. I picked up an OD green 100% merino sweater for 30 bucks and it’s been in my hunting kit for several years now. It makes a great mid layer for colder hunts. I also love the Columbia synthetic boxer briefs, I get them at Sierra Trading post for pretty cheap. I’ve got a drawer full of smart wool socks from there too.
The Eddie Bauer pants from Costco suck in my opinion. My wife bought me a pair last year and I can’t stand them. They are loud, they fit weird, and every seam appears to be single stitched, so I really can’t see they would last long.
Prana zions on sale at Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post or the like is a good alternative. I’ve got a stack of them now and never have paid more than 50 dollars a pair. You just have to be looking for deals and sales.
I am a cheap bastard for sure, BUT I also appreciate quality. I’m not going to buy cheap clothing if it’s not made well. You don’t have to spend retail prices on good gear, you just have to shop smarter. Camofire, Sierra Trading Post, campsaver, steep and cheap, moosejaw. All of them have served me well and allowed me to purchase good quality items at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierra trading post is a great resource. Just search “merino” and find all kinds of goodies. I picked up an OD green 100% merino sweater for 30 bucks and it’s been in my hunting kit for several years now. It makes a great mid layer for colder hunts. I also love the Columbia synthetic boxer briefs, I get them at Sierra Trading post for pretty cheap. I’ve got a drawer full of smart wool socks from there too.
The Eddie Bauer pants from Costco suck in my opinion. My wife bought me a pair last year and I can’t stand them. They are loud, they fit weird, and every seam appears to be single stitched, so I really can’t see they would last long.
Prana zions on sale at Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post or the like is a good alternative. I’ve got a stack of them now and never have paid more than 50 dollars a pair. You just have to be looking for deals and sales.
I am a cheap bastard for sure, BUT I also appreciate quality. I’m not going to buy cheap clothing if it’s not made well. You don’t have to spend retail prices on good gear, you just have to shop smarter. Camofire, Sierra Trading Post, campsaver, steep and cheap, moosejaw. All of them have served me well and allowed me to purchase good quality items at a reasonable price.

Agree with this post 100%. I could care less about matching camo. We got our Sitka from Camofire, my sons sleeping bag, air mattress and head lamps from Sierra.com as well as my MR Terraframe at a fraction of what it would cost anywhere else. Most of our camping equipment came from Moosejaw on sale fir 30% in points to additional purchase and signed in through active junky which saved us from 10-20% in cash back. By doing this we literally saved about $1500 gearing up for our first elk hunt.

Found some Hanes base layers at Walmart the other day for like $20. Also Costco is my friend ,Merino trail socks, Merino base layer tops @20 ,down puffy vest, and soft shell pants from BC clothing. Thrift shops rock as well, I have a down puffy coat and now synthetic puffy for a total of three bucks each.

Gorp2007

WKR
My issued grid fleece is probably the #1 most likely layer to be in my pack at all times and while I prefer my FL Corrugates, I'd have no problem endorsing the EB guide pants or Prana pants for hunting. Hate the velcro back pocket on the EB guides, though.

SIR_34:16

FNG
Agree with this post 100%. I could care less about matching camo. We got our Sitka from Camofire, my sons sleeping bag, air mattress and head lamps from Sierra.com as well as my MR Terraframe at a fraction of what it would cost anywhere else. Most of our camping equipment came from Moosejaw on sale fir 30% in points to additional purchase and signed in through active junky which saved us from 10-20% in cash back. By doing this we literally saved about $1500 gearing up for our first elk hunt.

++3 Camofire frequently has deals on merino baselayers. I've picked up the beanie, mid weight crew, heavyweight hoody, and heavy weight bottoms and they have served very well.