Budget Minded Layering

Hi all, In case it's useful to anyone, I have put together a layering system that should be pretty good for the money. Many guys on the site spend big money on top of the line clothes. I feel that's unnecessary. I've never been one to care too much about clothing. I grew up hunting in blue jeans, a flannel jacket, and a ballcap, just like my grandpa. I did just fine. Now I've been in remote country soaked in low temps and that isn't fun so I do think it's worth spending some money to get some decent clothes. My opinion is that non-hunting brands are significantly cheaper, especially with the deals available, for the same or better quality. All the items below receive really positive reviews (except the generic baselayers) from unbiased outdoor companies and consumer reviewers. Note: you have to look at a number of sites to get away from the risk of bias. I've spent some time researching and waiting for deals and come up with the following:

Pants-Wrangler hiking pants- $20ish normally $0 for me because a member here was kind enough to offer to send me his when I was discussing budget hiking pants options
Down-RAB microlight alpine jacket- $180
Fleece-North Face TKA Glacier 1/4 Zip- $34
Rain jacket-Marmot Men's Precip Eco- $50
Baselayers-cheap, highly-rated Amazon ones, they were pretty generic

If it's colder, I'll pack the fleece and down jackets and the down will just come out when I get up to the ridges for glassing.

Feel free to shoot over any questions.

Last edited:

THunt

FNG
I run the Eddie Bauer hiking pants I bought at the outlet for around 30 or 40 bucks. Tried to destroy a pair this year but they're still clipping right along. Old Cabelas gortex rain jacket to stay dry and it breaks the wind, some knock off brand Realtree camo hoodie (not cotton), and a pretty worn Columbia base layer. The base layer needed a backup, so Goodwill to the rescue with a thermal sports undershirt for 5 bucks or so...only expensive, top of the line clothing is boots, and they're worth every penny....save your money for gas and tags (though I've got an addiction to guns too)

Vandy321

WKR
Awesome thread idea. I'll 2nd those eddie bauer pants, I've got this first ascent and then the plain fleece lined eddie bauer pants, both are awesome and for sub $50, cant hardly be beat.

OP
I
Good to hear you guys are finding some alternatives that you’re working for you. I do feel like I could have done this on half the budget and not given up too much.

rj2

WKR
I love the wranglers. I just got a pair of the Eddie Bauer guides and I like the wranglers better.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've had two pairs of the Wrangler pants and they've both fell apart on me at the seams. Easy pass for me on those although a lot of guys like them I'm not in that camp at all. I'll pay a little more for pants that I trust. RAB makes excellent gear, I have an Alpha Freak pullover hoody that's less than half the price of hunting related polartec alpha pieces, and I can wear it every day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think I gave a little over a hundred bucks for the RAB pullover

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Wrangler outdoor pants are nice but honestly they're cut slim. I feel like I'm wearing skinny jeans when I'm wearing them. Instead I got a couple pair off Amazon that were labeled as their outdoor pants but are a little looser fitting and have cargo pockets on each side. I like those a lot better.

The military surplus grid fleece tops and bottoms are great for the money too.

Vandy321

WKR
While we're at it...Darn Tough may not be the cheapest socks, at $15-20 per pair...but with a lifetime warranty,you basically get unlimited socks for $20.

rj2

WKR
The Wrangler outdoor pants are nice but honestly they're cut slim. I feel like I'm wearing skinny jeans when I'm wearing them. Instead I got a couple pair off Amazon that were labeled as their outdoor pants but are a little looser fitting and have cargo pockets on each side. I like those a lot better.

you might like the eddie bauer guide pro. they are a little roomier everywhere than the wranglers.

OP
I
The Wrangler cut is a little slim. Could cause issues depending. I’ve liked mine, used them for two seasons

Agross

WKR
The wrangler pants are flat out great. I have ten pair, insulated and non insulated , and a couple pair of the shorts. those that had em fall apart must either have bad luck or dragged em down a gravel road while wearing them. i wore em to work every day all summer doing concrete construction and haven't ruined a pair yet. They are so light and comfy, and dry fast. That being said they are a little skinnier of a fit but feel they loosen up some after you've worn em a couple times. Maybe ill have to try the Eddie Bauer ones next.

OP
I
The wrangler pants are flat out great. I have ten pair, insulated and non insulated , and a couple pair of the shorts. those that had em fall apart must either have bad luck or dragged em down a gravel road while wearing them. i wore em to work every day all summer doing concrete construction and haven't ruined a pair yet. They are so light and comfy, and dry fast. That being said they are a little skinnier of a fit but feel they loosen up some after you've worn em a couple times. Maybe ill have to try the Eddie Bauer ones next.
Link to the insulated version pretty please? Thanks!

Were the Amazon ones made under the trailside supply co. brand?

Were the Amazon ones made under the trailside supply co. brand?
I don't think so. They're called "Wrangler authentic Nylon cargo pants" or something like they. They're more like a light ripstop material than the stretchy poly material of the outdoor skinny leg pants. A little louder to walk in but more durable in brush and dry out super fast.

Agross

WKR
Link to the insulated version pretty please? Thanks!
Sorry. Ive never looked for them online. I just happened to stumble on them a couple years ago while looking at the uninsulated ones. They were at meijer and walmart by me . I really like em because they have a fleece lining, but its not very thick. Its more of a thin layer so they don't bunch up and they aren't too warm wearing them being active when its quite cold out. I did notice the the first pairs I bought a couple years ago fit a little looser than the last two pairs I picked up this last fall and were made maybe just a fuzz better. But still great pants for the price. I just go up one size in the waste. I literally wear em all winter. I do wish they had a little bit looser fit, but for the cost and comfort, I like em alot. I think they were 25-26 dollars. I feel like half the time I go to buy either ones, insulated or non insulated, they are on sale. Ive prolly spent 12-15 on more pairs than I have paid full price.